New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
same here, there is supposed to be a firmware update to allow full 240hz at 10bit
I personally don't see this happening. With GSync modules the input processing is handled by the GSync hence why v1 GSync monitors were stuck with DP 1.2 and hdmi 1.4. It's my understanding that for this monitor to get DSC nvidia would have to provide an update to the modules firmware not dell.

Associate
The required 32KG capacity wall mount is also silly considring the panel weighs less than 8kg. I've used the same wall mount as I used for the Dell 3008 which weighs about twice as much.

I have emailed them back asking why others are not suitable, will see what they say!

Do you know the 38" has customisable shortcut buttons on the back ? I have one set to Displayport 1 and the other set to HDMI 1. Dead easy to switch between the two now.

I know about the standard buttons, are these also customisable ones or are there others I haven’t found? Will look more when I get home.

Associate
I personally don't see this happening. With GSync modules the input processing is handled by the GSync hence why v1 GSync monitors were stuck with DP 1.2 and hdmi 1.4. It's my understanding that for this monitor to get DSC nvidia would have to provide an update to the modules firmware not dell.

time will tell, but it was confirmed that one was coming

Associate
I quite like my AW3821DW, only 2 things annoy me...

1. Switching inputs doesn’t seem to be as easy as it could be.
  2. The fact Dell don’t sell a monitor arm compatible with it! That is just ridiculous and annoying! (And claim it isn’t compatible with any monitor stand/arm!)
Keeping the brightness at 25... anything higher burns out my eyes!
The required 32KG capacity wall mount is also silly considring the panel weighs less than 8kg. I've used the same wall mount as I used for the Dell 3008 which weighs about twice as much.

Arguably no monitor arm will ever be compatible given the lighting options. But it's VESA 100 compatible and weights less than 9kg with cables therefore any stand that can support those specs will work, get what you mean tho with the 31.6kg minimum specs warning in the manual. I'm running mine attached to an Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm and it's holding it up just fine.

They do state the following on page 21:

Weight without stand assembly (For wall mount or VESA mount considerations - no cables) - 7.9 kg (17.49 lb)

Bit contradictory to have a warning requiring 30+kg although maybe that's a US problem in that if they have a warning and it falls off the wall they can't be held liable.

Associate
time will tell, but it was confirmed that one was coming
It was 'confirmed' by a sales rep to be coming on the 27th November. This never materialised and in fact a L3 engineer has allegedly said that DSC support isn't necessary as the monitor automatically activates 8 bit+dithering when running in HDR mode.

I would bet a lot on there never being a firmware update. Dell are notoriously terrible with firmware updates. I believe their last one required people to send monitors back to dell to be updated.

Associate
This 100%. I really wanted to like this one. The white fits my setup real nice and 240hz 1440p takes it a step above 144hz. I have minimal ips glow too. Unfortunately the bright pixel was a shame and the delay in a replacement has allowed me time with the monitor and I just can't get over that backlight bleed. Mine may be an extreme in that area but I'm not willing to (and don't think I should have to) play the panel lottery with a £700 display. Back to waiting I go and hope 2021 brings something that fits my needs.

For what it's worth mine doesn't allow this. You can set 144hz 10bit and change to 200hz but it then reverts to 8 bit.

Out of interest, what monitor are you coming from and are you going to just go back to that and wait?

Associate
Out of interest, what monitor are you coming from and are you going to just go back to that and wait?
I came from a dell S2719DGF. Had its own shortcomings obviously as a TN panel. As such lack of 10 bit at 240hz isn't a deal breaker for me on the alienware though it is a shame that cheaper monitors have this. IPS glow didn't bother me either, bias lighting helps with that, but the backlight bleed however is killer for me. I also got headaches when using the alienware, heard some people experience this with Nano IPS due to the way the backlight is designed?

Unfortunately for me I sold my S27 to a friend when my AW2721D arrived so will be using a 1080p 60hz tn for the time being. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Would love to try out a VA but I've avoided them due to black smearing thus far, the G7 fixes this but that's got its own list of issues. It's a shame the gaming monitor space is one where defects are considered the norm and there has been very little progress in the last 5 years or so.

Associate
Just a little update on my 38 incher :eek::D.
ive moved the desk slightly away from the wall and got a good viewing distance now, but i really think an 800mm deep desk is minimum for this size monitor. even having the 800mm i still had to move the desk a bit and put the back of the stand off the desk, its so stable that its really not an issue.
Up until Sunday i had just turned the brightness down to 19 and left it at that, but though i would properly calibrate it. I've got the 1i pro from xrite.
well after running it 3 times to make sure it was correct, the 1i pro agrees with my eyes- the only adjustments needed was brightness on 24. everything else was spot on out the box. i have never had a screen calibrated so close from the manufacturers.
haven't found any pixel issues and from what i can see no backlight bleed at all.
so if you get a good one its incredible-very happy so far:D:D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It looks like mine was shipped yesterday, how long did it take for it to arrive for you chaps?

I assume it from TILBURG.

Associate
I came from a dell S2719DGF. Had its own shortcomings obviously as a TN panel. As such lack of 10 bit at 240hz isn't a deal breaker for me on the alienware though it is a shame that cheaper monitors have this. IPS glow didn't bother me either, bias lighting helps with that, but the backlight bleed however is killer for me. I also got headaches when using the alienware, heard some people experience this with Nano IPS due to the way the backlight is designed?

Unfortunately for me I sold my S27 to a friend when my AW2721D arrived so will be using a 1080p 60hz tn for the time being. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Would love to try out a VA but I've avoided them due to black smearing thus far, the G7 fixes this but that's got its own list of issues. It's a shame the gaming monitor space is one where defects are considered the norm and there has been very little progress in the last 5 years or so.

Thanks for the reply. It's really useful to know what people are comparing things with, since it can be very subjective in terms of what a given person deems to be acceptable.
For example, I've come from a 7 year old 1080p 120Hz TN panel to a Samsung G9. I've deliberated for months between a TV, 48" OLED, VA, IPS, ultrawide, 38" etc. etc. Bear in mind, that I already have an OLED TV and I'm into projectors (and IT in general) so I have a lot of reference points.

For the money, I expect a lot and the screen does deliver that, but everyone wants perfection and that just doesn't exist. The question is accepting if your expectations are realistic, then balancing that against the panel lottery, given that money is a yardstick and the more the spend, the more you expect.
I don't expect perfection, the dilemma to me is more around if a panel is 'normal' or not and whether it has any real life impact outside of specific test cases. I.E., is it a significant upgrade and am I just nitpicking? It's not like a screen becomes worthless overnight, so it's worth considering the benefit from keeping it then upgrading again in the future.

Associate
For the money, I expect a lot and the screen does deliver that, but everyone wants perfection and that just doesn't exist. The question is accepting if your expectations are realistic, then balancing that against the panel lottery, given that money is a yardstick and the more the spend, the more you expect.
I don't expect perfection, the dilemma to me is more around if a panel is 'normal' or not and whether it has any real life impact outside of specific test cases. I.E., is it a significant upgrade and am I just nitpicking? It's not like a screen becomes worthless overnight, so it's worth considering the benefit from keeping it then upgrading again in the future.

All fair points. I spent a lot of time researching around before making this purchase. The money side of it is an aspect for sure given how this is a £700 retail price display with the only advantage over current options being it's 240hz refresh rate. Unfortunately with that premium the alienware range also lacks a lot of other 'basic features' available on other displays such as an sRGB colour clamp and game settings. This seems to be true across all of their AW and S series monitors. Then there are the more premium features missing such as firmware upgrades (possible technically but the only time I've heard of one being issued required people to send their displays in), DSC and even the capability of 4k input downscaling. I fully expect LGs own monitor based on this panel to feature all of these features for less price also.

These however were all things I was willing to trade off for the Dell premium panel warranty, build quality and the (vastly less important but I like consistency) white colour scheme that fits my setup perfectly. However all but the colour failed me here. I had a bright pixel and bleed that is noticeable and distracting at a viewing distance of just on scenes that even resembled a dim room in games. The warranty and exchange experience was disastrous. I mentioned the bleed and was sent the following image as 'acceptable'.
GrD900u

My replacement was on the basis of a bright pixel. I appreciate it's christmas and covid but I had my replacement verified and confirmed to me on Thursday the 3rd December. I waited until Thursday 10th to politely request an update only to receive no reply. Knowing now what dell consider 'acceptable' for bleed and my return window ending tomorrow I came to realise that my replacement would not arrive before that time and if it had the same amount of bleed, but no other issues, I would be stuck with it. That's not something I am willing to risk that much money on. Ultimately dell's support and communication (or lack of) has cost them my money and probably future business.

For now I can get a similar experience (1440p 144hz IPS) with a monitor that costs almost half the price and gladly upgrade sooner as a result. The gaming monitor industry is a mess and has come to accept manufacturing defects as the norm. Part of this is due to LCD being an arguably flawed tech. The main one of uniformity can be masked with substantial lighting zones but we are only now getting affordable displays with the bare minimum of variable backlighting.

Last edited:
Associate
The gaming monitor industry is a mess and has come to accept manufacturing defects as the norm. Part of this is due to LCD being an arguably flawed tech. The main one of uniformity can be masked with substantial lighting zones but we are only now getting affordable displays with the bare minimum of variable backlighting.

This particular part is probably where we disagree. There are already gaming screens with FALD and they are 1k more expensive (ish).
All displays are flawed, including oled, lcd, DLP, plasma.
I understand QC is frustrating, but my point is that for any given display, for every perfectionist there are probably many people that are happy.
Not defending lg, or dell, or Samsung or the industry in general, but everything costs money and if they set the bar too high then the product will be too expensive and be economically unviable.

Back
Top Bottom