*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
....when it wakes from sleep I cannot connect to my NAS, I have to reboot and it's accessible again in Finder/locations.

Is your NAS set to power down it's drives?
And do you have to reboot or can you reconnect to/mount the shares again using the 'Connect to Server'/CMD+K (from Desktop)?

Try disabling the powering down of the drives on the NAS (can appreciate you don't wanting to do that) and you can try adding the mounted shares (save share credentials to your keychain) to your 'Login Items' under Settings > Users & Groups > (Your Account) which should reconnect on log in.

Otherwise there's apps like AutoMounter (paid) or you can script something using AutoFS.

Soldato
Had my first Sleep Wake Fail / forced restart on opening the lid of my 2019 16” Pro since buying it. Installed Big Sur about a week ago. Coincidence? :(

Associate
Is anyone having any copy/paste or handoff issues between iOS 14.2.1 and macOS 11.0.1 ? I'm not getting any joy in either field either, way between my iPhone 12 and MacBook Pro 2019.

Commissario
OP
Copy and paste has been fine for me between iPhone 12, iMac and M1 MBA. iCloud tabs is a different matter though. Sometimes they’re there, other times they’re not. It’s very random.

Associate
Copy and paste has been fine for me between iPhone 12, iMac and M1 MBA. iCloud tabs is a different matter though. Sometimes they’re there, other times they’re not. It’s very random.

Just checked iCloud tabs, I'm getting delayed tabs MacBook > iPhone but nothing iPhone > MacBook

EDIT: maybe I need to upgrade to an M1 to get these features to work :D

Associate
Could you advise if the AirPods handover (iPhone > Mac) is a pop up notification?

I have some progress for other maybe reading this with the same issue... Signed out of could on the Mac, I now have safari handover working and a notification to connect AirPods coming from using them with an iPhone.

As Feek says though, still not could tabs on my MacBook and now I've lost the (very) delayed could tabs on my iPhone, so no could tabs at all.

BUT, the most important feature, copy and paste is working !!! :cool:

EDIT: FYI, this is the first time I've done an upgrade rather than fresh install.

Commissario
OP
OK, I'm an idiot. Safari (iCloud) tabs is working on my M1 MBA. It's just that I hadn't dragged the icon for them onto the toolbar! I'm so used to accessing them that way on my iMac that I hadn't realised I'd added that icon manually. Now I've put it there and they're working.

Soldato
I'm finding the new way to action notifications really annoying.

Now when you get an email notification, you have to hover over it for a bit, then select from a drop down menu. Why not just have the immediate 'read' or 'delete' without a dropdown menu!? Before was so much faster and easier.

Soldato
I'm finding the new way to action notifications really annoying.

Now when you get an email notification, you have to hover over it for a bit, then select from a drop down menu. Why not just have the immediate 'read' or 'delete' without a dropdown menu!? Before was so much faster and easier.
Seems like it's designed for touch, I'm finding on my MBP that I swipe across on the trackpad whilst on it and that does the trick. I don't mind that interactivity but I don't like how it's not as easy to close them down by the 'X' in the corner as it was before.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
For those that have spotted the horrible 'snagging' glitch that causes the YouTube page to 'stick' when you scroll down, I've stumbled on a userscript snippet that fixes the issue until Apple/Google address it:

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        FixYouTubeScrolling
// @description Stop improper styling, Google
// @match       *://*youtube.*
// ==/UserScript==
ytd-page-manager {
  overflow-y: unset !important;
}

#page-manager.ytd-app {
  overflow-x: unset !important;
}

Hopefully that'll help some folk out :)

Commissario
OP
Bartender has been mentioned in this thread, the latest update allows you to reduce the spacing between menu icons back to how it was in Catalina which is a huge improvement.

Commissario
OP
11.2 is now out - Get it via Software Update. There is no combo update.

macOS Big Sur 11.2 Update 11.2 — Restart Required

macOS Big Sur 11.2 improves Bluetooth reliability and fixes the following issues:

• External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter
  • Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save
  • iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option
  • System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password
  • Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed

Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices.
For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Back
Top Bottom