Deterioration in standard of driving

Soldato
To be honest i have wondered this for years. Just how is this person selling me this drink at Westminster bridge Tesco Express affording to be here!

Exactly. They probably live in a family home/with parents, or inherited a place. But those people will thin out over the years.

But Yea, I've had a few people just pull out right in front of me over the past months. But lol DPD driver, the 2nd one to appear in one of these videos this week...

Caporegime
Since the start of covid I've still been driving most of the mileage I did becuase of work where I average about 150 miles a day.

Standards have rapidly declined this year however they were declining at a steady rate anyway.

Most of the time, in my experience it's people just pulling out regardless of what's coming whether they're just pulling away, emerging from a junction or on roundabouts.

However the biggest, most dangerous thing that's happening is red light running, not just foot down Amber gamblers but full on red.
I’ve actually started looking to make sure it is clear at traffic lights these days, too many videos online of amber gamblers when the lights are actually red!

Caporegime
Seen a lot of bad accidents & cars quite literally parked up the side of the road embedded in the mud & grass verge! So yes I would say driving standards have dropped massively :eek: also by how poor some drive on motorways especially you have to seriously wonder how many actually have proper driving licences or did they just buy a photoshopped copy from someone on the internet :rolleyes:

Where I work, it has been quiet with traffic so the local contractors (grass cutters etc) are just flying through junctions. Of course they done it as I was going through the junction. Thankfully wasn't a write off - it was last year with another contractor.

The standard of driving in the UK is beyond a joke really, I can't drive to Tesco without someone 2ft behind me, cutting corners or just being lazy.

Soldato
I notice a lot more 'constants' now. The people who will just travel at 40mph everywhere, they sit 1cm off your rear in the 30 zones and then they are lost in the 60 zones.

Soldato
I notice a lot more 'constants' now. The people who will just travel at 40mph everywhere, they sit 1cm off your rear in the 30 zones and then they are lost in the 60 zones.

And they do it straight through villages with average speed cameras, which are everywhere now especially ones with schools in them. Surely they must be stacking up fines and points. Maybe they are banned and are totally oblivious to that as well.

Associate
I’ve actually started looking to make sure it is clear at traffic lights these days, too many videos online of amber gamblers when the lights are actually red!
Definitely worth looking. How many lessons have you had so far and what do they cost these days?

Soldato
Most people around here were useless before, they're still useless now. Only change I've noticed is a slight increase in people drifting along in the outside lane, not overtaking anything. Luckily, I recently fitted some chavvy LED lights which do a great job of waking them up. :D

Associate
Had a numpty today pull out on me from a petrol station, wanting to turn right, into the path of my car, didn't have to slam on but it was close.

He sat there blocking my path for about 30 seconds while the traffic cleared so he could finish his manoeuvre, and then had the bloody cheek to give me the bird as he drove off.

Abysmal driving - been driving too long for this stuff to bother me now so laughed it off, but one day he's gonna do it to somebody else who will just plow right into the side of him.

Soldato

I'm even worse atm, I look BOTH ways at roundabouts and when emerging onto one way roads. That's how little I trust other drivers these days.

Had a numpty today pull out on me from a petrol station, wanting to turn right, into the path of my car, didn't have to slam on but it was close.

He sat there blocking my path for about 30 seconds while the traffic cleared so he could finish his manoeuvre, and then had the bloody cheek to give me the bird as he drove off.

Abysmal driving - been driving too long for this stuff to bother me now so laughed it off, but one day he's gonna do it to somebody else who will just plow right into the side of him.

You'd be surprised how ofter this happens whilst I'm driving a bus, usually taxis that do it in the city centre. They think we'll do everything to stop because we might get sacked for crashing. We wouldn't if it wasn't our fault (and maybe not even if it was)

Soldato
I'm even worse atm, I look BOTH ways at roundabouts and when emerging onto one way roads. That's how little I trust other drivers these days.

You'd be surprised how ofter this happens whilst I'm driving a bus, usually taxis that do it in the city centre. They think we'll do everything to stop because we might get sacked for crashing. We wouldn't if it wasn't our fault (and maybe not even if it was)
There are times when people pull Infront of me on a roundabout (say I'm traveling at 30-40 and the car pulls out into a gap about 10m long), that I have to force myself to break and not just smash in their door to teach them a lesson for being a moron. With regards to general standards, I've been working as normal and the last few weeks have seen a massive drop, however it's always poor around Christmas, and probably a touch of people who've been locked up for a month. I still think a compulsory driving test every 10 years would work wonders, as I feel some people don't realise you should stop if there's somebody on the roundabout.

Caporegime
Yeah, that's probably fair. I'd just lived in Cyprus, where the quality was most likely less but as there is much less traffic it's harder to notice.
I was about to mention Cyprus, the Cypriots idea of driving is quite scary compared to the U.K. although they do have far more visible traffic enforcement (police patrols, speed traps etc) than we do, we seem to put speed cameras up everywhere that’ll generate a profit and leave it at that, I’d far rather see cameras near schools, residential areas and the like instead just after a 60 limit drops to 40....

Other than for an incident/accident you simply don’t see patrol cars out and about in the U.K. and a lot of the muppets tend to drive accordingly to this....

Soldato
A lot more frustration and anger on the roads recently, I actually feel it's gotten worse during this year.

I drive my gf car often when I am home and it's a small purple car and I am regularly bullied on the roads with it :) people just pulling out on me, driving right up behind me.

A few month back just driving off of our street someone came right up behind me, so I just pulled over to let them past because I couldn't be bothered, only for them to get in front of me and then just stop in the middle of the road, I could see he was raging in the car shouting all sorts... I can't help but laugh but that always makes it worse, I mean I was happy if he wanted to throw a few jabs at my windscreen or side window, unless he was the terminator doubt anything would happen.

But anyway, yes a lot more simmering anger on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom