• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Barometer - 2020

Soldato
Hello all,

With the sadness of 2020, what did come to cheer us up was new GPU releases from Red and Green. With this has come the usual fiery debates, but it's felt different for me this time around.

There is obviously a lot of opinion on the forum which is great, but I wanted to quantify it a bit better so came up with a short survey which could be fun!

Quick bit of info
- All entries are anonymous
- All this will be used for a bit of fun
- It'll probably take about 1 minute to answer

Survey
NOW COMPLETED

Results

In total we had 146 respondents - thanks for everyone who filled it in.

Out of 146, 128 participants had tried to buy a GPU in 2020, the following results are based only on those 128 participants.

Nic3VGT.png

I1iN40R.png

Sb2pQ88.png

7YoQsYF.png

65kqoJr.png

Sb2pQ88.png

The majority of users, expect cards in the £600-800 range

T25MkMx.png

bQYlVaD.png

There was a slight shift in sentiment, but nothing major

EAgCH26.png

Last edited:
Associate
I find the "how much is too much" type questions quite difficult to answer.

Consoles are simply not for me, so the question really boils down to "can I justify continuing with this hobby, or should I quit it altogether". Hard to put a monetary value on that.

The cost of enthusiast gpus right now is abhorrent, no doubt about that. But the reality is that if I can afford it I will probably continue to bend over and take it.

Another thing to consider is that long term, it's probably over. PC gaming has always been a niche, so the associated costs are high, and as the costs get higher the niche gets smaller until there is no justification for developers to make PC games anymore. CP2077 is a good example of a game that was clearly designed for high end PC hardware, but PC sales alone would never have broken even on it's development costs, hence its widespread release on all the consoles that ultimately can't run it. I don't know how many more games like that we will see.

AMD/NV/Intel don't care if pc gaming goes the way of the dodo, it's a small portion of their revenue. Partner brands have a lot more to lose, and I'm sure are all very aware of how tenuous their situation is.

Associate
Interesting questionnaire. I think the main one will be how this has affected where people shop. I think the retailer gouging won't be quickly forgotten and served as a necessary wake up call to consumers.

Soldato
OP

Good questionnaire!

Interesting questionnaire. I think the main one will be how this has affected where people shop. I think the retailer gouging won't be quickly forgotten and served as a necessary wake up call to consumers.

Thanks!

I wish I went into more detail, but equally well wanted to keep this quite a "safe" survey. It would be genuinely interesting to map like salary/family income to some of these measurements, my personal view is that actually that probably plays a very small part.

Once I get a decent number I'll start posting back - just working out at the moment how to present it back and what interesting insights there are.

Associate
There was a lot of this during past launches and I’m not sure how much impact it had on people’s buying decisions. With hindsight seeing it the first time round didn’t have a huge impact on me. However, now that I have seen the same places jacking prices way up for a second time (and above what scalpers are asking in some cases) I’ve decided to blacklist at least one shop.

Soldato
OP
There was a lot of this during past launches and I’m not sure how much impact it had on people’s buying decisions. With hindsight seeing it the first time round didn’t have a huge impact on me. However, now that I have seen the same places jacking prices way up for a second time (and above what scalpers are asking in some cases) I’ve decided to blacklist at least one shop.

I've blacklisted so many, that soon I'll have no shops left. There is only 2 remaining and one is very bad news for independents because they sell everything else too.

Done!

Do I get a house point or gold star now ? :D

Just lashings.

Back
Top Bottom