Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
It's obviously not been a particularly good year for people entering races, but after several years of barely running at all, it's been a great year for me getting back into running.

I've not even tried to set any decent times all year, but I am on target to complete 2020km in 2020 (completely arbitrary goal). Really enjoying just being back running and able to head out for the occasional 3hr+ run in the hills when time allows.

How's everyone else's year been?

Good work, my initial target was 1000 miles as i think last year was around 720. So this was a sizeable step up. I'm currently on 1085 with 3 weeks left, so likely hit around 1200. I did join the Strava challenge for 2020km in 2020, but had 2 months where i only did around 60 miles which hit me on that front. July saw me hit 160 miles though which absolutely smashed any previous bests and i've regularly been over 100. Prior to this year i peaked around 70 so it's been a big step up.

I also signed up for my first Ultra which was due in October which was cancelled. So it's a shame that never happened, but i've made an effort to try and get out running on trails where i can and explore a few new places, makes such a difference to just running on the same road loops all the time.

Also finally got my 5k under 25 mins and my 10 just under 52 mins which i'm happy with. I'm still not a fast runner by any means but my "easy" pace has come down from 10 mins to 9:10 or so, which feels good.

Associate
It's obviously not been a particularly good year for people entering races, but after several years of barely running at all, it's been a great year for me getting back into running.

I've not even tried to set any decent times all year, but I am on target to complete 2020km in 2020 (completely arbitrary goal). Really enjoying just being back running and able to head out for the occasional 3hr+ run in the hills when time allows.

How's everyone else's year been?

It was looking ok, until I did my foot in :mad: Not they have ok'd running, I can start again. Didnt realise quite how grumpy I get when I don't get to go and vent some steam... ;)

Soldato
It was looking ok, until I did my foot in :mad: Not they have ok'd running, I can start again. Didnt realise quite how grumpy I get when I don't get to go and vent some steam... ;)

I've found that, especially with running more this year, i went out last Thursday and then due to having quite a bit to do over the weekend i didn't run till Monday. It felt like ages inbetween runs and made me a little irritable.

Soldato
Good work, my initial target was 1000 miles as i think last year was around 720. So this was a sizeable step up. I'm currently on 1085 with 3 weeks left, so likely hit around 1200. I did join the Strava challenge for 2020km in 2020, but had 2 months where i only did around 60 miles which hit me on that front. July saw me hit 160 miles though which absolutely smashed any previous bests and i've regularly been over 100. Prior to this year i peaked around 70 so it's been a big step up.

I also signed up for my first Ultra which was due in October which was cancelled. So it's a shame that never happened, but i've made an effort to try and get out running on trails where i can and explore a few new places, makes such a difference to just running on the same road loops all the time.

Also finally got my 5k under 25 mins and my 10 just under 52 mins which i'm happy with. I'm still not a fast runner by any means but my "easy" pace has come down from 10 mins to 9:10 or so, which feels good.

Congrats. That's some big gains in total distance on last year. Good work on the 5k and 10k times too. Shame about the ultra but hopefully things are looking up for next year.

Soldato

Haha, I've noticed myself crabby if I've missed an opportunity to run. Hope the return from injury goes well.

Associate
I hope so too. Ever so slight jealousy on my part watching you guys all improving your running, whilst I have been sitting around improving my scoffing skills! Sub 25min 5k and Sub 1Hr 10k seem a million miles away at the moment.

Keep seeing everyones runs on Strava and I have to say I am impressed :)

Soldato
Congrats. That's some big gains in total distance on last year. Good work on the 5k and 10k times too. Shame about the ultra but hopefully things are looking up for next year.

Cheers, i'm pretty happy with the way it's gone. April saw me only do 50 miles and i don't remember why i'd have done so little that month!

I do have an ultra booked for February which i'm still hopeful of it going ahead. I think @D.P. mentioned, but there's a hope that some of the smaller events will go ahead next year, so just have to keep an eye out on those. Especially on trails as it requires less congestion and restrictions on traffic etc.

The more i've ran, the more i'd like to get to 100 mile distance. I love the idea of it, but i'm not sure i'm either physically or mentally capable. I think this 45 mile one will give me a good idea of whether i can mentally do it.

Soldato
Yeah, i still kind of have that attitude which i accept makes no sense. I think it's the challenge and sense of achievement. It helps too that i've since been trying to run off road more and more. On the road i get bored around the 2 hour mark, but i can happily be out for 3 hours in the hills and despite being more tired, feeling like i could carry on. I take headphones with me, but never end up wearing them as it's just so enjoyable.

That's probably part of the appeal of the longer runs. Just seeing new scenery all the time.

I'm at a point where i feel like i could do with losing more weight. I went from 105kg down to 95kg in around 3 months at the start of the year, but i've then stayed around the 95kg point all year. I think i look alright. Not slim, but being tall i look just on the fat side of normal if that makes sense. Ideally i think it'd be great to get down to around 85kg which would be a big benefit for running, especially on hilly runs. However i'm also conscious that i might end up looking like a lanky beanpole and would be stupid! Maybe that's just because i've been overweight most of my life and so am used to looking bigger. I think in the new year i'll make a real effort to lose weight again and try and get down to sub 90kg and see how i look/feel.

Soldato
Sweet, so for the run above to get my dads car, i think i've recruited a mate to join me for the last 4 miles. I go past his house at around the 18 mile mark, so asked if he wanted to join me for the extra 2 miles to my sisters and then back again.

Should help distract me on a boring road section and be nice to catch up with him.

Associate
I know what you mean. Last time I was down around 12 Stone (18 + years ago!) People were asking if I was ill. I know the various charts tell you where you should be, but at the end of the day, if your skeleton is a certain size, then the rest has to kind of fill it up so you don't look like you have just come out of a long term kidnap scenario or something ;)

Soldato
Soldato
Have also signed up for a virtual half which is based on a hill local to where i grew up (Holcombe Hill), it's where the Krypton Factor was filmed, i ran nearby on Saturday and it's also a shooting range for the military with loads of warning signs up.

Spoke to a mate who runs to see if he fancied it as wasn't sure if he did much trail stuff. I need to prepare him that i'm slow. Although i do wind him up as my marathon time is faster than his (he got injured and came in around 5.5hrs), although at the same point his half time is something like 1:25 which is about 25% faster than me!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
@Dup

Not sure how focussed you are on the longer stuff at the minute, but i've just signed up for this, a guided run of Rossendale Way.

https://www.thesunnywoodproject.co.uk/bookings-checkout/run-rossendale-way-in-a-day

It's not a race, just a group run, but at only £12 i thought it worth signing up for, always nice to be out on the moors and not have to worry about where you're going :p

I'm not even focussed on running at all at the moment. Completely lost my mojo after a failed Yorkshire Three Peaks due to the weather (Never given up a run before). Without events, changing jobs and working from home I've barely moved lately. Bit irritated about it but I'll get back on track soon when I have better work routine and obligation season is out the way! Still got Lakeland to train for next year if it goes ahead too!

That said, that guided run sounds great, no pressure and some support. When is it? I can't seem to fathom that out onm the site. Thanks for the link and tag, given me some motivation.

Soldato
3rd April I think starting at 6:30am. They suggest they aim to finish in 12 hours which is a pretty relaxed pace as I’d otherwise be expecting around 10hours and I know I’m pretty slow.

I think there’s more details of you go to the “book online” section. I agree it’s a bit of a mess of a website but they do some regular weekly guides runs for only £3 a go and also a 3hr navigation course for £15 which I’m pretty tempted by. I’m useless with a map and whilst I generally use GPX maps on my watch it’d be nice to have some backup.

Glad to hear you found a job. Think last I saw you’d mentioned you’d just been made redundant.

Back
Top Bottom