Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Associate
Anyone found an issue to the freesync flickering yet? It’s so annoying during loading screens and cutscenes. I’ve tried a different display port cable, changed the frequency on CRU but nothing is working! I have the latest firmware as I have the HDR and Freesync logo on start up? I suppose I’ll have to contact Iiyama to fix it. It’s such a shame because it’s a beautiful screen, I have a feeling this issue won’t be resolved and I’ll have to get another monitor!

Associate
Is there anyone who uses this for office based applications, word, powerpoint, internet browsing etc?

I'm stuck between this and the FLAT IPS version and would appreciate some advice.

Associate
Anyone found an issue to the freesync flickering yet? It’s so annoying during loading screens and cutscenes. I’ve tried a different display port cable, changed the frequency on CRU but nothing is working! I have the latest firmware as I have the HDR and Freesync logo on start up? I suppose I’ll have to contact Iiyama to fix it. It’s such a shame because it’s a beautiful screen, I have a feeling this issue won’t be resolved and I’ll have to get another monitor!

If I'm not mistaken, the very latest firmware shows a Iiyama-4-gamers logo, different from previous one - at least on the flat IPS version

Are you 100% sure your DP cable is VESA certified?

Associate

There is no solution, it's a hardware issue, I'm all but willing to bet it's the panel since all monitors with this panel from all manufacturers suffer exactly the same issue. This business with the new firmware slightly reduced the severity of the issue but in no way solved, eliminated or fixed it.

It's not the cables either, I have 8k@60Hz / 4k@120hz certified dp 1.4 and hdmi 2.1 cables that ran fine at 165Hz @2k & 120Hz @4k on gsync certified panels that had no flickering issues at all but flicker with this monitor and the "new firmware".

Associate

I'm getting the same issue when playing BFV. tired all different DP Cables. But it's fine when free-sync is turned off. which isn't ideal for screen tearing.
Compared to a 27 or 32 inch monitor. the ultra wide feels like you're more immersed in the game.
I'll have to contact them also. as later down the line if i decide to sell it, no one will want it with that issue.

Associate
I'm sure the cable worked fine in other monitors, but is the brand and model of the cable in this list? https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

Yes, the cable is in the list.

Let me ask you this, a question of logic.
If the monitor works, at 144hz, with freesync off, and does not flicker, but it does when you turn freesync on, why would you look at the cable to be the issue?
Bandwidth is bandwidth, enabling freesync does not increase bandwidth, that is dependent on the resolution, color depth and frequency / framerate.

The amount of data / bandwidth passing through the cable is the same at a given resolution, color depth and frequency, regardless of whether freesync is on or off.
At 3440x1440, 144 Hz, 8 bit color we are talking about 21.40 Gbps which is less than half the capacity of an 8K 60Hz / 4K 120Hz Vesa certified cable which should work at 48Gbps.

The fact that ALL of these 3440x1440, 100 - 144Hz curved VA panel $300 - $600 monitors flicker and none are officially G-Sync compatible certified should tell you something.

I am currently using a monoprice monitor with the same specs, it actually has in my eyes a better quality panel, less smearing, no dead pixels, clearer text and cost less, than the IIyama, however... there is a high pitch 9.7KHz tone coming from the left of the panel where the power input is, seems to be the backlight driver / power supply, I'm not a monitor manufacturer, I can't say what it is for sure but it's only audible when the panel is lit so...
The sound drives me crazy and I am on my second panel, both displays are flawless except for the high pitch noise which I can't stand, leaves me with my ears wringing the whole day. Oh, and it flickers, however, less than that IIyama did.

So if anyone is slightly tone deaf or can't hear above 9KHz give it a try, to me the panel is superior (OSD is horrible but who plays around with that after you set it up good once). The monoprice Dark Matter 34" 144Hz, 1500R curved display.
Hey, maybe I was just super unlucky and got two ones with a bad power unit that squeals in a row.
I will be sending the second unit back as well.

I have another IIyama ordered from Amazon for delivery in February, will see if I just had a super bad unit the first time round, hey, maybe I can snag a 30x0 Nvidia GPU or a 6x00 AMD and try my luck with that, I currently have a 2060s.

If that IIyama also flickers a lot or has other quality issues then I will just stop with 34" ultrawides for a while (I can't afford the €900 LG), I never should have gotten rid of my 16:9 165Hz 2K G-Sync compatible certified Dell, it was so beautiful, no smearing, no flickering, alas I wanted the immersion that this 34" ultrawide offered however the quality / performance issues are hard to overlook.

Associate
Had this monitor a good few months now and it has been great, however, having lots of flickering with Horizon Zero Dawn and it will just have to go back at some point. Real shame as everything else is great about it. Now I need to find alternatives in the UW category and go through all the panel lottery again.

Associate
Yes, the cable is in the list.

Let me ask you this, a question of logic.
If the monitor works, at 144hz, with freesync off, and does not flicker, but it does when you turn freesync on, why would you look at the cable to be the issue?
Bandwidth is bandwidth, enabling freesync does not increase bandwidth, that is dependent on the resolution, color depth and frequency / framerate.

The amount of data / bandwidth passing through the cable is the same at a given resolution, color depth and frequency, regardless of whether freesync is on or off.
At 3440x1440, 144 Hz, 8 bit color we are talking about 21.40 Gbps which is less than half the capacity of an 8K 60Hz / 4K 120Hz Vesa certified cable which should work at 48Gbps.

The fact that ALL of these 3440x1440, 100 - 144Hz curved VA panel $300 - $600 monitors flicker and none are officially G-Sync compatible certified should tell you something.

I am currently using a monoprice monitor with the same specs, it actually has in my eyes a better quality panel, less smearing, no dead pixels, clearer text and cost less, than the IIyama, however... there is a high pitch 9.7KHz tone coming from the left of the panel where the power input is, seems to be the backlight driver / power supply, I'm not a monitor manufacturer, I can't say what it is for sure but it's only audible when the panel is lit so...
The sound drives me crazy and I am on my second panel, both displays are flawless except for the high pitch noise which I can't stand, leaves me with my ears wringing the whole day. Oh, and it flickers, however, less than that IIyama did.

So if anyone is slightly tone deaf or can't hear above 9KHz give it a try, to me the panel is superior (OSD is horrible but who plays around with that after you set it up good once). The monoprice Dark Matter 34" 144Hz, 1500R curved display.
Hey, maybe I was just super unlucky and got two ones with a bad power unit that squeals in a row.
I will be sending the second unit back as well.

I have another IIyama ordered from Amazon for delivery in February, will see if I just had a super bad unit the first time round, hey, maybe I can snag a 30x0 Nvidia GPU or a 6x00 AMD and try my luck with that, I currently have a 2060s.

If that IIyama also flickers a lot or has other quality issues then I will just stop with 34" ultrawides for a while (I can't afford the €900 LG), I never should have gotten rid of my 16:9 165Hz 2K G-Sync compatible certified Dell, it was so beautiful, no smearing, no flickering, alas I wanted the immersion that this 34" ultrawide offered however the quality / performance issues are hard to overlook.

I see your point :) I mentioned the cable just in case, there's loads of bad marketing out there.

As for the 34'' monitors in general, I have often wondered why is there still a big gap in price between the GSync ones of the last 1 or 2 years (the AW3420, the LG 950, the Acer Predator Z35/X34, AOC AGON 352, etc) and this new wave of monitors that sell for half price of their predecessors. I guess the answer is quality.

Not surprised you miss your Dell btw, they are just the best brand :) Despite having no issues with it, the IPS panel on the Iiyama 3461 doesnt really give me anything that I don't get on the VA panel of my Dell S3221QS

Associate
Associate
Do you think this Would this be a better alternative? this monitor has a mind of it's own for me Lol! I was getting some strange sound at one point. and i have the updated firmware.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...acklit-gaming-monitor-mo-059-ao.html#comments

Sorry to bear bad news but it suffers exactly the same issues.
Read reviews from locations other than where you are buying the unit from and preferably not on a sight that sells anything at all, there you got honest reviews, that's a general rule or tip by the way.
If you do a quick search you will find reviews stating flickering issues with the AoC as well.

I see your point :) I mentioned the cable just in case, there's loads of bad marketing out there.

As for the 34'' monitors in general, I have often wondered why is there still a big gap in price between the GSync ones of the last 1 or 2 years (the AW3420, the LG 950, the Acer Predator Z35/X34, AOC AGON 352, etc) and this new wave of monitors that sell for half price of their predecessors. I guess the answer is quality.

Not surprised you miss your Dell btw, they are just the best brand :) Despite having no issues with it, the IPS panel on the Iiyama 3461 doesnt really give me anything that I don't get on the VA panel of my Dell S3221QS

Check out the LG 34GN850-B, that's the only 34" curved G-Sync compatible certified one I know of.
That Dell I mentioned actually uses an LG panel.

Associate
Check out the LG 34GN850-B, that's the only 34" curved G-Sync compatible certified one I know of.
That Dell I mentioned actually uses an LG panel.

There's actually more 34'' curved GSync ones: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ .

The 34GN850-B is appealing but can't even find a price for it that competes with the Dell AW3420DW. I did find a 34GK950G for circa 720 pounds, still a bit too much imo.

Still kicking myself for missing that AOC Agon AG352UCG6 for 399 during Black Friday :(

Associate
There's actually more 34'' curved GSync ones: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ .

The 34GN850-B is appealing but can't even find a price for it that competes with the Dell AW3420DW. I did find a 34GK950G for circa 720 pounds, still a bit too much imo.

Still kicking myself for missing that AOC Agon AG352UCG6 for 399 during Black Friday :(

Keep in mind G-Sync Compatible, G-Sync Compatible Certified and G-Sync are three separate things, unfortunately people incorrectly interchange the expressions all the time but there is an important distinction between all three.

I specifically am looking for a G-Sync compatible certified just in case I get an AMD GPU in the future.

Yeah, unless one gives out nearly $1000 in the 34" curved monitor segment we are going to have to deal with these monitors with lots of performance / quality issues.
Heck, that LG 34GN850-B being IPS often has huge backlight uniformity problems.

On the other hand, if one can wait, due to HDMI 2.1 recently being available on consumer devices we can hope to see a bunch of 4K 120Hz TV's and I presume monitors of similar specs in 2021.

Are these still having flickering issues if i buy a new one now?

Yes

Associate
I bought one of these under the impression that the new firmware has resolved the issue.
Got it at a decent price at the time but inevitably its got the same problem.
Loading in games its the worst, sitting on the desktop less so but it does happen.

Got my 3080 6 weeks after the monitor arrived and sat idle and as soon as I get things going I notice, its flickering.
Contacted the retailer who collected it then told me its over the returns period and their 'testing' didn't show the issue. I had sent them a video of it happening and they still said it was fine and no matter how much I fought with them they kept asking me for my address to send it back.
Have it back now (4 weeks later) and it flickered within minutes of turning it on.

Same results and symptoms as Reytak when I tested things out. (Cables, Freesync on=bad/off=good) - Did see somewhere that turning the refresh rate down to 143hz was suppose to help? Im trying it now so hopefully it does something.
Gonna contact Iiyama after and see will they do anything. :cool:

Associate
Similar to my experiences in games. Loading and menu screens have a bit of flicker with Freesync on but if I run the game in windowed/full screen mode this disappears.

When actually in-game I don't notice any flicker in or out of windowed/full screen with Freesync on so just play at full screen and just look past any flicker in loading/menu parts.

General use outside of games has been fine. No dead or stuck pixels and I'm more than happy with the whole wide screen aspect.

I got mine at a good price and although I'm generally happy with it, I couldn't ''hand on heart'' recommend it anyone paying full price for what's marketed as a gaming monitor with the issues it has.

Associate
Associate
Is there anyone who uses this for office based applications, word, powerpoint, internet browsing etc?

I'm stuck between this and the FLAT IPS version and would appreciate some advice.

Yes this is my daily use monitor for work when I used to have two flat screens side by side previously.
Works spot on, what concerns did you have?

Back
Top Bottom