• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080ti

Soldato
I imagine plenty are waiting for the 3080Ti, however demand will be enormous I expect. That said given it will use the 3090 chip anyways, and we can see said 3090 being readily available, I do not expect the stock situation to be awful, but demand will make it seem so. Whole cycle has worked well for Nvidia to be honest, those who could not wait for the 3080Ti paid for the 3090. Same cores once they slow down selling in 3090 go into a 3080Ti rather then the cheaper 3080 which will make less margins for Nvidia. You can bet plenty at that point given backlogs of 3080 will jump ship to wait for a 3080Ti.

You'll be waiting alright. Just like we are waiting for our 3080's... I can't see the 3090ti being anything other than a paper launch. On a more serious note, I heard somewhere the 3090 we have now is pushing the silicon as hard as its likely to go so for a 3090ti to be a thing, TSMC is the way to go and they are clogged up to in production of AMD / Sony & Microsoft chips as far as I understand.

Indeed. The 3090 is already a near fully complete GA102 core. It has 10496 vs max of 10752. so a 2% difference. We have seen how the performance scales between 3080 and 3090 with a 21% core delta, so a 2% core delta will do nothing. More so given the 3090 is already at the limit with the TMU and ROP count.

Associate
I reckon a bunch of 3070, 3080, and even some 3090 owners will try and purchase a 3080 Ti when it's released, pushing more of those cards into the second hand market when they haven't even been used for more than 3-4 months. I can't help but feel mildly annoyed by that.

Associate
I reckon a bunch of 3070, 3080, and even some 3090 owners will try and purchase a 3080 Ti when it's released, pushing more of those cards into the second hand market when they haven't even been used for more than 3-4 months. I can't help but feel mildly annoyed by that.
Yes I suspect when stocks are more normal we'll see people who settled for something less than they wanted, trading up, and people whose credit cards are telling them they were a twit, trading down.

Associate
Unless you actually managed to get one close to MSRP on the preorders. Think I paid 750 or something for my MSI trio. Not buying into the whole spend £1000+ for a £700 card to have it now personally. Could have, but not a fan of ******* my money up walls. I have a perfectly adaquate GPU at the moment. Mine should be here very soon.
Don't think a £1,400+ GPU is ever going to be seen as a "decent" buy in my head when the card below it is barely behind it in performance for basically half the price. That's if you manage to nab an FE, the AiB cards are £1,600+

So yeah I could well upgrade the rest of my PC for the price difference if I desired.

I kind of agree with you if you're one of the few people that already have your 3080, however the majority of people lost out in that battle so to them the price difference at the moment isn't a true reflection of your PC upgrade example. If you want to buy a 3080 now (and probably for the next few months) you're gonna need close to £1k and probably only from a scalper, whereas the 3090s can be regularly found at MSRP at retail or just under if you buy from a scalping idiot that has realised his 'investment' is losing potential every day that passes because the cards are regularly available at retail.

If the 3080ti is released, I can't see how it will fall anywhere else than between the 3080 and 3090 so realistically A £1K card with an inflated price of £1200-£1300.....meaning the 3090 becomes a more reasonable buy and still more readily available than a 3080 or 3080ti.

Associate
I kind of agree with you if you're one of the few people that already have your 3080, however the majority of people lost out in that battle so to them the price difference at the moment isn't a true reflection of your PC upgrade example. If you want to buy a 3080 now (and probably for the next few months) you're gonna need close to £1k and probably only from a scalper, whereas the 3090s can be regularly found at MSRP at retail or just under if you buy from a scalping idiot that has realised his 'investment' is losing potential every day that passes because the cards are regularly available at retail.

If the 3080ti is released, I can't see how it will fall anywhere else than between the 3080 and 3090 so realistically A £1K card with an inflated price of £1200-£1300.....meaning the 3090 becomes a more reasonable buy and still more readily available than a 3080 or 3080ti.

True, I do get what you mean. If the supply issues don't let up for the foreseeable then yeah you're probably right about the 3090. If the Ti is gonna be close to that price in reality I could see why people would just spend the extra to have the 3090 due to availability if they weren't in my position.
The 3090's do seem to be sitting on the shelves for a while before people pull the trigger. Totally understandable as it is a big price jump. Maybe when specs are announced for the 3080 Ti though people will just say sod it and supply for the 3090 will even increase because of it. Providing the 3080s are so non existent still as they are now.

Who knows though, it does seem stupid for them to keep launching new cards that they cannot supply even a fraction of the demand. They have sent out such a small amount of cards in the last 3 months post launch.... Let's face it, when that 3080 Ti launches I can see this whole shambles starting all over again with the amount of people that missed out.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not even entirely convinced the Ti is needed, or certainly not at least as soon as some seem to expect. Most people seemed to be calling for it because a) RAM anxiety b) assuming the 6900XT was going to be some absolute 3090 slayer. The 3080 (if you can get one and at a sensible price) now actually looks a better card than it did a few weeks ago before AMD had shown their full hand. I guess you'll get a few takers if one drops for about a grand or just under but anything above that leaves it in a strange place.

Associate
I just don't see this coming out in January. I also don't see it having 20Gb of Ram. Nvidia will simply fill the missing RAM slots with 2GB and it will be a 12GB card.
A 3080ti with the same amount of Cuda cores as the 3090 and 20GB of ram will kill 3090 sales.

Associate
I would like one but I'm not going to bother - too much hassle with the poor stock for everything. 3060ti and PS5 will do me until the 4080.

Soldato
By the time this arrives the 40 series will probably be around the corner.

I've been looking at 3080s for ages now as a 1080 replacement but it always dawns on me that my 1080 has played everything I've tried so far at 1440p in a perfectly enjoyable manner.

Maybe when games start to appear that actually look amazing then lll make the jump.

Cyberpunk looks pretty but im not really feeling much excitement about it.

Permabanned
OP
I just don't see this coming out in January. I also don't see it having 20Gb of Ram. Nvidia will simply fill the missing RAM slots with 2GB and it will be a 12GB card.
A 3080ti with the same amount of Cuda cores as the 3090 and 20GB of ram will kill 3090 sales.

Yeah I have to say that I can't see the logic in releasing it in Jan. But then who knows the mind of NVIDIA?

Associate
There's no need for a 3080TI so I can't see one happening. The 3080 is overall better than the 6800XT at 4K and the 6900XT is a bit of a damp squib as it's not enough of an improvement on either the 6800XT or 3080.
AMDs craptastic RT performance means most people if they had to choose would go for the 3080 assuming they can find one at MSRP. I think this round of enthusiast GPU releases is over for now.

Associate
I dont care whether its a, XT, TI, RTX, or RX. I just want something in stock and available so i can buy it. Any of the new breed are head & shoulders better than my current 980TI.

Take my Money, Nvidia or AMD - Please

Associate
Paper launch at the end of Feb with availability in May. A bad idea to wait as the Super refresh and Hopper are less than a year away.
Based on this new launch date, those who paid for the 3090 got their money’s worth.

Back
Top Bottom