• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Still can’t decide if I should get a Series S & Expansion or continue to wait for a Series X.
Currently using a One X and I do have a 4K tv but it’s a Billy basic LG one.
I’ve not bought a physical game for 12 months, been to enthralled with Gamepass.
Main games will be the Forza Series, F1 games and Next gen Battlefield if it’s better than the abomination that was BFV.

Personally, I wouldn't.

Great as the S is, it makes no sense at £470 with the expansion drive. You could nab an X off eBay for ~£100 more.

Soldato
The new Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC looks absolutely gorgeous...

uc

Soldato
I've caved and gone with a Series S

I don't play on games very often and i'm certainly not one for nit picking on small texture differences/frame rates. I also only tend to play on 1 / 2 games at a time so storage isn't an issue. I think if both were available i've have spunked for the X but the lack of availability means i can be sensible and make a decent saving. I've decided the only real reason i'm upgrading at all is because of the decreased loading times of the SSD.

By the time i sell my One X it only costs ~£100 and maybe when there's a refresh in a few years i'll pick up the higher model then.

Soldato
I've caved and gone with a Series S

I don't play on games very often and i'm certainly not one for nit picking on small texture differences/frame rates. I also only tend to play on 1 / 2 games at a time so storage isn't an issue. I think if both were available i've have spunked for the X but the lack of availability means i can be sensible and make a decent saving. I've decided the only real reason i'm upgrading at all is because of the decreased loading times of the SSD.

By the time i sell my One X it only costs ~£100 and maybe when there's a refresh in a few years i'll pick up the higher model then.

Just avoid unoptimised games where you have previously seen the One X version as it only leads to disappointment. Series S/X enhanced games look good though, I saw a trailer from Microsoft yesterday saying that the Halo MasterChief Collection is now Series S/X enhanced so might give that a go.

Soldato
Yeah, that's my only worry (along with now no longer having a bluray drive!)

Luckily i don't really re-visit old games so not likely to play many unoptimised games. Most likely the 2 Forza games will be the only ones, however the lack of loading time will more than make up for that!

Soldato
In terms of clipped sound effects and crackles when navigating in and out of applications like Rewards.

The option to turn off sounds has gone from the insider section now, and doesnt show in main settings, so I guess they removed it for whatever reason.

yeah is sound clipping issues, I think thats a hdmi sound signalling problem, my ps4 pro has the same problem on hdmi, but on optical out its fine. On both consoles its only on dashboard not in games. But on the most recent gamma release I started getting sound crackles going in and out of game menu.

Soldato
Personally, I wouldn't.

Great as the S is, it makes no sense at £470 with the expansion drive. You could nab an X off eBay for ~£100 more.

yeah even I agree on that, if someone is buying the official expansion card for the S, then get the X. I said same to someone on gamefaqs last night, by all means buy a cheap spindle or use whatever spare drive you got but it makes no sense to buy the expansion ssd for the S at current prices.

I am using spare hardware for external clip storage (cost is free, even had spare usb 3 cable for it).
WD 2tb passport drive for external games storage, cost was circa £20.

Caporegime
Simpygames emailed me just now saying they have X and S bundles in, so providing you dont mind paying a fair whack for a couple of games and accessories, anyone still looking might get one over there.

Soldato
Simpygames emailed me just now saying they have X and S bundles in, so providing you dont mind paying a fair whack for a couple of games and accessories, anyone still looking might get one over there.

I got the same email. The picture shows an extra controller but it doesn't say anything about it in the description..

Back
Top Bottom