Why only two gang plug sockets in the UK?

Associate
I was hoping to swap out some of my two gang sockets for six gang ones so I could get rid of extension cables on the floor or command stripped the wall. The only gang larger than two I can find is 3!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-3-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white/17315

I presume there’s a legal / safety issue behind this but it seems odd given I can connect a 10 plug extension directly into it.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Perhaps I’m just not searching in the right place.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I would think simply down to very little demand. UK sockets are quite large and even that 3 gang is an eyesore. Something like a 6 gang would be absolutely enormous dug into a wall...

Soldato
Generally to stop so much load going through a single point. That 3 gang unit you link to is fused so you can only draw 13 amps over the 3 sockets, plugging 2 large appliances into a double socket can be a hazard in itself, I have seen melted sockets because of it. Yes you can buy a 10 gang extension but it depends what you are using it for, remember all those 10 sockets can only draw 13 amps.

Associate
I recently spurred off the double sockets either side of the bed with a 2nd double to give enough outlets for lamp/clock/chargers etc. leaving a 2cm gap between the faceplates makes them look a bit better. If you want more it's not hard to just extend the ring between 3 colocated sockets.

Soldato
I would think simply down to very little demand. UK sockets are quite large and even that 3 gang is an eyesore. Something like a 6 gang would be absolutely enormous dug into a wall...

Not sure about all, but i bought one of these and it just screws onto a regular 2 gang backbox, as it's still just the same number of wires coming in. Obviously it's a little bulky though to cover the wall.

It works well, and it's behind furniture so don't need to worry about looks.

Soldato
Something like a 6 gang would be absolutely enormous dug into a wall...

Yeah that would be hideous, at least with an extension lead you can hide it behind/under a cupboard/furniture.

With the amount of electrical items that households have (most being low powered), it's surprising there's not more sockets around rooms. I've got two extension leads in my office, i reckon i've got 10-12 plugs plugged in. Even if everything was on at the same time and pulling max current, i'd probably be around 4-6amps, so well under what the socket is capable of. But that would take up so much room if i had six 2-gang sockets all in one location.

Soldato
Caporegime
pretty sure 2 gang is normal in EU as well. oh wait you get these weird looking things in some rooms, kinda confusing when you are faced with that and a 2 prong plug lol
02WsnPp.jpg

(not mine that is disgusting and needs replacing)
most rooms only have a double gang or single but the light switches also have a plug socket which is really useful for hoovering before robots took over
OOWnohW.jpg

Even the bathroom light switch has a plug socket

Last edited:
Caporegime
How many amps do they pull from a lighting circuit?
IDK I guess they are full power cos we had a multiplug in the kitchen light switch with the microwave, coffee machine etc and sometimes I plugged the hoover in there.

it's probably 2 different sets of wires behind the socket I assume.

They be crazy though heres an old kids toy :D
8XbVpQY.jpg

it's real just small in size

Soldato
How many amps do they pull from a lighting circuit?

Likely its not a lighting circuit at all, just a general power and lighting cirucit fused at 16A. I think its a bit of a british oddity to separate lighting circuits from power, as brits we might have a 32A ring and a 6A lighting cirucit for upstairs, many in the EU would have two 16A circuits, each covering two bedrooms for power and lighting, and the bathroom on with the two smaller rooms.

Its another thing like ring cirucits and the bulky plug to go with them, no sockets in bathrooms, pull cords switches in bathroom that we have for largely historical reasons and some times kid our selves make our electrical system safer than those in forgein places*, or rather other EU places

*If you start to include eastern europe, or south amercia then its clear we have a safer system than many.... (but theres probably not much differnce in safety between the main EU members in terms of safety)

Man of Honour
pretty sure 2 gang is normal in EU as well. oh wait you get these weird looking things in some rooms, kinda confusing when you are faced with that and a 2 prong plug lol
02WsnPp.jpg

(not mine that is disgusting and needs replacing)
most rooms only have a double gang or single but the light switches also have a plug socket which is really useful for hoovering before robots took over
OOWnohW.jpg

Even the bathroom light switch has a plug socket

Those aren't legal to install these days. The safe versions have recessed sockets and no ambiguity about pins.

Associate
OP
See I find the extensions far uglier. They fall over, hang loose, create extra wires. Sometimes the plugs I’m putting in cover the other outlets on them (so frustrating) and they end up looking like Medusa.

I’d be happier with them in the wall. I actually fixed a few extensions to the wall but then they still have wires trailing from them and you can’t inset them.

So it’s just gonna be gangs of 2 next to each other I guess.

Back
Top Bottom