• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I think we need to be careful this time around as that’s a mistake some have made with their 2x8pin 3090s.

The Evga XOC bios has a hard limit of 150w per port, if you flash onto a two port card you end up with a 300w card instead of a 450w one as the bios won’t pull more than 150w per port.

That said, it depends on whether there will be an XOC bios for the 6900XT at all and which manufacturer does one.
You have a 75w allowance on the pci-e slot too.
I'd not want to be using more than 300w using water, I'd save the wattage of fans, power leakage from lower temps so in time I'll have to see how far that gets me!?

Soldato
I'd not want to be using more than 300w using water, I'd save the wattage of fans, power leakage from lower temps so in time I'll have to see how far that gets me!?

Yeah, It’s 320watt peak for the 6900XT reference non-OC so if you want to go AIB i would budget for around that at stock.

An overclocked 3090 wants to pull over 520watts and remains power limited in Port Royal even with the Kingpin bios loaded onto a 3x8pin custom card.

Based on that i am fairly confident the 6900XT customs with 3x8pin will pull 400watts+ when overclocked and using ray tracing.

Associate
Yeah, It’s 320watt peak for the 6900XT reference non-OC so if you want to go AIB i would budget for around that at stock.

An overclocked 3090 wants to pull over 520watts and remains power limited in Port Royal even with the Kingpin bios loaded onto a 3x8pin custom card.

Based on that i am fairly confident the 6900XT customs with 3x8pin will pull 400watts+ when overclocked and using ray tracing.
Undervolting is king now on all graphics cards. It's not overclocking anymore it's fighting algorithms and power limits lol.

Soldato
Quake 2 has been updated for Vulkun and AMD drivers support Vulkun Ray Tracing so we can test it out

CkE8Kw3pzex6T3ZyDTCyBU.png

Soldato
Quake 2 has been updated for Vulkun and AMD drivers support Vulkun Ray Tracing so we can test it out

That looks pretty bad for AMD. Interesting to see what their next iteration of RT cards can do. It does look more promising on the newer games, AMD look far more competitive going forwards.

Associate
That looks pretty bad for AMD. Interesting to see what their next iteration of RT cards can do. It does look more promising on the newer games, AMD look far more competitive going forwards.
With over 20 years in hardware, for me RT is a none starter until it's hit is under 5%. And the hardware is capable of that. It will be interesting say to jump 2 years ahead in a DeLorean to give the consoles time to mature with RT. The software ecosystem has years of catching up to do too. I'd class it as day one with RT software now the Vulcan support has dropped.

Associate
Read an article that 3080 has double the performance over the 6800xt in RT.

Starting to think I should spend £800 on a 3080 over an 6800xt now

Caporegime
I think its always been clear that if RT was a big concern for you, then you should just go for Nvidia. It felt that RT wasn't AMDs top concern this time around, and I imagine it will be on the next gen. This time it was about rasterisation performance, and they brought it, AMD is now a viable option against Nvidia for the first time in years.

Soldato
I think its always been clear that if RT was a big concern for you, then you should just go for Nvidia. It felt that RT wasn't AMDs top concern this time around, and I imagine it will be on the next gen. This time it was about rasterisation performance, and they brought it, AMD is now a viable option against Nvidia for the first time in years.

I just hope that whatever rayvtracing improvements AMD bring in Rdna3 makes its way into the PS5 Pro and next Xbox.

As nice as the new consoles are, they still have to make big sacrifices to output rayvtracing and a big advancement in that area could be a big selling point for Pro model consoles in 3 years. For example I'm playing Spider-Man miles morales on PS5 and to to run with Ray tracing I have to stick to 30fps or otherwise run 60fps but significantly reduce other graphics effects like anti aliasing, Ray tracing quality, NPC density, fog effects, shadows and other post processing effects and also cut the resolution in half

Associate
RT is over rated. Too many reflections on games at night is horrible too.

You still get reflections without RT in games. I don't know what the big fuss is.

I bet if you told someone that RT was turned on in a game they were playing and it wasn't, they would believe you.

The amount it tanks your FPS too, it's not worth it, even on the Nvidia cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom