***Snow sports thread 20/21***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, it's that time of year again where we start looking forward to our winter sports adventures - at least in the northern hemisphere! Ruka, Finland opened today to being it's 200 days season!

It's going to be a weird season with Corona still in full swing so what have people got planned? Keeping it local in Scotland, planning some French road trips or risking it on planes?

What about gear, anything new or planning to get?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
We have four snowboarding trips booked this year. Last year we went to Ruka for christmas and it was amazing, so that's how we're kicking our year off this season - another trip over Christmas. Got a nice log cabin booked through Crystal Ski. We then fly from Kuusamo > Helsinki > Oslo for a week over new year at Trysil. This Feb half term we've booked a cottage near Glen Shee so going to give Scottish snowboarding a go for the first time. To round off our season, we've got a cabin booked at Lindvallen, Sweden - looks like a nice little compact resort with plenty to do besides snowboarding (tropical pool with slides, bowling alley etc).

Man of Honour
Playing it by ear for the moment. I have pals in 3 valleys and Chamonix so can make last minute decisions and always have a bed. For obvious reasons abandoned more elaborate plans including Japan. I'll go whenever I can and it is reasonable to do so.

This season was least I have snowboarded in more than 20 years (not moaning).

Associate
Off to Les Menuires (3 Valleys) first week of January 2021 for a bit of snowboarding.
Wait and see what happens...accept that I might need to cancel if situation hasn't improved a bit.
Would lose flight (£100) and 50% of AirBnB (£250) if don't feel comfortable going.

Associate
rumours going around that France won't open ski resorts until mid Jan, some some people suggesting it will be the 20th jan (to coincide with gym openings). Apparently an official decision is expected to be announced on 1st Dec.

It will hit the Alp's economy LOADS so I'm sure there will be pressure to open as close to New Year as possible, if there's concerns over too many people mingling over Xmas.

https://planetski.eu/2020/11/24/will-ski-resorts-in-france-open/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexle...-bars-restaurants-stay-shut-until-20-january/

Associate
Off to Les Menuires (3 Valleys) first week of January 2021 for a bit of snowboarding.
Wait and see what happens...accept that I might need to cancel if situation hasn't improved a bit.
Would lose flight (£100) and 50% of AirBnB (£250) if don't feel comfortable going.
Based on news coming out of France I decided to cancel the above trip.
Good news is that I got a 'full refund' albeit vouchers/credit on flight and AirBnB.
Surprisingly the AirBnB gave me a full refund/credit despite cancellation policy saying 50%.
Hoping to reschedule in late March but who knows...resigned to writing off boarding this year.:(

Caporegime
i have 1 week booked in east of Switzerland, small resort where i am the onéy 1 to ski powder.

I don't think Covid19 will be an issue although noh certain.

whatbis certain, is this has been a terrible start to the season. I have only had 1 day so far (at Verbier) back on November 1st. Hasn't snowed since and everything is completely green now. Forecast is laso dire soni actually reckon that the resorts in Switzerland will be largely closed due to lack of snow than any Covid restrictions

Man of Honour
i have 1 week booked in east of Switzerland, small resort where i am the onéy 1 to ski powder.

I don't think Covid19 will be an issue although noh certain.

whatbis certain, is this has been a terrible start to the season. I have only had 1 day so far (at Verbier) back on November 1st. Hasn't snowed since and everything is completely green now. Forecast is laso dire soni actually reckon that the resorts in Switzerland will be largely closed due to lack of snow than any Covid restrictions

Covid shouldn't be a problem as loads of Swiss locals are regularly out on the slopes daily at the moment.

Caporegime
Covid shouldn't be a problem as loads of Swiss locals are regularly out on the slopes daily at the moment.

not really as everywhere is closed due to lack of snow.

And although Switzerland seems to want to keep resorts open they haven't confirmed they definitely will.

Man of Honour
not really as everywhere is closed due to lack of snow.

And although Switzerland seems to want to keep resorts open they haven't confirmed they definitely will.

Only the common resorts, the locals know all of the decent local areas. Avoiding the German areas helps too ;)

Associate
Expect this'll be the first year in 10 I won't get a trip in anywhere, usually manage 1 or 2 a year. Also had a baby in August so actually a good excuse not to go, and most of my group also aren't going due to corona. So less feeling like I'm missing out.

Have previously managed a day or two in the Lake District, but if the weather is good enough I might give Scotland a go for a day or so. Partner's mum lives in Carlisle so overnight stay there and isn't too bad a trip first thing in the morning I hope.

Associate
No accomodation booked yet, we picked up flights to Geneva for a bargain £80 including luggage and board bags for the second week in March. Going to wait nearer the time and hopefully get something booked up...fingers crossed.

Soldato
What's the gear these days, back in 90s it used to bright bright multicoloured ski jackets and salopettes with straps.

I take it these will be ok,

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/s...ettes-skiing-pants/dusk-ski-pant-p11790.aspx/

What about under these, I thought a pair of running tights. Then just a thermal top and ski jacket.

Standard kit =

Top:
Merino base layer
Polartec or other grid light to mid-weight fleece (variable depending on temps, I have 3 different warmth ones)
Weatherproof shell
Gloves (thin for anything over about 5, thicker for anything below and thick + merino liner gloves for anything <-15)

Bottom:
Merino 3/4 base layer (don't want anything in your boot other than the sock)
Lightish weight merino ski socks (want a tight boot fit)
Weatherproof shell pants
If it's sub -10 I'll throw on some Polartec/grid fleece 3/4 tights over the base layer

If you're taking lessons and standing round a lot and/or are a beginner than usually most just get insulated jackets/pants but these become less versatile in future - e.g. when I went skiing last time on a couple of days it was 5 and some others 15 degrees c so I would have cooked if I had an insulated jacket.

Those MH salos are very insulated (fleece-lined) and only water repellent rather than resistant so will soak through on a wet chair left or if you're sat in snow. Of course it depends where you're going skiing as to how cold it will be, but I would rather go for something lightly or not insulated for the legs and use layering (I'm low on body fat and feel the cold but have never needed nearly as much insulation for my lower half than my body) - a lot of the ski places are doing sales and there's always SportsPursuit too so I'd look for something with the standard water and wind resistance ratings labelled (minimum 10k, ideally >15k for both).

Soldato
Starting to look likely that there’s not going to be a season this year, at least for us in the UK. Was hoping for some snow so I could ski down the estate but so far I’ve had a 5 min dusting last week which melted instantly - bad times. Hopefully I can at least save that money up for 2021/22 season and get an extra trip in!

Going to get some stuff to work on the 5 ski essentials as between a DIY slant board and balance board you can kinda cover tipping, flexing, counter-balance, counter-rotation and fore/aft balance.

Back
Top Bottom