Cost of new banister and spindles

Soldato
We've been quoted over £2.5k+VAT to supply and install a pine banister and spindles to replace our horrible old panelled thing on our staircase. Does that sound reasonable to anyone? It feels steep to me, even with a building company's markup over an indepdent builder.

Man of Honour
We've been quoted over £2.5k+VAT to supply and install a pine banister and spindles to replace our horrible old panelled thing on our staircase. Does that sound reasonable to anyone? It feels steep to me, even with a building company's markup over an indepdent builder.

Hmmm I don't know, unusually steep stairs probably will end up costing more as it'll be a non-standard, custom design.

I'm apologise, I'm aware this isn't GD but I couldn't help myself with that one. I have no idea, but my gut agrees, it does seem "steep" :p

Associate
It's just a regular old Victorian 3 bed terrace with a very normal length banister (I'm too lazy to get off my bum and measure it).
Sounds quite expensive then if that’s the case I’d deffo get a few other quotes. I’m a self employed carpenter I’d always recommend getting a self employed person over a company, the amount they put on top is shocking!! If your worried about self employed person just hold back a cut of the money until the job is finished so your happy, I only ever take money at the end of the working week or at the end of the job once the customer is happy. Some materials are expensive but if they are regular pine spindles then it sounds a little high, if they are twisted design or stuff like that then materials can triple in price

Associate
I have scheduled in to replace the bannister, spindles and base rail in our stairs in January myself. Parts cost is around £200. I am also going to box the newel posts and fit new risers in that price too. I have no idea on quality yet as it’s all basic searching but I was surprised at the prices coming back.

look online and loads of suppliers if the parts you need and can help with getting what you want. I’ve not decided who I am ordering from.

Bannister should be around £40 for basic pine in 3.6m length including fillet and spindles on the most basic start around £1 each.

I’ll be posting pics of mine when I do it.

below is one of the ones I’ve looked at.

https://stairpartsdirect.co.uk/product-category/warkworth/

Your main cost will be labour if not doing it yourself so find out a local carpenters day rate and how long it will take then add in markup, profit etc and you will get to a price.

Last edited:
Associate
I had my bannister and spindles replaced beginning of the yea, the carpenter done pine ones for £580, this is in a 1930's semi with a small landing. It was only going to be £730 for hemlock ones.

Soldato
We had ours done by a joiner for £800 which was a normal 13 step stair case and the landing rail, plus the rail across the width of the stairs on the landing. Used the existing posts and put new caps on them.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I paid £655 to have mine replaced when I had my loft put in. Would have been more likely if it was the sole job and they weren't already doing the banister/hand rail for the new loft stairs. Not anywhere near £3,000 though!!

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone. Confirms my suspicions they are taking the Mickey. They quoted for a few other things which are about 100% over what I’d reasonably expect.

They didn’t give a breakdown of time, day rate or materials but they’re either on solicitors rates or they’d be taking their sweet time on the job.

apg

apg

Associate

Mate, 2.5K for a new banister and spindles.... Do not pay this unless it is some sort of extravagent staircase you have.

Soldato
Yea, I've just had 3.5 oak Newels and 4 + 2 metre oak hand & baserails, with 42 odd pine spindles - materials were £800 from a local timber supplier.
Fitting was by a highly recommended local carpenter - 2x days @ £250 per day
So £1300 all in

Soldato
OP
So bit of an update...

We had a peak under one of the panels and, lo and behold, we found a pretty nice set of spindles underneath! Missing a few parts, and the caps have been chopped in half, but should be a relatively small job to fix it up... followed by days of stripping and painting :rolleyes:

Q5Vbwtpb.jpg

Soldato
So bit of an update...

We had a peak under one of the panels and, lo and behold, we found a pretty nice set of spindles underneath! Missing a few parts, and the caps have been chopped in half, but should be a relatively small job to fix it up... followed by days of stripping and painting :rolleyes:

Q5Vbwtpb.jpg

Good news! The initial quote did seem exceptionally high.

Back
Top Bottom