**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 20/Ultra Thread ****

Soldato
But sadly not from the Play store. If they allowed this and a bit more flexibility with grid size I'd be quite happy with One UI.

Grid size and icon pack support is a must. Shame as 3rd party launchers aren't 100% smooth with android gesture navigation.

Oneplus has the best OEM launcher with its nova like options.

Soldato
I'd love to be able to have the font set I want more than anything. I think it's blinking scandalous that we're tied to the samsung store fonts and the pitiful choice of free ones. I can't use/transfer my favourite fonts from my old Note, they just don't work/install.

Associate
Grid size and icon pack support is a must. Shame as 3rd party launchers aren't 100% smooth with android gesture navigation.

Oneplus has the best OEM launcher with its nova like options.

I agree about Oxygen OS as far as customisation is concerned. I just don't get why Samsung has Good Lock, which allows me to change pretty much everything...apart from having sensibly sized and placed icons on my MASSIVE 6.9" screen!

Soldato
As someone who has owned previous galaxy Notes - best phones I had, how is the Note 20 ultra? Does anyone regret buying it? My upgrade is due start of Jan, I'm keen on going back to a completely flat screen but my options seems very limited in that respect. If I can't have that, it has to be a Note again. It's certainly not cheap :eek:

Associate
As someone who has owned previous galaxy Notes - best phones I had, how is the Note 20 ultra? Does anyone regret buying it? My upgrade is due start of Jan, I'm keen on going back to a completely flat screen but my options seems very limited in that respect. If I can't have that, it has to be a Note again. It's certainly not cheap :eek:

I've got one and really like it. And it's the Exynos version!

SOT is not great though and I'm getting around four hours which leaves me at 15 percent battery at the end of the day. But it does also seem to be getting better, and while I've done certain things to maximise the battery, there's plenty I could do to improve things. The thing charges so quickly as well that I don't really think it's an issue. I just used it as an excuse to buy the new Samsung wireless power bank!

The SD version is clearly better than the Exynos one though, and I'd therefore say the UK version is not really worth £1179. But, mine was under £800 on Black Friday .which I think was a bit of a bargain.

Everything is smooth, the screen is great, speakers are the best I've ever heard, One UI gets better and better and the camera is very good. Biometrics work well and I love the form factor.

Should you buy one? Full price for the Exynos would be hard to justify. But if you can get it at a good price and maximum performance / battery life is not an issue, then I'd say go for it. Alternatively, import the SD version, but you'll obviously lose the international warranty.

The other option is to wait and see what comes along in early Jan with the S21. I don't think there will be any bargains to be had, but prices of the Note may soften slightly. I'd also expect some lightly used handsets to hit the market which people purchased on Black Friday and have either decided is not for them, or have upgraded to an S21.

Soldato
Thanks ^

Certainly given me some things to think about. I'm hoping to squeeze a reasonable deal out of EE, I will get 20% off anyway as I have a code.

When's the S21 due out?

Associate
Exynos 2100 will be on par with the new Snapdragon 888 next year so there will be no noticeable differences in performance or battery between the two allegedly.
The Note 20 Ultra has recently been on Samsung's website for £900 they do have deals and it's always best to shop around but on the Samsung website they give options to trade in and pay monthly and upgrade programs.

As for the Exynos version, I find it to be an excellent device, of course the Snapdragon is slightly superior but in general usage most people will not know the difference but power users for productivity or gaming will notice the battery life is not on par with the Snapdragon 865+

Last edited:
Associate
Same here I have the Exynos Note 20 Ultra & have no problems with it, if anything it's now better in both performance & battery life than it was nearly 4 months ago when it first launched, thanks to a few updates it had since then.
Also Android 11 & One Ui 3.0 is just around the corner for it as well, I say in the next week or so while it's now been released in America for AT&T at least.

Associate
Having owned the SnapDragon variant now of the Note 20 Ultra must say it's brilliant with the exception of the camera having challanges with people shots and colours being over saturated.

Battery life is amazing, never have to think about the battery and never overheats unlike my previous Exynos s20+, performance is great and no lag.

Eager to see what One UI 3 brings, if they can optmise the camera a little better this will be the perfect phone. I do also have a Pixel 5 on order as I wanted to test it out for the camera and a slightly smaler device, looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against the note given the weaker processor.

Associate
The problems with the camera, is that the front or rear?

Are all your other photos fine?

I wonder if its a Snapdragon thing?

I have to admit I don't really take people pictures & I never take selfies.

Associate
Hi,

It's mainly how unaccurate the colours are and also when you want to take pictures of kids or people the over smoothing with ALL beauty features/settings turned off. I think it's the 108mp camera sensor is not that great really and shows that more pixels don't mean better quality, the s20+ took far better pictures generally with the Sony Camera sensor. I don't take selfies either but want to have the good photos of my kids, at the price for the Note 20 they should be doing a better job.

I did see a few complaints about the camera on XDA plus some articles from professional photographers saying how dissapointed they are with the Note 20 Ultra (SD version). Samsung need to optimise there software processing badly and I'm hoping they start to fix with One UI 3 update.

Been toying with the Pixel 5 for just under 24 hours and the camera quality for photos is superior without a doubt with quicker shutter speeds, it's really made me question whether we need to be spending crazy money on phones any more.

The lower power processor doesn't really impact real life use (maybe if your a gamer) in the Pixel, interesting also how small it is given it still has a 6" display. When I picked up the Note 20 it seemed massive and really heavy, funny how you quickly.

Associate
Amazing what Google manage to do with the same old lenses, even Apple starting with the iPhone 11 have really started to accelerate their camera software processing.

This is where Samsung needs to really raise their game, no one doubts the hardware .

Looking forward to trying Android 11 with the Note 20 Ultra , for now really enjoying the Pixel 5

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom