Amazon: your total orders in 2020

Soldato
169 - actually thought it would be more even though that's still a lot. That includes buying things for a house move for myself and my Mother, new bits for a kitten a couple of months ago and obviously endless pointless things on top.

Caporegime
A grand total of 5 things. Amazon normally aren't the cheapest, so I rarely buy from them :p

They usually are which is why they are so popular. Plus I factor in the cost of getting it from elsewhere too. Like I could travel 30 minutes in the car one way to get an item but then the £3 I've saved I've spent £10 in fuel and done additional wear and tear to the car too probably another £10 worth in tyres, springs, wipers, fluids, etc.

I just ordered a glass measuring jug for £3 or £4 that I desperately needed because it's literally a matter of life and death if the measurement is wrong. There is no way I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere delivered or picked it up.

The day before that I checked Argos for something as I have vouchers and no stock. So I ordered off Amazon for the same price and waited a day or possibly two for delivery as it was over the weekend and it must not have been in stock in a local warehouse.

I don't know how to see how many orders I've made in the past year and it's likely a ridiculous amount. If I had to guess probably around 300+.

Caporegime
They usually are which is why they are so popular. Plus I factor in the cost of getting it from elsewhere too. Like I could travel 30 minutes in the car one way to get an item but then the £3 I've saved I've spent £10 in fuel and done additional wear and tear to the car too probably another £10 worth in tyres, springs, wipers, fluids, etc.
Clearly that's not the case for the things I buy, or I'd buy them from Amazon :p And I buy almost exclusively online, so no travelling.

The fact that everyone else hasn't gone bankrupt would suggest people are still buying plenty of things from non-Amazon sources. And if Amazon was always/mostly cheaper then people would just buy from from Amazon. Let's face it, Amazon is always listed in every product search and every comparison site.

So there must be lots and lots and lots of cases where Amazon is not cheaper. Which funnily enough is what I find.

Caporegime
Clearly that's not the case for the things I buy, or I'd buy them from Amazon :p And I buy almost exclusively online, so no travelling.

The fact that everyone else hasn't gone bankrupt would suggest people are still buying plenty of things from non-Amazon sources. And if Amazon was always/mostly cheaper then people would just buy from from Amazon. Let's face it, Amazon is always listed in every product search and every comparison site.

So there must be lots and lots and lots of cases where Amazon is not cheaper. Which funnily enough is what I find.

I buy a lot of tech and gadgets and yeah eBay is usually cheaper by a few quid but then it's usually fakes or coming from abroad, etc.

I just checked the usb stick I bought the other day is double the price in a physical store and £1 dearer at competitors who would take 3-4 days longer to deliver.

I usually search hukd for the best price when on deal for most stuff and a quick Google. I do buy from other places but I find Amazon are extremely competitive when it comes to price if a price drops lower elsewhere they usually match it within an hour.

Caporegime
I buy a lot of tech and gadgets and yeah eBay is usually cheaper by a few quid but then it's usually fakes or coming from abroad, etc.

I just checked the usb stick I bought the other day is double the price in a physical store and £1 dearer at competitors who would take 3-4 days longer to deliver.

I usually search hukd for the best price when on deal for most stuff and a quick Google. I do buy from other places but I find Amazon are extremely competitive when it comes to price if a price drops lower elsewhere they usually match it within an hour.
One thing I find, is that for a lot of items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, it pays to check if the seller has their own website.

A lot of times they do, and a lot of times buying direct instead of going through Amazon saves you a bit of cash.

Makes sense, since all purchases through Amazon will have Amazon taking their cut; buying direct cuts out the middle man :p

I'm not saying Amazon isn't sometimes the cheapest place. Sometimes they are. And often when a competitor is cheaper Amazon will try to price match.

But there are plenty of occasions when they don't, and a competitor is cheaper.

Haven't we had this conversation before? Getting serious deja-vu here :p

Back
Top Bottom