*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Underboss
Erm, You can say that about the Console games and PC games too, except for every great PC game there are 100's of crap games.

VR is just over 4 years old. It's still finding it's feet and at the moment developers still have to try and keep a balance between game features/complexity and keeping frame rate high.

Then there is personal preference. Take your example of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. The majority of players rate the game highly. You just didn't like it. And Because the selection of VR games is small to begin with that can make it appear that there isn't many great games.

I don't know how many games you have tried but here is a list of some of the best games out there for VR.

Pavlov
Onward,
Lone Echo,
Echo Arena,
Until you Fall,
Audica,
Eleven Table Tennis,
Skyrim VR,
Elite Dangerous,
Alien Isolation (Mother Mod)
In Death Unchained,
Pixel Ripped,
The Room VR (A Dark Matter)
Population One,
Robo Recall,
Ghost Giant,
Moss,
Budget Cuts
Trover Saves the Universe,
Journey of the Gods,
Five Nights at Freddies,
Gorn,
The Thrill of the Fight,
Creed, Rise to Glory,
BoneWorks,
Vader: Immortal. (really well done but short, wait for sale)

And If you haven't tried the Lab or the Rec Room, then you really should give them a go.

how could you forget Half Life Alyx !

Soldato
Is Squadrons worth it when I already own it on Xbox Series X, is its VR performance good enough

Yes, it's amazing. Up there with the best VR games IMO. Definitely a must buy if you have a VR headset and a PC to run it. Decent on Playstation VR as well.

I've not tried pop one unfortunately, don't think it's my kind of game!

Onward hits the notes for me in terms of getting the realism in whereas contractors is there for when I just want to run around killing stuff!

Contractors still has pretty realistic bullet physics though, it gets compared to cod quite a bit but I'd say it's more akin to insurgency in terms of game style if you've played that...it's also cross buy if you have a vr ready pc, onward isn't.

I found that I didn't really enjoy population one either. The gunplay was too arcadey. My current favourite VR team shooter is Firewall Zero hour on Playstation.

Would you say that onward or contractors was more similar to firewall as I'd like to try a VR team team shooter on the quest?

Speaking of shooters I notice that the Rec Royale mode is now playable on Oculus quest 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
VR is just over 4 years old. It's still finding it's feet and at the moment developers still have to try and keep a balance between game features/complexity and keeping frame rate high.
Its not really just over 4 years old is it? More like over 25 years old and been finding its feet for decades. The problem with VR is its fundamentally flawed via the UI restrictions. Those restrictions which I don't believe can be solved any time realistically soon mean only certain types of games excel in VR while others just cannot be made to work or offer a substandard expreince. I love VR and do miss the VR centers which are x10 better then VR at home in some areas. Its just that having been playing on VR units for decades and seeing devs work on it for decades I don't get how you can say its only 4 years old. Its been finding its feet for what feels like forever. In some areas like the screens not being good enough VR has made leaps and bounds.

The core problem is that too many games just do not translate well over to VR which is leading to a lot of poor VR games. Though the ones that do translate over well are really good. Personally I don't think this is solvable and its just a matter of learning which games work and do not work in VR.

Associate
Its not really just over 4 years old is it? More like over 25 years old and been finding its feet for decades. The problem with VR is its fundamentally flawed via the UI restrictions. Those restrictions which I don't believe can be solved any time realistically soon mean only certain types of games excel in VR while others just cannot be made to work or offer a substandard expreince. I love VR and do miss the VR centers which are x10 better then VR at home in some areas. Its just that having been playing on VR units for decades and seeing devs work on it for decades I don't get how you can say its only 4 years old. Its been finding its feet for what feels like forever. In some areas like the screens not being good enough VR has made leaps and bounds.

The core problem is that too many games just do not translate well over to VR which is leading to a lot of poor VR games. Though the ones that do translate over well are really good. Personally I don't think this is solvable and its just a matter of learning which games work and do not work in VR.

Get what you're saying, there has definitely been a more recent concerted attempt to get VR going in the last 4 years though. It's going to take some genius to finally sort out the locomotion problem to make it a) possible and b) affordable before it really kicks off imo.

Soldato
Its not really just over 4 years old is it? More like over 25 years old and been finding its feet for decades.

You know you are been stupidly pedantic? Don't you? List me out all the consumer VR headsets released in the last 20 years?

This is the first time that there consumers headsets are plentiful and readily available with multiple developers working on games and applications. And it continues to grow.

You love VR? Weren't you one of the biggest detractors here on this forum, I think you forecasted that it would be dead in 2 years.

Soldato
Just signed up to Viveport for a trial. Figured it's worth a go over the Christmas break.

First impressions are amazing. Superhot, Arizona Sunshine, Gnomes & Goblins, The Room, L.A. Noire, Paper Beasts, Down the Rabbit Hole, Moss, Synth Riders, Creed. The list goes on. But then you get past the first couple of pages and realise 90% of the library is (potentially questionable) stuff you've never heard of. Suddenly it becomes rather clear why it gets a lot of criticism :p

Still, two weeks should be plenty to tick a bunch of games off my "to play" list. Might need to cough up for a month after that to get through everything. But not bad for £12.99. Definitely won't be paying £97 for the full year though.

Soldato
You know you are been stupidly pedantic? Don't you? List me out all the consumer VR headsets released in the last 20 years?

This is the first time that there consumers headsets are plentiful and readily available with multiple developers working on games and applications. And it continues to grow.

You love VR? Weren't you one of the biggest detractors here on this forum, I think you forecasted that it would be dead in 2 years.
I am not being pedantic you just have tunnel version and are acting like VR is new. The current batch of consumer products are almost 5 years old while the headsets, developers and games go way further back. I remember playing on VR arcades throughout the 90's onwards, I remember being able to buy a VR consumer headset in the 90's. Even the kickstarter headset for the PC that shipped coming up to 8 years ago and had a decent amount of developer and game support. Yes there has been large leaps in the past 5 years but its disingenuous to say VR has only been finding its feat more so when many of us here have owned 4 or 5+ generations of headsets over the years. A lot of devs have being doing hard work for years. We are well passed the stage of calling VR a new market that is finding its feat. We are now in the getting established stage.

When a market is past the 3rd generation, into the milllions of units shipped and has widespread versions along with places like Zero Latency opening in multiple locations its disingenuous to act like its all new and finding its feat. We are well past that stage. If we exclude all the older units in a few months time todays the current wave of consumer headsets will be 5 years old. I have been going to the big VR arenas like Zero Latency for 2 years now.

Don't recall ever saying VR would be dead in 2 years or being a detractor. I have been supporting VR for decades being a fan of VR since the first arcades in the 90's. I followed all the early VR Units from Atari Jaguar to Nintendo. It was just I had more realistic views over your overhyped views which you seem to struggle to cope with. A bit like when you called my posts pure and utter drivel because I preferred delaying playing some games like Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation until they have been out a while over day 1 as waiting often provides a better first play expreince. There is no argument from me that VR is getting better every year. I just think its time you stopped acting like we are back in the first generation of the current wave of VR.

“List me out all the consumer VR headsets released in the last 20 years”
Why would I waste my time looking up and listing the large list of consumer headsets we have had over the past 20years? There are what around a dozen major headsets and 30 or 40+ minor consumer headsets of various types. What point are you trying to make? Its been a running theme with you. For some reason you cannot take anything remotely critical when it comes to VR and you act like we are still in generation 1 and VR is all new. Its been almost 5 years now, longer if you used previous headsets.

Caporegime
Weird issue with mine last night, Oculus Link (OL) doesn't work any more. I tried to plug it in for Squadrons but when I try to enable OL on the headset, it tries to connect but fails and shows me the connection pop up again. Eventually the app will crash.

The PC and Oculus software recognise the headset and the it performs the speed connection test just fine.

Back
Top Bottom