Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
PM and EU chief agree to extend Brexit trade talks. The EU's Ursula von der Leyen says she and UK PM Boris Johnson will "go the extra mile" to get a deal.

The odds have flipped right back to there being a deal. Should be a positive Monday if anything.

I don't really get the extension, they've had since March to get a deal done, I don't see how an extra week is going to change things on the 2 sticking points of fishing & competition, nothing has changed from yesterday on them agreeing

Caporegime
I don't really get the extension, they've had since March to get a deal done, I don't see how an extra week is going to change things on the 2 sticking points of fishing & competition, nothing has changed from yesterday on them agreeing

I think of it like this.
Did you have homework at school/university? How often did you find yourself pulling an all-nighter to get it done, even though you have had 12 weeks to think about it? :p

Caporegime

You don't know that nothing has changed on them, EU hardened it's stance recently which nearly scuppered things (thanks to Macron and poss Merkel), now there seems to be a possible softening, if there is a deal in sight then it's practical to delay slightly.

Soldato
Politics is interference, its not productive. If ever theres a time less is more that'd fit.

Wow, AirBnB has popped. They got that valuation wrong

a lot of its speculative money looking for a home and something new with great hopes might be it. They moaned about RMG being a cheap IPO, it wasnt because long term theres struggles evident now. Lots of stuff should be cheap in theory with worrys and doubts in a year like 2020 but we have that QE money.
I've sold Blackrock mining fund which I only got last year, its gained over a third easily as commodities rise. Asia handling things far better could justify that but I have FTSE thats an overlap and too much in gold funds so Im over exposed.

Yeah I've taken a kick this morning, AML down, RR down, RR isn't just the Brexit thing though, they have a slightly lower than expected flying hours, they were expecting 45% vs last year, and ended up with 42%, still better than nothing though..
AML I dont know about apart from does Asia like them, any growth market demand is good but RR Im interested in, graph wise they have most of their volume in these prices down towards 90p where it peaks. I'll add a bit but ideally buys would be at 90p(ish) so long as its 'normal' bad news so will put an order there in case I forget.

Soldato
I think you'll be lucky to see sub 90p on RR again, maybe sub 100p depending on how Brexit goes.

AML I'm not 100% sold on, I won't be buying anymore I don't think, we'll just have to see how high they go with the new boss and DBX etc once The Rona is a bit more under control..

Permabanned
question:
- so far i've only used a s&s isa with hl so haven't had to think about this, but now I want to invest more
- if you have a regular share dealing account, when you sell, what happens?
a) it takes cgt from you and gives it to hmrc for you
b) it does nothing related to cgt, it's all up to you to fill out self-assessment
c) something else?

Caporegime
AML revenue looks dire from a quick google.

I got way too much USA stocks lol like 65% and 10% EU stocks
FX rate is killing any of my newer investments over the short term :D

I need to research some more UK stocks but most UK companies seem so boring, also if it's no deal it will probably kill the industries I would invest in.

Maybe I should get some more PRSM....

BP looks kinda low and I see they are trying to capture some of the EV charging market, diversified a bit in to renewable energy etc

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpor...ergy-agreements-with-amazon-web-services.html
BP will supply Amazon Web Services with 170 MW of renewable energy - the equivalent of powering 125,000 homes each year
BP will begin supplying AWS’s servers with 170 megawatts of renewable power each year. The expectation is to grow this relationship to more than double the capacity in excess of 400 MW.
okay it's probably a tiny deal in the grand scheme but still, it sounds pretty good

surely BP can only go up

tempted on hyve as well now it seems to have bottomed out

With most UK stocks that look like they're on a DIP or not overvalued I look at the financials and it's no wonder why... then I'm thinking how many years to recover, will you ever get your market cap back etc :(
then if brexit happens, I'm thinking a lot of these companies would basically be dead

Soldato
Hi guys, need to ask a basic question.

I currently have an S&S ISA with HL and the company I want to buy some shares in called Frontier Communications. They are listed in the USA OTC MKTS.
HL dont list this company and I expect my request for it to be added to be declined. Where would be a good place to purchase some?

Our CEO has just announced that he is leaving us to join them. He's turned us from losers to winners and Frontier hit rock bottom this week. It's a gamble for sure but ive trust he can do something (nor would I invest a lot of ££).

Caporegime

I currently have an S&S ISA with HL and the company I want to buy some shares in called Frontier Communications. They are listed in the USA OTC MKTS.
HL dont list this company and I expect my request for it to be added to be declined. Where would be a good place to purchase some?

Our CEO has just announced that he is leaving us to join them. He's turned us from losers to winners and Frontier hit rock bottom this week. It's a gamble for sure but ive trust he can do something (nor would I invest a lot of ££).

Nick Jeffrey didn't do much for the Vodafone share price. He became CEO in September 2016 (share price circa 220p), share price now circa 130p.

I suppose with a share price of 11 cents (from a high of more than $80) almost the only way for Frontier Communications is up.

Soldato

Just remember if you do go with 212 that you can only pay into one S&S ISA during a single tax year... (You can have multiple ISAs but only pay into one)... I had a HL ISA and ended up selecting the non-ISA type of account in 212 as a result

Soldato
Nick Jeffrey didn't do much for the Vodafone share price. He became CEO in September 2016 (share price circa 220p), share price now circa 130p.

I suppose with a share price of 11 cents (from a high of more than $80) almost the only way for Frontier Communications is up.

I think thats because its the Vodafone Group share price and not Vodafone UK.
The UK business within Vodafone Group was the worst operating opco before he took over and now its back to growth.

Thankyou for the 212 advice. I'll check it out now.

Caporegime
Offfttt- that's some drop!
They heard a new CEO is coming :D
Take more than a new CEO lol check their financials

EPS
-$16.4637

Total Revenue
$8.11B
Total Operating Expense
$13.1B
:eek:
Debt to assets 125% (obviously this is climbing for years unless they offload tons of assets but depending on what their main revenue comes from it might not even be possible, then how are they ever going to achieve growth? just looks like a company on it's death bed to me)

not worth it at 1cent imo

they hoping for someone to acquire the company or what?
what are the unfavourable market conditions? I can't be bothered to research where most the revenues come from, they sound like a broadband company though from the description on 212 if that's true would their revenue really be down because of covid

The more I think about it the more I wonder if this CEO you know is out of options lol.... why would you want to take on such a task, CEOs seem to enjoy getting big payouts whilst businesses fail though so guess it's not really a risk to him...

Last edited:
Soldato
What you described sounds exactly like Enron's venture into broadband!!!

Just finished reading - The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron.

Amazing read, long and a little technical at times but what went on is just beyond belief.

Associate
So, I am about to close my T212 dollar account which I had for one month (I'm looking to open a GBP account after that). I sold off my investments, which is a pity, because they were UK based and I paid stamp duty on them. I only had a small sum of ~£2000 there. Got charged 3.5% by my bank to convert to USD, then again 3.5% to convert back to GBP, lost out a bit on the gbp/usd changing not in my favor between deposit and withdrawal. Lost $215 on trading PFDs, earned ~$330 in regular investments - mostly bitcoin, RR, Scottish Mortgage. Had about $100 worth of free shares. All in all I came out with £20 loss which is not bad, considering I lost most of the money first hand and then earned them back.

Back
Top Bottom