• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x or 5900x for gaming build

Soldato
OP
Yeah im glad i done a bit of research now i was seriously contemplating getting a 5800x (cause new consoles have 8 cores lol) or even a 5900x (cause it will last longer - no it wont). If i go with the 5600x i can get a pretty well rounded high end gaming system that will actually last a long time for my gaming needs.

Soldato
Exactly. Looking at the actual numbers the difference is negligible, and a 5600x will be capable for YEARS. People are still using ten year old 4 core processors and playing games with modern GPU’s. Reality is, a 5600x will be perfect for gaming for a good few years, and by that point a 5900 will be old hat and you can upgrade to a new platform. The 5900 between now and then doesn’t give you a credible benefit in pure gaming terms. Maybe the odd one or two.

Associate
Always best to upgrade more frequently, 2 years or so, no point buying a 16 core CPU just for gaming as in a couple of years it will be overtaken by a CPU with half as many cores due to having better IPC.

Associate
Always best to upgrade more frequently, 2 years or so
eh? maybe for GPUs its true, but CPU performance has been stagnating for so long, there was very little reason to upgrade.
I used my 6700K for 5 years and only upgraded because of the itch to do so. It can still run everything I need just fine.

Associate
eh? maybe for GPUs its true, but CPU performance has been stagnating for so long, there was very little reason to upgrade.
I used my 6700K for 5 years and only upgraded because of the itch to do so. It can still run everything I need just fine.

CPU's can be kept for a long time and will certainly work in years to come, but performance will drop, how much so is hard to say. At the moment something like a 5600x is perfect for gaming, anything more is a waste, how long it says like that is a bit of an unknown.

The difference between a 5600x and something like a 5900x is too large to get any real benefit by just gaming, especially when at ultrawide and 4k resolutions. You would get more for your money by getting a 5600x and then upgrading to a similar CPU in a couple of years with much better IPC and perhaps new features the old CPU does not have.

Soldato
Always best to upgrade more frequently, 2 years or so, no point buying a 16 core CPU just for gaming as in a couple of years it will be overtaken by a CPU with half as many cores due to having better IPC.
Yeah it's a way overkill for gaming currently, 12 and 16 cores are more for production and development rather than gaming, maybe if your doing multiple things like streaming but even then 8 cores will be fine. Developers aren't going to suddenly require a ton of cores, using them all adequately is really difficult. IPC gains and core speed will always be better for gaming after a certain point more core's aren't going to get you many gains.

Associate
Yeah it's a way overkill for gaming currently, 12 and 16 cores are more for production and development rather than gaming, maybe if your doing multiple things like streaming but even then 8 cores will be fine. Developers aren't going to suddenly require a ton of cores, using them all adequately is really difficult. IPC gains and core speed will always be better for gaming after a certain point more core's aren't going to get you many gains.

Exactly. I blame all these youtubers building systems with fancy maximus hero 20 motherboards, their 9900k and 5950x CPU's and 32gb memory kits corrupting folk. LOL

Soldato
Watching the above videos im actually leaning towards a 5600x now haha. The extra money will get a better gpu and bigger storage.
If you plan to keep the system for 2-3 years then go with the cheaper 5600X, 5 years or more then go with either the 5800X or 5900X since both will be fine with 5900X being preferable if you do any streaming or core heavy workloads.

As for the GPU the sweet spot on price / performance is the 6800XT assuming you can get one near msrp. spending more is not really worth it for an extra 10% performance, save that cash difference and invest it in a new GPU in 2 years time where the gains will 50%+ over the 6800XT.

Soldato
You wouldn't be saying that if you had brought an AMD FX series CPU all then years ago, Its taken AMD 5 years to catch up then overtake Intel so now the race is on and the next 5 years should bring strong improvements in the CPU market.

The GPU market should get moving too after nvidia took a couple of years out with the lackluster Turing then cheaped out by going with Samsung and allowed AMD to catch up in rasterisation so expect big gains from both over the next 5 years with Intel also joining the market to add extra completion.

Soldato
You wouldn't be saying that if you had brought an AMD FX series CPU all then years ago, Its taken AMD 5 years to catch up then overtake Intel so now the race is on and the next 5 years should bring strong improvements in the CPU market.

I'm not sure what bringing an AMD FX CPU has do with anything but the real question is will we actually need big improvement in the CPU markets to continue gaming fine? I had my previous chip for a record (to me) 64 months before upgrading and the sandybridge chips before that lasted a good 40 months so I expect a 5600X will be more than good enough for gaming for a few years.

Soldato
I'm not sure what bringing an AMD FX CPU has do with anything but the real question is will we actually need big improvement in the CPU markets to continue gaming fine? I had my previous chip for a record (to me) 64 months before upgrading and the sandybridge chips before that lasted a good 40 months so I expect a 5600X will be more than good enough for gaming for a few years.
I'm just pointing out how fast CPUs are advancing now atleast from AMD so maybe in 5 years time these current CPUs will be as far behind as the old FX chips are to the current ryzen, GPUs should advance at a good pace too now with genuine competition so in 5 years we could be looking at GPUs which are 2~3 times faster than what we have now and could be even more depending on how MCM works out.

The stagnation years are over and things are moving again.

Associate
It's really a balancing decision. I suspect in about 3 years we'll look at 6 cores the same way we look at quads now. The new consoles are 8 cores and don't have windows faffing around in the background.

If you're looking at upgrading at that point, you're looking at replacing your mobo and ram too.

Soldato
5600 will be fine. AMD doubled ryzen performance since they first launched. In three more years who knows where we will be, and I don’t see the extra cores mitigating the inevitable IPC improvements. Essentially, a 5900 won’t give you a better gaming experience between now and three years time over a 5600. At which point, it will be quite heavily outclassed anyway. And even if it is and you don’t want to move platform, you will be able to pick up a 5900 very reasonably. So you would be paying a premium for longevity, which I think is probably not worth it (in pure gaming terms).

Soldato
OP
It's really a balancing decision. I suspect in about 3 years we'll look at 6 cores the same way we look at quads now. The new consoles are 8 cores and don't have windows faffing around in the background.

If you're looking at upgrading at that point, you're looking at replacing your mobo and ram too.

It's not the extra cores that give games it's FPS improvements it's the IPC and threads etc. A good example look at the rare 3300x quad core CPU but zen3 architecture, awesome performance and if clocked to 3900x speed it would be the same performance.

Associate
It's not the extra cores that give games it's FPS improvements it's the IPC and threads etc. A good example look at the rare 3300x quad core CPU but zen3 architecture, awesome performance and if clocked to 3900x speed it would be the same performance.

Assuming the game in question doesn't need more threads than the cpu can offer... There's a reason we're not all packing super clocked single cores.

Back
Top Bottom