*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Another thing I might consider, but TBH not keen on the mounting is mounting the Flex-HD into the ceil, but I prefer the standard dome. Additionally I expect the FlexHD won't have as good a beam coverage.

Need to try and do a floor plan of the house with some software or something. Bit of a pain in the arse, but would be beneficial to have a heat map. Did it years ago when I did a Meraki install at a work place. I was fortunate enough to be able to upload the office floor plans etc.

Associate
I agree, but with the insulation and such, how much of an effect will that have in the loft etc.

Due to house renovation I put three AC-Pros in my loft when I moved in plus one in a single storey extension loft and they've worked really well on both 2.4GHz and surprisingly 5GHz. The loft has two types on insulation so 20cm+ in total. The reason for so many APs is the house has three extensions so each AP is placed to cover one area bounded by double layer brick and block walls.

I mounted them about 90 - 100cm above the ceiling, and the only issue I note is the loft can be 45 to 50 degrees in peak summer weather at that height but three years on an no failures so far. I am now waiting on more WiFi 6 AP choice and will then mount them below the ceiling as we've renovated some areas.

Soldato
Due to house renovation I put three AC-Pros in my loft when I moved in plus one in a single storey extension loft and they've worked really well on both 2.4GHz and surprisingly 5GHz. The loft has two types on insulation so 20cm+ in total. The reason for so many APs is the house has three extensions so each AP is placed to cover one area bounded by double layer brick and block walls.

I mounted them about 90 - 100cm above the ceiling, and the only issue I note is the loft can be 45 to 50 degrees in peak summer weather at that height but three years on an no failures so far. I am now waiting on more WiFi 6 AP choice and will then mount them below the ceiling as we've renovated some areas.

3 can be fine in close proximity on 2.4GHz as long as on 1-6-11 as these are the none overlapping channels. 5GHz you shouldn't have any channel overlap

Soldato

Planning on testing an AP in the loft tonight, will do the same as what I did last night, run a long network cable down to a switch and test etc. I'm only doing one AP at a time TBH. In the initial setup piece I'll probably leverage my existing APs, before deciding on replacing. Pro, Lite in the loft and FlexHD on a desk downstairs. For testing FlexHD will be disabled as the key is getting coverage without odds and sods.

I think in my small 4 bed detached house, one AP is sufficient. The other reason for testing in the loft, it'll be easier to add there then running cables to a new ceiling point etc.

Planning on a 9 or 12U wall mounted comms rack into the loft with patch panel, rack mount UPS and the various kit going in.

Still mulling one of these in wall AP units, but think they'll be a waste. The garden coverage could be an "issue", but then do I really care as I have full 4G in the garden...

Associate
Currently installing Unifi equipment in our new house and having issues I'm hoping you experts can assist with. I have a UDM downstairs connected to our lounge wall port, a FlexHD on the first floor (bedroom 3), and a FlexHD on the second floor (master bedroom). I haven't tried setting up the master bedroom yet, however, when trying to set up the FlexHD on the first floor connected to the wall port, I was having issues connecting to the AP during set up.

I brought the AP downstairs and connected directly to the UDM and it worked fine, updated and configured. Since taking the AP back upstairs and reconnecting it to the wall port in the room it is showing as "disconnected" on the app despite the blue light on top.

For reference i am with OFNL so the fibre comes into the house via the front door into our media cupboard where the ONT connects to our router which then has three ethernet outs to the three wallports (Lounge, Bed 3, Master Bed) the UDM is connected to the Lounge wall port.
Help?!

Soldato
Don't read too much into the blue light, that just means it's been adopted, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can communicate with the UDM.

Does the switch port on the UDM show a link when the AP is upstairs? Can you ping it? If you bring the AP back downstairs and connect it to the UDM does it show as connected? Have you tried a new patch cable between the wall port in the bedroom and the AP? Where is the PoE injector? Try different patch cables on both sides of the injector.

My first thought is that it's a cabling problem between the sockets in the media cupboard and the bedroom.

Soldato
Currently installing Unifi equipment in our new house and having issues I'm hoping you experts can assist with. I have a UDM downstairs connected to our lounge wall port, a FlexHD on the first floor (bedroom 3), and a FlexHD on the second floor (master bedroom). I haven't tried setting up the master bedroom yet, however, when trying to set up the FlexHD on the first floor connected to the wall port, I was having issues connecting to the AP during set up.

I brought the AP downstairs and connected directly to the UDM and it worked fine, updated and configured. Since taking the AP back upstairs and reconnecting it to the wall port in the room it is showing as "disconnected" on the app despite the blue light on top.

For reference i am with OFNL so the fibre comes into the house via the front door into our media cupboard where the ONT connects to our router which then has three ethernet outs to the three wallports (Lounge, Bed 3, Master Bed) the UDM is connected to the Lounge wall port.
Help?!

You have two routers on the network. What’s the second router for? Anything plugged into that will not be on the same network as the UDM in a normal setup and anything plugged into the UDM will have double NAT.

Normally you would plug the ont into the UDM and then everything else plugs into the UDM.

Soldato
You have two routers on the network. What’s the second router for? Anything plugged into that will not be on the same network as the UDM in a normal setup and anything plugged into the UDM will have double NAT.

Normally you would plug the ont into the UDM and then everything else plugs into the UDM.

Good point, I missed the mention of 'our router'.

OP - Remove the current router and move the UDM into the media cupboard. Connect a patch cable from the ONT to the WAN port of the UDM. Then connect patch cables from the LAN ports of the UDM to the wallports and your FlexHD should connect.

Associate

Good point, I missed the mention of 'our router'.

OP - Remove the current router and move the UDM into the media cupboard. Connect a patch cable from the ONT to the WAN port of the UDM. Then connect patch cables from the LAN ports of the UDM to the wallports and your FlexHD should connect.

Is there another way? We wanted the UDM in the lounge for better wireless rather than being closed in our media cupboard by our front door, plus the ports on the UDM feed the TV/PS5 etc? If not we can reluctantly do it, and it means I also wasted £80 on a router for the media cupboard :facepalm:

Soldato
Is there another way? We wanted the UDM in the lounge for better wireless rather than being closed in our media cupboard by our front door, plus the ports on the UDM feed the TV/PS5 etc? If not we can reluctantly do it, and it means I also wasted £80 on a router for the media cupboard :facepalm:

There's a few ways it could be made to work but none of them are desirable. You'd be better of binning off that other router and using the UDM.

For your setup the UDM is the wrong product. You would have been better off with a switch and AP in the lounge if it transpires that having the UDM in the cupboard knackers the wireless signal.

Move the UDM into the cupboad and connect a cable from the LAN side to the wallplate that runs to the lounge. Get a small switch and connect it to the wallplate in the lounge. Connect the TV & PS5 to that switch. If the wireless downstairs suffers as a result of moving the UDM then you could put another AP onto this switch.

Edit - Another way to do it would be to move the cable from the WAN port of the UDM to a LAN port. Disable DHCP on the UDM and then the UDM isn't doing any routing, that's all done by the other router. You're then using the UDM as just a switch, AP & UniFi controller. You still physically have 2 routers but only 1 is routing. Not ideal, but it'd work.

Last edited:
Soldato
There two ways you can do it:

1) you would need 2 cables going to the lounge, one to go from the ONT to the UDM and one to go from the UDM back to the media cupboard which plugs into a switch for and the rest of the house.

2) As the above poster said, disable the UDM's routing ability and use use it as an overpriced switch and access point.

If you wanted to go full ubiquiti and #1 wasn't an option then the UDM should be in the media cupboard and if you needed more wireless then putting an extra AP in the lounge would have been the best bet. With an AP in the same room as the PS/TV etc. WiFi would probably be fine and I doubt you would notice the difference cabling it up If you really wanted to cable it up then you would need to add a 4 port switch which aren't expensive. Can you return the other router and get another AP (if you even need it, the WiFi might be fine, especially as you have another AP in the house already)?

The UDM is pretty good value for that it is router, switch, access point and controller. Buying an equivalent access point and controller will cost as much as the UDM.

Associate
There's a few ways it could be made to work but none of them are desirable. You'd be better of binning off that other router and using the UDM.

For your setup the UDM is the wrong product. You would have been better off with a switch and AP in the lounge if it transpires that having the UDM in the cupboard knackers the wireless signal.

Move the UDM into the cupboad and connect a cable from the LAN side to the wallplate that runs to the lounge. Get a small switch and connect it to the wallplate in the lounge. Connect the TV & PS5 to that switch. If the wireless downstairs suffers as a result of moving the UDM then you could put another AP onto this switch.

Edit - Another way to do it would be to move the cable from the WAN port of the UDM to a LAN port. Disable DHCP on the UDM and then the UDM isn't doing any routing, that's all done by the other router. You're then using the UDM as just a switch, AP & UniFi controller. You still physically have 2 routers but only 1 is routing. Not ideal, but it'd work.
There two ways you can do it:

1) you would need 2 cables going to the lounge, one to go from the ONT to the UDM and one to go from the UDM back to the media cupboard which plugs into a switch for and the rest of the house.

2) As the above poster said, disable the UDM's routing ability and use use it as an overpriced switch and access point.

If you wanted to go full ubiquiti and #1 wasn't an option then the UDM should be in the media cupboard and if you needed more wireless then putting an extra AP in the lounge would have been the best bet. With an AP in the same room as the PS/TV etc. WiFi would probably be fine and I doubt you would notice the difference cabling it up If you really wanted to cable it up then you would need to add a 4 port switch which aren't expensive. Can you return the other router and get another AP (if you even need it, the WiFi might be fine, especially as you have another AP in the house already)?

The UDM is pretty good value for that it is router, switch, access point and controller. Buying an equivalent access point and controller will cost as much as the UDM.

I've moved the UDM into the Media cupboard and wifi seems fine which is great. I noticed straight away it found the switch in my office which is good but it wont adopt it, it keeps failing. Any thoughts? I havent tried setting up the other AP yet as this will be connected to the switch so wanted that to work first.

EDIT after retrying multiple times it seems to have resolved itself after I’ve left it for an hour. I am going to try setting up the APs tomorrow, thanks all again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can anyone help with this issue please? Downloading on my HTPC downstairs nearly cripples the rest of the network regardless of speed, even this rig upstairs will struggle to load pages, and it's wired.

Any options/settings to help? I have DPI/IPS turned off on my UDM.

Caporegime
A few minutes ago, a torrent that was downloading at 70/k sec. It sometimes brain farts the connection and kicks me out of my remote desktop software I use from upstairs, only allowing me to return shortly after when it got itself together.

Edit - and also there are times, when I am not downloading, web pages take longer/stall on loading up especially pictures. This has happened on this machine with WiFi and on Ethernet. Using 1.1.1.1 in my DNS settings.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just started down the rabbit hole that is Ubiquiti Networks. After recently running Cat6 throughout the house with the intention of doing away with powerlines (which, to be honest, have worked flawlessly for almost 10 years however we only have a 36Mb fibre connection currently), the next phase in my upgrade was to install switch hardware and an access point. I need an electrician to install power in the loft for the data cab but in the meantime, I purchased two Flex Mini switches and a recently released UAP6-Lite. I already had the controller set up on a Pi that also runs Pi-hole so did most of the config in advance.

I'll eventually get a 16/24 port switch for the loft but I need two small switches for a couple of other locations where I don't have enough cable runs anyway so the Flex minis were still required. The fact that they can be powered by PoE was a big plus. I have two cable runs from my data cab back to my router downstairs and with 2 x PoE injectors at the router end, this meant I could get temporary power into the loft to power a switch and the AP. They powered up and were adopted by the controller almost immediately. Apart from a minor DHCP hiccup with the AP (it was trying to serve DHCP when my old router is actually doing this already), everything went smoothly. The second switch is behind the TV and is basically daisy chained to the first temporarily (therefore not PoE).

For the time being, the AP is in the loft, just above the intended ceiling install location and I'm amazed at the performance. I've always kept all of our devices on 2.4Ghz because the 5Ghz signal from my router was never good enough. 5Ghz now works flawlessly throughout the house (90's build), even into the far corners without issue.

I'm also impressed with the information the controller provides even though my current setup is essentially very basic. I have VLANs provisioned and ready to go once I go full Unifi. Next step is to get power in the loft and install a more permanent switch which will allow better port usage around the house. I then need to change out the router - I would go USG but I think it's days are numbered and I don't have a requirement for a UDM because the access point and switch components would be redundant. I just need a more up to date USG!

Soldato
I've just started down the rabbit hole that is Ubiquiti Networks.

It can get expensive quickly :)

Apart from a minor DHCP hiccup with the AP (it was trying to serve DHCP when my old router is actually doing this already), everything went smoothly.

The AP's don't have a DHCP server in them so I don't know what the problem actually was, but it wasn't that.

I would go USG but I think it's days are numbered and I don't have a requirement for a UDM because the access point and switch components would be redundant. I just need a more up to date USG!

The UXG-Pro is an early access but there's no indication of when it'll go GA. I'm using a USG here on my 900Mbps FTTP connection and it does the job brilliantly. If you could get a USG cheap enough then it might be worth considering. It's days are numbered but if the price is right it'd be worth looking at. I'm not going to rush to replace my USG when the UXG-Pro is GA.

Associate
It can get expensive quickly :)

Agreed.

The AP's don't have a DHCP server in them so I don't know what the problem actually was, but it wasn't that.

It was (although my description may have been incorrect). Even though I don't have a USG, the fact that I had ticked "DHCP Server" in the Controller means it couldn't allocate an IP address (because it couldn't find the USG). As soon as I put it back to 'none', it found the existing DHCP server and all was good.

The UXG-Pro is an early access but there's no indication of when it'll go GA. I'm using a USG here on my 900Mbps FTTP connection and it does the job brilliantly. If you could get a USG cheap enough then it might be worth considering. It's days are numbered but if the price is right it'd be worth looking at. I'm not going to rush to replace my USG when the UXG-Pro is GA.
I think that's a good shout. If I can get a good deal on a USG, it would at least tide me over until something more appropriate is released.

Soldato
It was (although my description may have been incorrect). Even though I don't have a USG, the fact that I had ticked "DHCP Server" in the Controller means it couldn't allocate an IP address (because it couldn't find the USG). As soon as I put it back to 'none', it found the existing DHCP server and all was good.

That's DHCP guarding. When that's enabled the switches block DHCP from non whitelsited DHCP servers. So it wasn't the AP that was runniung as a DHCP server that was the problem.

I think that's a good shout. If I can get a good deal on a USG, it would at least tide me over until something more appropriate is released.

Last time I looked they were still holding their value fairly well and I was finding USG Pro's at a lower price than the USG-3P. Either would work.

Back
Top Bottom