• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Idle Temps for 5800x

Associate
I've just installed my new 5800x, but before i start to have a little play around, im a bit concerned whether my temps are a little high and whether I applied the paste ok.

I know the temps will be a bit higher than the 3200G that was previously in there.

In the BIOS the motherboard temp is showing as 40 degrees C and the CPU temp is 34 degrees C. In HW Monitor the

My cooler is an Arctic Freezer 240 AIO.

Do these temps seem normal...although appreciate that everyone has different setups so normal is very subjective.

Cheers

Associate
My idle temps for my 5800x with a Noctura NH d15 38-44 degrees c, the motherboard is about 38-40 degrees C. and My PC has been on for about 6/7 hours, I've even had an hour on RDR2. My max CPU temp today was 79 deg C and motherboard was 46 C.

All seems normal, I've got 3 intake fans at 60% all the time too. ZEN3 gets hot lol.

Associate
I have also just replaced my Ryzen 7 2700 with a 5800x and noticed how much warmer the 5800x is. Idle is between 35 and 43deg. Running Cinebench up to 85deg. Cooled with a Fractal Design 240 AIO set on auto. Room temp 20deg

One other thing I have notices which I believe is common, the GPU now ramp up on boot but settle in 10 seconds which they never used to with the 2700 and same bios version

Last edited:
Soldato
My idle temps for my 5800x with a Noctura NH d15 38-44 degrees c, the motherboard is about 38-40 degrees C. and My PC has been on for about 6/7 hours, I've even had an hour on RDR2. My max CPU temp today was 79 deg C and motherboard was 46 C.

All seems normal, I've got 3 intake fans at 60% all the time too. ZEN3 gets hot lol.
This doesnt sound right to me.
Have you pasted correctly? Large grain of rice in the middle, grain of rice on each outer corner (this is Noctua recommendation for am4 chips)
What is your room temp?

I have no intake fans and lower temps

Associate
This doesnt sound right to me.
Have you pasted correctly? Large grain of rice in the middle, grain of rice on each outer corner (this is Noctua recommendation for am4 chips)
What is your room temp?

I have no intake fans and lower temps

Funny enough I spent the early hours of this morning on Reddit reading a post from last week and the 5800x and temps. A few of them had the same NH d15 cooler too,

I did follow the instructions as per my nt h2 thermal paste, which was as you described in the paste box instructions, 1 2 mm middle and 4 1mm on the corners.

Room temp is probably 18 or so degrees C depending how cold this Mrs is lol.

I'll get some more readings today. I played some GTA and RDR2 to test the CPU also early hours and CPU was reaching 80C almost. And chipset 66-69C. Motherboard temps were the highest I've seen, probably 55C. I'll be honest even my 3080 got to 70C. Everything stock PBO and XMP.

Thank you for your help.

Associate

That's fairly similar temperatures to my 5800X, I'm also using a Noctua NH-D15 and have a Fractal Design Define 7 Compact case. Mine tends to idle between 30-35 ish. I used the 5 dot method when applying the paste as Noctua recommend for AM4.

Associate
I just installed my 5800x today and with PBO on and BIOS settings default I was getting idle temps of 52 - 56c and Cinebench temps of 90c. I noticed that the voltage was going over 1.4v which is just stupidly high for this CPU.

Anyway, I turned off PBO as it really just isn't any good and I set a manual cpu voltage of 1.250 which is around the recommended setting for this cpu for decent performance. I now get idle temps of 43c and max Cinebench temp of 80 - 82c which is perfectly fine. Games run at between 60 - 70c. My all core speed even reaches a tad off 4.8ghz using this voltage so I guess I got some good silicon or something. Cinebench score is 14004 too.

I did try turning PBO off but the motherboard (x570 msi tomahawk) still does some ****** auto oc ****.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
I don't think that the 1.4V+ is a problem as it is not continuous :) As for for temps mine is also in the low 40s idle and hits 80C in a cinebench R20 run using a Noctua NH-D15. I used a single blob in the middle as that is all it showed to do in the installation guide that came with cooler though a look on their YT channel suggests it's a single blob for the NT-H1 paste and the 5 blobs for the NT-H2 paste - not sure which came with mine :p

Edit: Found the tube - H1 :p

Soldato
These things do run toasty.

I was (as I thought) idling in Windows, CPU running about 50c, I am like wtf as it has been idling at about 35c over the last few days. I note also NZXT CAM (360mm rad pump software) did an update, I am thinking now, great, problem with my pump.....

Anyway waiting for Steam to finish installing an update on PUBG, as soon as that finished the temperature dropped back down from 50c to 35c. I mean really? Thats all it took?

I have seen mine get to about 75c max in games so far, I've only had this build a few days and not run any hard benchmarks, but goes to show, even a little load on the CPU and that temp goes up.

......at least my pump isnt broken.

Soldato
I've just installed my new 5800x, but before i start to have a little play around, im a bit concerned whether my temps are a little high and whether I applied the paste ok.

I know the temps will be a bit higher than the 3200G that was previously in there.

In the BIOS the motherboard temp is showing as 40 degrees C and the CPU temp is 34 degrees C. In HW Monitor the

My cooler is an Arctic Freezer 240 AIO.

Do these temps seem normal...although appreciate that everyone has different setups so normal is very subjective.

Cheers
interesting postings these. what do you expect the CPU and mother to be running at?

Back
Top Bottom