*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Associate
Soldato
Last I saw was Jake Paul calling out McGregor and then having some beef with Nate.

The above and Amanda would destroy him, he's just chasing clout because his brother is making a fortune with Mayweather

Soldato
This recent trend of putting youtubers against each other, and on ppv at that, doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. Even the Mayweather vs Logan Paul fight will be getting a pass. This fight however would be interesting to watch, just out of curiosity;

https://sports.yahoo.com/amanda-nunes-wants-to-fight-jake-paul-in-a-boxing-match-200508962.html

Doubt it would happen. As good as she is in MMA, still not sure I'd back her here.
You wouldn’t back the best women’s MMA fighter ever in a boxing match against some nobody who can’t throw a punch?

Associate
You wouldn’t back the best women’s MMA fighter ever in a boxing match against some nobody who can’t throw a punch?

Can't say I care much for the guy but that's a pretty ridiculous statement to make. He's had some high level tutelage for a couple of years now.

“He has sparred over 250 rounds in total. 4-6 rounds at a time with at least 55 professionals over the last 12 months. As sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, Jake will win by KO!” Flores told BoxingScene.com.

So no, I wouldn't back to worlds best WOMEN's MMA fighter against him in a boxing match.

Soldato
Can't say I care much for the guy but that's a pretty ridiculous statement to make. He's had some high level tutelage for a couple of years now.

So no, I wouldn't back to worlds best WOMEN's MMA fighter against him in a boxing match.
Where is that quote from about him sparring for 250 hours?

All that time and he’s still useless in the ring.

Soldato
What do you mean?
Men are just physically stronger than women.

But in one way, the sex difference is stark: Men are physically stronger than women, on average. A study in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that men had an average of 26 lbs. (12 kilograms) more skeletal muscle mass than women. Women also exhibited about 40 percent less upper-body strength and 33 percent less lower-body strength, on average, the study found.

The researchers found that height and weight differences between men and women could explain only about half of the difference in strength. Researchers reporting in 1993 in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that men's brawn could also be attributed to a larger cross-section in individual muscle fibers. [5 Myths About Women's Bodies]

And a 2006 study in the same journal revealed that men had much stronger grips than women — the difference was so big that 90 percent of the women scored lower than 95 percent of the men. The team also looked at highly trained female athletes who excelled at sports requiring a strong grip, such as judo or handball. Though these women did have a stronger grip compared with other women, they still performed worse than 75 percent of the men on this task.

source

To test their hypothesis the researchers had to measure punching strength, but carefully. If participants directly punched a bag or other surface, they risked hand injury. Instead, the researchers rigged up a hand crank that would mimic the motions of a punch. They also measured participants' strength in pulling a line forward over their head, akin to the motion of throwing a spear. This tested an alternative hypothesis that males' upper body strength may have developed for the purpose of throwing or spear hunting.

Twenty men and 19 women participated. "We had them fill out an activity questionnaire," Morris says, "and they had to score in the 'active' range. So, we weren't getting couch potatoes, we were getting people that were very fit and active."

But even with roughly uniform levels of fitness, the males' average power during a punching motion was 162% greater than females', with the least-powerful man still stronger than the most powerful woman. Such a distinction between genders, Carrier says, develops with time and with purpose.

source

So even though she's an elite fighter she's going to be at a significant physical disadvantage. Even if she was bigger it still wouldn't be fair

She'd still spark me out without breaking a sweat though

Soldato
Men are just physically stronger than women.

So even though she's an elite fighter she's going to be at a significant physical disadvantage. Even if she was bigger it still wouldn't be fair

She'd still spark me out without breaking a sweat though
I don’t see it as a physical disadvantage, there’s probably a few inches at most in height between them, she’s older, more experienced, she probably hits harder than he does too.

She’s also got that mentality of not giving up, she’s an animal in the cage, I’d expect her to be the same in the ring too.

Don’t just write her off because “men are stronger than women”, you can say that when talking about the entire population but when you narrow it down and compare between two people, a lot of different factors come into play.

Soldato
You're probably one of those that a few years ago thought Ronda Rousey would beat Floyd Mayweather ;)
You would think that if you’re a moron.

Mayweather is one of the best boxers we’ve ever seen, certainly the best defensive boxer ever.

We’re talking about jake Paul, a 23 year old who’s had 2 professional fights.

Soldato
I don’t see it as a physical disadvantage, there’s probably a few inches at most in height between them, she’s older, more experienced, she probably hits harder than he does too.

She’s also got that mentality of not giving up, she’s an animal in the cage, I’d expect her to be the same in the ring too.

Don’t just write her off because “men are stronger than women”, you can say that when talking about the entire population but when you narrow it down and compare between two people, a lot of different factors come into play.

But science disagrees with you. Again, when all things are equal men had 162% greater power measured. So if Jake weighs more that already that means he is going to have more muscle than her and in turn he will hit harder than her.

Granted her technique will probably allow her to throw better and more effective punches but assuming Jake is throwing a punch with good technique, chances are he will hit harder than she does.

Nunes is a 5'6'' ~135lb woman. Paul is a 6'1'' ~190lb man. If he hits her on the chin she's getting put to sleep.

It's literally a lightweight fighting a cruiserweight.

Soldato
Can we all get back to topic and talk boxing rather that nonsense exhibition so called fights. :p

Looking forward to the Canelo Smith fight this weekend but don't really give Smith much of a chance! Think it will be an alarm job rather than staying up all night

Soldato
The size difference was shocking but I still heavily favour Canelo. He's just a phenomenal fighter

Yeah they just look like they shouldn't be sharing a ring, plus it will only be more noticeable on fight night as Smith hydrates up after the weigh in. If he can make the most of his reach and size advantage he could just be in with a shout; may even have a cheeky punt on Smith points at 17/2

Soldato
Yeah they just look like they shouldn't be sharing a ring, plus it will only be more noticeable on fight night as Smith hydrates up after the weigh in. If he can make the most of his reach and size advantage he could just be in with a shout; may even have a cheeky punt on Smith points at 17/2
The draw is 22/1 on Bet365 just now and Smith on points is 9/1.

Was thinking about a wee punt but I'm probably just chucking money away.

You never know though, he's a much better fighter than his brother.

Back
Top Bottom