New 55" TV - LG CX OLED? Sony A8? Or something else

Soldato
10 days after we replaced the TV killed by our 5 year old with tea, the ratbag smashed its replacement with Lego.

Bizarrely the insurers have given us more money to buy a replacement so the budget has increased.

So, should I get the LG CX OLED? The Sony A8? Or just get a like-for-like replacement and get another Samsung Q95T?

If anyone is going to inflict burn-in on a TV it is our family, so I'm a bit apprehensive about OLED. The Samsung seemed very decent - snappy OS, and a nice picture.

Soldato
OP
Profit!! And then buy one of each ;)

Seriously though, just don't go into a shop and demo any of them because you will buy one of the Oleds.

How often do you change your TV?
Before kids, every 10 years. With kids, current performance is every 10 days. I wouldn't consider upgrading without a need to - ie, when the current one breaks(or is broken).

Associate
Excluding the Samsung, these seem to be the top two choices from an OLED point of view.

I'm in a similar quandary but without the destructive 5 year old (I just have a 10 year old that watches a lot of YouTube!)

My plan is to relegate the current 43" LG LCD to the another room (and relegate the 10 year old with it). We only have the one TV right now.

I'm a big LG fan and love the WebOS with Magic Remote that we have right now. The family like it and can use it comfortably. The main sticking point is the lack of catchup apps on 2020 TVs. IPlayer and ITV Hub are there but no 4OD (for her dose of Gogglebox). If all the apps were there, I'd go LG no problem. 3rd party Firestick etc isn't even a consideration - I'm fine with it but it just overcomplicates things for the rest of the family. Simple is important.

The Sony on the other hand is Android TV which I've never used but understand it is ok now. Has all the apps but no HDMI 2.1. As a casual gamer (1-2 hrs per week PS4 currently), I don't think this is ever likely to be an issue.

For me, I'm an LG fan and it's an interface the family are familiar with but the Sony is winning so far.

It's a good dilemma to have :cool:

Back
Top Bottom