Garage dehumidification

Soldato
Insulation is easy to put up......1” x 1” buttons on the walls, 25mm insulation boards in between and then either plaster board or osb board over the top.

This is what my Dad has done to his garage, it's made a huge difference. He has a dehumidifier that runs a few hours overnight and it stays really nice in there as he has a couple of classic cars in there so it's ideal.

Soldato
I think as has already realised by the OP, the key to preventing condensation is letting the building breath. You don't seal the building up so much that the only way of getting rid of damp air is to use a dehumidifier - let the building breath, helping to get rid of the damp air.

Soldato
I think as has already realised by the OP, the key to preventing condensation is letting the building breath. You don't seal the building up so much that the only way of getting rid of damp air is to use a dehumidifier - let the building breath, helping to get rid of the damp air.
Ventilation lets it breathe, letting water soak through the walls certainly won’t be helping the situation, no matter how much you let it breathe

Soldato
So basically:
No it helps in the summer when the heating isn’t on and allows for airflow.....you could get a closable vent, so close it up in winter and open it up in summer......

Man of Honour
Can you get a dehumidifier with a pipe that runs outside. I have this from my gym and have insulted the pipe. Keeps the humidity below 50% and rarely comes on either.

Soldato
Garage dehumidification

While I can applaud your efforts to make amends. In this day and age I really don't think that you should've been humiliating your garage in the first place.
It's worse than flat shaming.

Soldato
How have we gone from sorting out some condensation in a garage to making it a full blown heated room?

It’s a build up of moisture over time which has become trapped due to inadequate ventilation. Condensation is just an imbalance between moisture and ventilation. It’s normal for a bit of moisture to get in as long as it can get out again.

Associate
As others have said, insulate and seal the garage as best you can.

Then, I'd probably just put a vent + fan (like a bathroom extractor fan) somewhere unobtrusive to blow air from the house into the garage. Positive air pressure will then push any stale air out through whatever gaps you've missed when sealing. That way you're warming and dehumidifying (assuming your house isn't itself humid) the garage a little, and simultaneously ventilating both the house and garage

The one main flaw here is if your house is excessively humid... but you should be resolving that problem anyway

The second, smaller, possible flaw is that you're sapping heat from your house - but since you're wanting to heat/dehumidify the garage anyway, the tiny extra heating cost (using a cheap gas central heating system) is still probably cheaper than running an dehumidifier.

Condensation is just an imbalance between moisture and ventilation. It’s normal for a bit of moisture to get in as long as it can get out again.

I'd disagree with that - condensation is more about insulation/temperature differential and rate of cooling than anything.

If your garage warms up in the day, then rapidly cools down, you're going to get condensation. That happens even in a perfectly ventilated area - it even happens outside, that's why your car and lawn get moisture/dew/ice on them at night

Ventilation can help (expell that warm air before it has a chance to condense on cold surfaces), but it isn't a magic bullet if your room is insufficiently insulated.

Back
Top Bottom