*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Potential first time user here...

Could someone please enlighten me on the hassle/none hassle required to get the Q2 to work with games from Steam and also, how much of a faff to break away from the Oculus store?

Is there general compatibility across the Oculus line up? Meaning, if it works with RIFT, will it work with Quest?

Thanks.

Also worth adding that some Rift games and Quest games are cross buy on the Oculus store. So you can play it wired with maybe better graphics with the Link cable to PC, and untethered directly on the headset, only buying once. Pistol Whip and Robo Recall are examples. It's a good reason to keep purchases within Oculus rather than Steam when you can.

But as others have said, accessing Steam VR from Oculus is dead easy.

Depending on the experience you are going for and the power of your graphics card, you'll need to set the resolution sliders in the Oculus software. I don't think even a 3080 will run at native 1.7 with 90fps. My 2070S is happy at 1.3 @ 90.

Associate
Thanks, have you tried Population One?

I've not tried pop one unfortunately, don't think it's my kind of game!

Onward hits the notes for me in terms of getting the realism in whereas contractors is there for when I just want to run around killing stuff!

Contractors still has pretty realistic bullet physics though, it gets compared to cod quite a bit but I'd say it's more akin to insurgency in terms of game style if you've played that...it's also cross buy if you have a vr ready pc, onward isn't.

Soldato
Anyone else sometimes struggle to get the sharpest image? Sometimes it looks way blurrier than before. I've been playing with my ipd a lot, I measured it with the iphone app and it's 60.4 but can't find a setting that fits well, I've tried 1, 2, and putting it half way before those. Always tricky because with the default strap it always feels like it's in a different position each time.

Soldato
Anyone else sometimes struggle to get the sharpest image? Sometimes it looks way blurrier than before. I've been playing with my ipd a lot, I measured it with the iphone app and it's 60.4 but can't find a setting that fits well, I've tried 1, 2, and putting it half way before those. Always tricky because with the default strap it always feels like it's in a different position each time.

If you IPD is 60.4 then you use either position 1 or halfway between between 1 and 2.

It's hard to get it in the proper position with the default strap and face pad. I have found it much easier since getting the facial interface from VR Cover.

I have found both X and Y axis affect this. If both are blurry, try raising or lowering the headset, there is a sweet spot to be viewing from which is the center of the lens.

Associate

I'm about 62mm. I leave mine in the middle position. When putting it on, try to focus on some text in the centre of the screen - look down until the dock is central in your view and adjust the headset up and down until that becomes sharper. Then close one eye and see if the other is sharp, and vice versa - adjust the headset left / right until both are sharp. Then lock the rear adjuster and the top strap (assuming you have Elite).

Soldato
Since the you mentioned the Elite strap Zero71, it just reminded me that Oculus are selling those straps again with an extended warranty.

So for anyone who was looking for one, they are back in stock and available right now on the Oculus store.

Will post this in the accessories section too.

Soldato
Thanks for the tips, didn't know you could kind of work the lenses to stay between 1 or 2. Sounds like the elite strap is worth the investment, though apparently they haven't fixed the issue, just given it a 2 year warranty, which seems pointless considering how easily they seem to break.

Soldato
If you IPD is 60.4 then you use either position 1 or halfway between between 1 and 2.

It's hard to get it in the proper position with the default strap and face pad. I have found it much easier since getting the facial interface from VR Cover.

I'm surprised some enterprising 3D printist, hasn't come up with a thin plate that fits inside and flush with the front face of the headset. If it had two lens shaped holes
cut in it, and would be able to hold the lens assemblies apart depending on the IPD. So you order the correct size IPD plate and push it over the two lenses to hold them apart at whatever size you need.

Soldato
I'm surprised some enterprising 3D printist, hasn't come up with a thin plate that fits inside and flush with the front face of the headset. If it had two lens shaped holes
cut in it, and would be able to hold the lens assemblies apart depending on the IPD. So you order the correct size IPD plate and push it over the two lenses to hold them apart at whatever size you need.

Already exists!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4627924

Associate
Thanks for the tips, didn't know you could kind of work the lenses to stay between 1 or 2. Sounds like the elite strap is worth the investment, though apparently they haven't fixed the issue, just given it a 2 year warranty, which seems pointless considering how easily they seem to break.
Elite strap here since day 1 and no issues with heavy use between me and my wife and neighbours now and again. It gets handled normally.

Associate
I'm a bit disappointed at the standard of most VR games. For every Pistol Whip / Beat Saber / Superhot that are just brilliant, there are dozens of just OK experiences. Saints and Sinners, Raw Data or Killing Floor for example - they are OK as VR "experiences", but if they released as regular flat experiences they'd be panned, 2/10 games. I'm pretty bummed that the entirety of that recent Humble Bundle with Saints & Sinners in it is just full of "OK" experiences. Maybe Saints get's better - I've only just done the Blue Mansion, kill the guy in the Attic mission?

I'm kicking myself that I bought Arizona Sunshine & Space Pirate Trainer on Steam rather than Oculus, would have been nice to play them untethered, but they at least are a different enough to be fun. Jury is out on "I expect you to die" and "House of the dying sun". I love hot lapping in AMS2 and AC. Even RF2 works pretty well. Wasn't impressed with Raceroom though, it doesn't seem nearly as well optimised.

What's out there that's of the quality of say Pistol Whip, Superhot, or Alyx (which I'm waiting for the next Steam sale for)?

Is Squadrons worth it when I already own it on Xbox Series X, is its VR performance good enough, and will I throw up in my helmet?

Soldato
I've heard a lot about In death:Unchained, apparently it's pretty awesome and I'll pick it up soon.

It's my favourite Quest game - my Quest 2 might as well be a dedicated In Death: Unchained unit, I'm playing it so much.

The Quest 2 version is a big improvement over the standard Quest version too - smoother framerate and massively increased draw distance.

Soldato
I'm a bit disappointed at the standard of most VR games. For every Pistol Whip / Beat Saber / Superhot that are just brilliant, there are dozens of just OK experiences.

Erm, You can say that about the Console games and PC games too, except for every great PC game there are 100's of crap games.

VR is just over 4 years old. It's still finding it's feet and at the moment developers still have to try and keep a balance between game features/complexity and keeping frame rate high.

Then there is personal preference. Take your example of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. The majority of players rate the game highly. You just didn't like it. And Because the selection of VR games is small to begin with that can make it appear that there isn't many great games.

I don't know how many games you have tried but here is a list of some of the best games out there for VR.

Pavlov
Onward,
Lone Echo,
Echo Arena,
Until you Fall,
Audica,
Eleven Table Tennis,
Skyrim VR,
Elite Dangerous,
Alien Isolation (Mother Mod)
In Death Unchained,
Pixel Ripped,
The Room VR (A Dark Matter)
Population One,
Robo Recall,
Ghost Giant,
Moss,
Budget Cuts
Trover Saves the Universe,
Journey of the Gods,
Five Nights at Freddies,
Gorn,
The Thrill of the Fight,
Creed, Rise to Glory,
BoneWorks,
Vader: Immortal. (really well done but short, wait for sale)

And If you haven't tried the Lab or the Rec Room, then you really should give them a go.

Back
Top Bottom