New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
OP
Love it - you've pretty much done exactly what I'd look to do, bar a set of TE37SL's haha!

I will get one of these at some point but my Toyota dealer keeps nagging me to drive the Yaris GR before committing... Decisions :)

Soldato
Love it - you've pretty much done exactly what I'd look to do, bar a set of TE37SL's haha!

I will get one of these at some point but my Toyota dealer keeps nagging me to drive the Yaris GR before committing... Decisions :)

Get the Yaris :D

It's proper Jap car, more character.

Soldato
Very nice! :) Love it Nath.

Though, might be the picture but thecolour match seems off on the spoiler.

50728606058_cb61dd8bd9_b-jpg.35525

Associate
Could be a while before I can stretch to one of these but I will get one eventually in a nice dark grey or white, can't decide which. What was the rough cost of the turbo and supporting mods At Whifbitz NathWraith? I always used Whifbitz or AFR tuning for my MKIV Supra and they were always good places to deal with.

Soldato
Could be a while before I can stretch to one of these but I will get one eventually in a nice dark grey or white, can't decide which. What was the rough cost of the turbo and supporting mods At Whifbitz NathWraith? I always used Whifbitz or AFR tuning for my MKIV Supra and they were always good places to deal with.

Turbo: £2500
Mapping: £800
Exhaust: £2000
Downpipe: £500
Hardline pipes: £400
Labour: £700

That’s for just the BHP related mods. The turbo is expensive.

Stage 2 (437whp) would cost you around £1500.

Soldato
Not sure anyone would even want the 2.0 now that the GR Yaris is out and a new (more powerful) mk2 gt86 is on the way. Both are far cheaper too.

Soldato
Not sure anyone would even want the 2.0 now that the GR Yaris is out and a new (more powerful) mk2 gt86 is on the way. Both are far cheaper too.

The new 'more powerful' GR86 is still set to be a NA boxer though, with about 230bhp, compared to the turbocharged 2.0 Supra at 255bhp and no doubt with much more remap potential being a turbocharged car.

Can't argue with them being cheaper but I suspect the 2.0 Supra will be popular enough despite that.

Soldato
But the gt86 is much lighter.

45k is way to expensive for that. They should have gone the other way and stuck a Lexus v8 in it, or a 2nd turbo. 175hp/ton for a modern, 45k+ sports car is a bit meh.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the gt86 is much lighter.

This is listed at 1395-1470kg vs the new BRZ being listed 1275-1305 - it's significant but not a massive difference - don't forget, most people aren't as singularly obsessed with low weight as you are.

It's a different car with a slightly different market anyway. It's a higher specification of car for anyone who cares beyond outright performance statistics - the Supra comes with plenty of creature comforts and tech and toys that the GR86 won't. It'll also be more readily improved with simple software - if VWs 230/245bhp 2.0s can map to 300+ easily, i'm sure this engine will too, with a considerable torque advantage too.

Not sure How I feel with the 2.0 version being priced at £45k when compared to the new BMW Z4 2.0 model priced at £38.8k

...which follows into this bit slightly - the 2.0 Supra at £45k, has a few things standard that the cheaper Z4 needs optioned, sometimes as part of expensive packs, such as adaptive suspension. I don't know without trying to make a like for like car but I reckon if you configured a Z4, M Sport trim and tried to add the options the Supra has, it'll be near enough the same price.

Edit - as for £45k being too much, consider that this is meant to be competing with the 2.0 Cayman and 2.0 F-Type, which start at £45k and £56k respectively and it doesn't look quite so mental - despite being down on power on paper by 40bhp, it doesn't look to be much slower than those cars. I'm sure at £45k the Porsche isn't coming with Adaptive Suspension, Sports diff etc. either.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2.0 Supra is a higher end cr than the new 86. This will be apparant in the inteior quality and standard features no doubt.

Theres a £10K delta between the 3.0 & 2.0 which will draw people in. Don't be put off by the standard "its a BMW" crap you see all over facebook. Every person who I've spoken to IRL about the Supra loves how it looks. Give people the same look for less, could work well for them.

Best motoring actually preferred the 2.0 for their "touge" style racing. As it is slightly lighter.

The comprison the the GR Yaris is moot. Yes they have similar power and performance stats but they are aimed at totally different audiences. A Yaris still looks well, Yaris like despite the 3 door shell and big arches. The Supra looks like a proper sports car. (because it is one)

Associate
Excellent looking car and numbers, has anyone run a bigger turbo on an otherwise stock car?

I'm surprised at the size of the discs and the rear callipers being run of the mill cast jobbies in this type/price of car.

Does the Z4 have the same brake setup?

Back
Top Bottom