• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Associate
The poll wasn't "interested", it was "sway your purchase right now".

Am i interested in RT? Heck yes.
Will it sway my decision on a card? Maybe, but unlikely. If I am buying a card less than the 3080 then it's a solid "hell no!", Because the RT perf isn't even there to make it worthwhile even in the games that use it.
No man look at the wording in the poll.
"if you were able to buy a GPU right now, which of the things might be most important to you? "
so 23% (not 30%) of those buying will buy a GPU with higher RT performance (irrespective of raster performance)
I am further adding an assumption that this is conditional on price ranges being constant.
Yes, we can argue that the poll is badly worded or badly designed... but for now lets assume that its not true.
I would be looking at buying probabilities and then check how the intersections pan out.
The thing is that a review cannot be customised for each consumer, its standard issue for the masses

Nope, that's where you are wrong. 23% of gamers who game AND build PCs (I mean they are watching a hardware channel) care about RT.

What is the percentage of gamers who build their own systems? Tiny. What is the percentage of people who game AND build their own PCs AND can afford a GPU that lets them turn RT on? Almost non-existent.

So to summarize, RT is **** right now, so very few people base their purchasing decisions on it.
That will need an entirely new set of data.. you are introducing new partitions

Permabanned
I'm very late reading up on this. Just strengthens my view that I go with an all-AMD system this time round. Also makes me happier that I skipped Turing, along with these awful launches demonstrating that I'm best holding off in general.

Soldato
No man look at the wording in the poll.
"if you were able to buy a GPU right now, which of the things might be most important to you? "
so 23% (not 30%) of those buying will buy a GPU with higher RT performance (irrespective of raster performance)
I am further adding an assumption that this is conditional on price ranges being constant.
Yes, we can argue that the poll is badly worded or badly designed... but for now lets assume that its not true.
I would be looking at buying probabilities and then check how the intersections pan out.
The thing is that a review cannot be customised for each consumer, its standard issue for the masses

That will need an entirely new set of data.. you are introducing new partitions

About 5% of pc gamers are bothered about RT and these new gpu's.

AMD made like 20 of them and nvidia made about 200 of them worldwide and there is a user base that likes to buy the latest and greatest about 1000 people worlwide.

Soldato
They didn't ignore the ray tracing performance it had its own separate video....There's really no point in you sticking your oar in when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Yeah and it was good, Tim went over quite a lot really, there is two of them and sometimes they split things up so they both can do a video.

Soldato
About 5% of pc gamers are bothered about RT and these new gpu's.

AMD made like 20 of them and nvidia made about 200 of them worldwide and there is a user base that likes to buy the latest and greatest about 1000 people worlwide.

1000 people worldwide who buy the latest and greatest PC hardware? Dude, there will be more than 1000 just in the UK!

Associate
1000 people worldwide who buy the latest and greatest PC hardware? Dude, there will be more than 1000 just in the UK!
Wrong. There won't be 1000 Big Navi buyers in the UK. Maybe if you add the ones who will buy the lastest but no so great hardware from Nvidia, you will get close to 1000. :)

Soldato
Because no one has given a concrete reason for me to change my mind.
Its my opinion so it matters to me. If a company gives a reviewer a product for free to review and show all its capabilities but the reviewer just picks raster performance and ignores the other features claiming that no one is interested in them then yea i will stick to my opinion.
If reviewer buys the hardware with their own hard earned then they can do whatever they like in the review and not cry afterwards that they dont get any more freebees.

What you missed is they stated in the first video they were going to flow up with RTX/DLSS. So they didn't ignore anything but stated that RTX isn't as critical as Rasterisation at this point because there isn't as many people that can take advantage of it and also there are not as many games that currently support it.

They reviewed it based on what the poll they put up wanted which was 77% for none RTX. But yeah going back to the point is that they did actually test and have always tested RTX/DLSS.

Soldato
see no one is actually pointing me to these videos but keeps getting mentioned in posts. iv just checked hardware unboxed channel and can see the latest video they have is a rtx one on cyberpunk from yesterday. so i can only assume from that they are now doing raytracing reviews.

Soldato
see no one is actually pointing me to these videos but keeps getting mentioned in posts. iv just checked hardware unboxed channel and can see the latest video they have is a rtx one on cyberpunk from yesterday. so i can only assume from that they are now doing raytracing reviews.
30 seconds it took me to find this.
An entire video dedicated to RT posted 3 months ago.

Soldato
Wrong. There won't be 1000 Big Navi buyers in the UK. Maybe if you add the ones who will buy the lastest but no so great hardware from Nvidia, you will get close to 1000. :)

You don't have any idea how many units stores actually move. I'll bet you a thousand quid that more than 1000 units of the 6900xt will be sold in the UK within the next 3 months.

Soldato
so thats the video nvidia responded to with the email and embargo on giving them rtx cards? will watch now.
The speculation is that it is more to do with the RDNA 2 reviews and HUB not focussing more on RT and DLSS in those videos, which annoyed Nvidia.
However the video i've posted shows that HUB do make videos about RT and DLSS before this whole mess occured.

Soldato
so thats the video nvidia responded to with the email and embargo on giving them rtx cards? will watch now.

Nah that's not what Nvidia is complaining about - it's hardware unboxed's main GPU review videos

For example their initial FE 3080 review that I've included below. It's a 35 minute video where they test a couple dozen games and go into a lot of depth - however about 20 seconds of those 35 minutes is dedicated to discussing Ray Tracing and DLSS, that's what Nvidia is mad about.

And then again in the 6800xt/6900xt review they dedicated about 30 seconds to Ray Tracing and didn't much effort into comparing AMD and Nvidia cards.

So essentially, Nvidia is saying for them RT is a big feature of their GPU with a significant part of the die allocated to RT and Tensor cores - but hardware unboxed dedicates 1.2% of the reviews to showing RT and DLSS.

Caporegime
You had your chance to provide the evidence for me to go over and you failed to provide it. My option remains unchanged.

Wind yer neck in and stop acting a plum, you can go to their youtube page and see the videos. Your "option" really doesn't mean diddly **** if you're clueless about what really went on, and you are. All you're doing is spouting uninformed bull based on almost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom