*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
@SS-89 - There's a photo mode competition on Twitter. The prizes are a bit garish mind and you're not allowed to edit the pics so no reshade.

After initially been blown away by this game, i'm going to stop playing now. There's just too much immersion breaking stuff happening. Will come back in 6 months or whenever i hear they've released a major update.

I've encountered a couple but it doesn't particularly affect my enjoyment of the game. Hope you don't have to wait too long.

Soldato
There's some incredible side quest in this game where Johnny is like the devil on your shoulder, I like to pee him off he seems to respect you more, such fantastic story telling.

Man of Honour
I agree with this, yeah the AI isn't as good as the AI in GTA5 but I'm loving the story so far. I'm only 10 hours in but so far I'm in love with this game so for people like us that like this type of game we're happy.

I totally understand though, this game isn't for everyone.

While it is hard to do AI well it isn't actually hard to do AI that behaves in an engaging way and mimics some kind of intelligent behaviour it is just lazy programming and/or lack of imagination.

Soldato
Tried taking on some high level gangers around corpo plaza. Got absolutely rekt, one shotted a couple of times. I will be back for them.

Soldato
Tried taking on some high level gangers around corpo plaza. Got absolutely rekt, one shotted a couple of times. I will be back for them.
I tried a very high risk mission and got one shot killed, need lots of upgrades before trying again. I just worked out how to use the points to upgrade body and other bits, had 28 points so might go back and try again after getting some better mods.

Soldato
Interesting that Digital Foundry noted that AMD cpus perform significantly worse than Intel ones in this game. Wonder if it's to do with that reddit thread and HEX hack from yesterday.

Soldato
It's going to be mighty interesting to see where things go with major patches once the initial bug fixing and optimising ones are out of the way...

As if we really do want to try and give CDPR the benefit of the doubt then it's possible that their earlier claims of "thousands" of hand crafted NPCs with unique routines and interactions with the player etc. weren't "lies" but ended up being very very nearly working and at the eleventh hour "ahhh it's just a little bit too buggy swap the NPC script for the basic one where they are lifeless and we'll finish it off properly later"

On the same note it's possible they could bring back some of the ideas they admitted to cutting later (like the car customisation). I just hope that the same suits who forced them to release it asap will be willing to let them follow through on it all properly

Rom

Rom

Associate
Im really struggling with deciding which build to go for. I hoarded my points, until I used both of them in Tech to open a door for a mission.
Not spent any of the others yet.
I assumed Id go for a gun build, but early game, the blades seem better at least.

Also, wondering if I should get the Legendary Sub Armour, or if it will just be obsolete mid game?

Soldato
Finished. I guess I'd score it around a 7 or so, but keep in mind I'm judging it with itself not so much other games in general (what I mean is, let's say CP2077 is a 7, and I give Civ6 an 8, that doesn't mean Civ6 is a better game than CP2077, they're just not the same food at all).

Overall I can't say I'm too disappointed, though I did think there'd be more to it. I knew the main story was going to be short from the reviews so I did lots & lots of side gigs, but even so it was WAY shorter than I expected.
I will give them this though, compared to The Witcher 3 they vastly improved on gameplay combat & progression, which were that game's biggest weaknesses. The actual fighting is a LOT of fun, the guns feel great to shoot and I ended up enjoying smart weapons a lot more than I thought I would, but mostly I just played a gorilla arms build and pummelled everyone to death, that feels the most cyberpunk to me.
Unfortunately I'd say in terms of the actual story telling it was worse, by quite a bit. They set up really nice cinematic moments but almost every section of the game felt like it was incomplete, like you were reading excerpts. Then we couple that with their penchant for pseudo-philosophizing like a teen kid who just stumbled unto literature written by people who've also stumbled unto philosophy but never engaged it deeply at all and it I just can't help but roll my eyes and skip through it. Not sure this would bother most people, but it did me. And don't get me started on the ending(s) - bleah.
Then should we go for the other elements? The rudimentary AI? The low interactivity of the world? The sections (such as races & driving in general) which looked to be even below average and almost busted? My issue is not even so much any single element like that but rather that pretty much all of them are like that when you examine them even a bit, and there's nothing to find that's redeeming.

I mean, there's a lot to pick through, and honestly not sure I even care anymore. It's a game that's tearing at the seams & there's plenty of flaws in every single section. I think though my main question is - why make it open world? It's clear that they want to do these "cinematic" games, but then why bother making the open world? Again, I enjoyed the combat and I certainly like going through night city, but I also feel like that doesn't last long enough for a player such that you'd pour all this work into it. If they do a Cyberpunk 2077 mark II then okay, I understand, that makes sense, but as it stands & as I've been reflecting on the game while playing it I just don't get it. The open world part - by itself - is below average, and then the main story missions & how they all tie-in are I'd say good, but not great nor all the interesting. So what's left? And at least if they focused all their energy on the cinematic part and make it a linear or at least semi-linear experience then they could deliver better on that.

One thing I do dream of though is VR support. Just looking around Night City at all the buildings going past and oh man, you just can't do justice to the world they've built in terms of feeling the depth of the game. Maybe with a microLED ultrawide wall or something, but they've done it immensely and even a 55" flat screen just is too small to convey the feeling properly.

Like I said, if they do a sequel then it could be truly great provided they work on the gameplay aspects & systems in order to improve the actual open world part of it, but frankly the writing & story structure needed much more work too, everything just felt too disjointed. Imo if they had forgotten the premise around Silverhand and just went more for building V's reputation (with Jackie & all) and just made it a Night City story, it would've turned into a 100 times better experience. I'll stop tho, I could keep adding thoughts to it for days, but it's not worth it, there's just too much wrong here.

At least we got a cool OST out of it. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom