***The Wine Thread***

taB

taB

Associate
Wasn’t paying attention. Bought a white bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape instead of the red :(

That’s a fairly expensive mistake!

Could be delicious but obviously not what you wanted. Quite often the glass is so dark its hard to tell, especially when some producers make both and don't bother putting "Blanc" on the label...

Soldato
I’m not sure I’d have noticed even if it did say “blanc”

I’d ran about 23 miles to pick up my dads car as he’s asked me to sell it and called into Aldi on the way home. Got this and an Amarone they do which I like.

Luckily my wife understands me and sent me to the local Waitrose for a second bottle of red :)

Soldato
Well i decided to stick it in the fridge yesterday and drank it last night. It was actually very good. Surprisingly so in fact.

We don't tend to have white much as my wife generally only likes Pinot Grigio and can only drink one glass or so, and i never used to be a fan, although i have found a taste for it from various taster menu wine flights.

taB

taB

Associate

Of the two. The Pinot Noir. Shiraz too OTT for Turkey dinner imo.

However, Christmas dinner with ALL THE TRIMMINGS is a nightmare for wine matching really. Everyone has their traditions and sides. Honey roasted parsnips, pigs in blankets, etc... all have different flavour profiles. It's like a cheese board in that there's no single right option wine wise. Eat nice food, drink something nice, job's a good'un. I'll probably be drinking white burgundy if we have Turkey. If I get my way and can bbq rib of beef then something like that shiraz will be on the cards.

Soldato
I had a beautiful Oregon Pinot with my bird last Christmas. These NW Pinots are luxurious without stomping all over everything else. Perfect. Shiraz probably needs a stronger meat, say a goose, to stand up to it.

Soldato
That Oregon Pinot has a few more years on the RRV one, and TBH pinot Noir isn't my area of expertise. I like my shiraz and I've tried the orphan bank already and it was gorgeous, not tried that RRV pinot noir yet.
Thanks for the tips though, I might try something more subtle with my turkey for a change..

Associate
Anyone having troubles with laithwaites.co.uk? I keep getting an access denied error.
Wanted to place an order with them (have used them before and am very satisified) but can't get in.

Failing that, maybe someone can recommend a good alternative?

Soldato
Anyone having troubles with laithwaites.co.uk? I keep getting an access denied error.
Wanted to place an order with them (have used them before and am very satisified) but can't get in.

Failing that, maybe someone can recommend a good alternative?

Virgin wines are another route to Laithwaite's stock. Other good places to order wine other than the supermarkets are the wine society, but you need to be a paid member, Slurp, Majestic. If your looking for something specific you could try looking for wines on Vivino.

Soldato
I heard good things about a Zinfandel called 1000 Stories and it's discounted down to £9 a bottle at Tesco in their 25% off deals.

My Christmas booze list is

Majestic
6x Guv'Nor (Spanish Blend from Majestic. Im a huge fan for the price)
3x Desire, Lust and Zin (Primitivo from Majestic. Again not expensive but delivious and a great label!)

Tesco. Only had the Barossa Ink out of these but they all review well on Vivino
3x 1000 Stories Zinfandel
2x DV Catena Cabernet Franc
2x DV Catena Historico Malbec
1x Carnivor Zinfandel
1x Barossa Ink Shiraz

Also got 3 bottles of the i Heart Prossecco from Tesco, at £5 a bottle it's better than most other sparkling wines at that price point.

Just need to pick myself up some Champagne now.

Soldato
I heard good things about a Zinfandel called 1000 Stories and it's discounted down to £9 a bottle at Tesco in their 25% off deals.

My Christmas booze list is

Majestic
6x Guv'Nor (Spanish Blend from Majestic. Im a huge fan for the price)
3x Desire, Lust and Zin (Primitivo from Majestic. Again not expensive but delivious and a great label!)

Tesco. Only had the Barossa Ink out of these but they all review well on Vivino
3x 1000 Stories Zinfandel
2x DV Catena Cabernet Franc
2x DV Catena Historico Malbec
1x Carnivor Zinfandel
1x Barossa Ink Shiraz

Also got 3 bottles of the i Heart Prossecco from Tesco, at £5 a bottle it's better than most other sparkling wines at that price point.

Just need to pick myself up some Champagne now.

TBH picking up some bottles of the Tesco finest premier cru Champagne when the 25% off offer is on is always a good idea. I rather like it, especially at £15 (better IMO than a lot of ~£30 champagnes). I wouldn't serve it as the main attraction at Christmas or other celebrations, but I'd use it as a follow up or just whenever I feel like a cheap treat.

Soldato
Opened one of the 1000 Stories last night, i'm not sure if it was a good example of it though. The other 2 came in a box, this one didn't, which didn't particularly bother me. However on removing the foil, the top of the cork was stained red. Then when pulling it out, there is some visible damage to the cork as in gouges in the sides which are also stained red. The actual sides of the cork otherwise seem normally coloured though.

It smelt pretty sulphatey when opening the bottle, which made me wonder if it was bad. It also tasted pretty wrong on first taste, however it seemed to open up in the glass, this seemed to repeat with every pour, first taste was rubbish and then leaving it in the glass a few minutes seemed to help.

On the downside, i only had around 2/3s of the bottle and feel like i've drank about 2 bottles of wine :(

Soldato
Yeah fair point. The Louval Fontaine from Asda is usually decent too and it's only £14

Annoyingly i could've sworn i had 2 bottles of Bollinger since it was £26, but having checked my order theres no sign of it :(
We got a few Veuve Clicquot from amazon black Friday deals, £26! Bargain.

Hope yours turn up!

Soldato
Been meaning to try the vintner in the village since I moved in, only French wines though and I usually drink New World.

Got a Dampt-Freres Cremant De Bourgogne, and a Casters Liebart Rene Marcel Tete De Cuvee for tomorrow.

He had some Niepoort Colheita 2004 in which I love but it's usually tough to find, so all sorted!

Soldato
Guys, what kind of white wine is the most light and refreshing with a fresh fruity taste? Sort of wine that even non wine drinkers would like to ready their palate for a nice pasta dish or the like?

Rob, I'll give you my threppence worth, but it has the usual caveat that taste perceptions vary between people, so don't blame me if you disagree :p

First, what to absolutely avoid... In my experience the white wine that splits drinkers the most is Chardonnay, when matured in oak barrels. This can put lots of strong woody flavours in but, more importantly, usually leads to malolactic fermentation which converts malic acid to lactic acid (the name gave it away). This creates a less zingy, slightly sweeter taste and a rich, buttery mouth feel. Chardonnay is not usually light. Unoaked examples are relatively rare but do not have this richness and I'm a big fan.

Next, a maybe. Sauvignon Blanc is another option, but care is needed to get the lighter ones. At one end of the spectrum are the New Zealand SBs which are very shouty with strong tropical fruit flavours. They can't be described as light but are certainly fruity. They can stamp on food flavours. The other end is French SBs which are lighter, have more citrus and green apple than tropical flavours, and usually have a much nicer mineral finish. This ticks the refreshing box. In between are SBs from South Africa and South America, which can lean either way and would need some testing on your part :cool:

Third, another that sprang to mind because you said Pasta is Vermentino from Sardinia or the west side of the Italian mainland. If you can find the right one it will work perfectly. Again, though, they vary from quite light to quite rich. A lighter one would be fruity and a bit sherberty and very refreshing. Needs research.

Now, a mixture of great suggestions. Albarino from Spain and French Picpoul de Pinet both fit the bill perfectly, especially with fish or seafood dishes. They are great value, light and refreshing and usually fruity. A Greek Assyrtiko would also be a great choice, but they are a bit more expensive. A Riesling or Gruner Veltiner could work but there is a wide range of quality. Avoid Gewurztraminer because they stamp and shout.

Finally, a pair of curve ball suggestions. Try a Portugese Vinho Verde, which are a bit lower in alcohol (lighter) and have a really gentle sparkle (refreshing) with green apple flavours. Great in Summer and good value. A Swiss Chasselas, dry and light, and definitely fruity.

TLDR: avoid Chardonnay and stay in Europe.

Caporegime
Rob, I'll give you my threppence worth, but it has the usual caveat that taste perceptions vary between people, so don't blame me if you disagree :p

First, what to absolutely avoid... In my experience the white wine that splits drinkers the most is Chardonnay, when matured in oak barrels. This can put lots of strong woody flavours in but, more importantly, usually leads to malolactic fermentation which converts malic acid to lactic acid (the name gave it away). This creates a less zingy, slightly sweeter taste and a rich, buttery mouth feel. Chardonnay is not usually light. Unoaked examples are relatively rare but do not have this richness and I'm a big fan.

Next, a maybe. Sauvignon Blanc is another option, but care is needed to get the lighter ones. At one end of the spectrum are the New Zealand SBs which are very shouty with strong tropical fruit flavours. They can't be described as light but are certainly fruity. They can stamp on food flavours. The other end is French SBs which are lighter, have more citrus and green apple than tropical flavours, and usually have a much nicer mineral finish. This ticks the refreshing box. In between are SBs from South Africa and South America, which can lean either way and would need some testing on your part :cool:

Third, another that sprang to mind because you said Pasta is Vermentino from Sardinia or the west side of the Italian mainland. If you can find the right one it will work perfectly. Again, though, they vary from quite light to quite rich. A lighter one would be fruity and a bit sherberty and very refreshing. Needs research.

Now, a mixture of great suggestions. Albarino from Spain and French Picpoul de Pinet both fit the bill perfectly, especially with fish or seafood dishes. They are great value, light and refreshing and usually fruity. A Greek Assyrtiko would also be a great choice, but they are a bit more expensive. A Riesling or Gruner Veltiner could work but there is a wide range of quality. Avoid Gewurztraminer because they stamp and shout.

Finally, a pair of curve ball suggestions. Try a Portugese Vinho Verde, which are a bit lower in alcohol (lighter) and have a really gentle sparkle (refreshing) with green apple flavours. Great in Summer and good value. A Swiss Chasselas, dry and light, and definitely fruity.

TLDR: avoid Chardonnay and stay in Europe.
Thank you so much for that extremely helpful reply.

Can I ask your advice on 3 more wines please?

What are Pinot Grigio, Neirsteiner and Piersporter like?

Back
Top Bottom