Poll: Say you bought a new car, showed it to a friend and the next day....

how would you feel?

• happy

Votes: 101 37.3%
  • neutral

Votes: 152 56.1%
  • unhappy

Votes: 18 6.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'd be happy for them. Clearly it would make me feel good about my purchase that I picked so well that someone else, with similar interests, wasn't able to resist.

For a lot of people buying a car is one of the bigger purchases they'll ever make so I'd be flattered that someone liked my choice so much they'd be willing to do the same.

Plus cars in my price range are hardly 1 of 10 cars made so if it's not a friend driving the same car it'll only be a stranger anyway

Associate
funny that this thread has come up.........

my inlaws are exactly like this.... we have moved houses on two occasions, both times they also put their house on the market a week after we sold ours. We told them that we were buying a house to "do up"..... which they done the exact same.
other occasions was that my wife was looking at kitchens in Howdens and said she really liked a specific style and color..... only to find out a couple of weeks later the inlaws then ordered it for their house!

other examples are telling them we wanted to goto Budapest for the weekend..... 3 months later they are on a plane there.....

It used to really wind me up and found it very strange, even more strange that they took loans out for everything or maxed our credit cards.... basically a "keeping up with the jones" attitude.

Soldato
Saw this posted this morning and thought it was very odd, nearly half of the MBA grads feeling upset or betrayed if a friend bought the same car! Now the study seemingly let people answer the question in their own words and sought to categorise their responses but meh... looks like OCUK is mostly not bothered and/or happy.
Most MBAs have no frigging concept of the real world out there and think they're important thanks to their MBA, whereas the rest of us have more important things to worry about. Firefighters have a grasp on perspective. MBAs clearly do not. With more and more people doing MBAs that says a lot about the future!

Soldato
Isn't this part of being a good friend?

All our friends (and family) constantly recommend things they are very happy (or warn us away from items they've had bad experiences with)..

I'm not sure what kind of 'friendship' you'd have if there was any negativity about it...

I'd be happy because it would validate the good decision I made in the first place :p
Exactly this.. It's also a sign they trust your decisions, it can save them researching products which is quite hard in a lot of cases unless you are very tech savvy..

Caporegime
I'd be unhappy, I'd expect to have friends who aren't sheep

Problem is most folk are sheep and they have no clue about what is actually happening around them.

There are also folk out there who would actively try and outdo someone if they bought a new car so wouldn't buy the same car but one better.

Like my father in law gets a new Merc and his brother would go out and get the same one but the AMG version. Then if someone asked oh you guys have the same car he would actively correct them saying mines has the AMG kit, etc.

Caporegime
Most MBAs have no frigging concept of the real world out there and think they're important thanks to their MBA, whereas the rest of us have more important things to worry about. Firefighters have a grasp on perspective. MBAs clearly do not. With more and more people doing MBAs that says a lot about the future!
probably a lot of wealthy people doing MBA.

there's a business school uni building near me and seems mostly Chinese students with nice cars. (not being racist, the uni student buildings near it even has adverts written in Chinese on them)

probably annoyed if an english person can afford the same car :D

Man of Honour
I'd be unhappy, I'd expect to have friends who aren't sheep

That would depend on why they bought the same make and model of car. Maybe they'd already been considering it and seeing it in the metal merely confirmed their decision. Maybe your showing it to them included a drive and that swayed them. Maybe they're doing some weird follower/weirdo/stalker thing. Maybe it's a status symbol car and they're demonstrating that their status matches yours. There are some very different possible reasons.

Caporegime
OP

Yeah I can see how say a Harvard or Wharton MBA obtained in the 80s or 90s was super valuable these days they're a bit hit and miss I think.

If someone is already on track for a good career they can perhaps be useful. I used to work with some older guys who were continually bitching about a colleague in our US office and how they couldn't believe how he'd been promoted etc.. he'd not too long beforehand been a regular manager (and before that a developer just like them) but had since become an MD and then a CTO (he'd done an MBA in his spare time). After a merger he got another C level appointment and looking at linked in he's had another C level move and then a further move to become a CEO of a reasonably large (as in worth over a billion) company. I suspect, for him, his MBA was useful For others it's perhaps been a waste of money, I remember one IT/trade support guy in a Canadian bank used to have MBA, CFA in his e-mail signature and you'd just feel sorry for him!

I suspect that a lot of MBA types are very aspirational and perhaps have big egos etc.. and so for them the car is sort of a status symbol, for someone to just get the same type on a whim shortly after is perhaps seen as diminishing it for them or something?

Soldato
I'd high five them and be like "dude I told you it was rad, right?!". Why on earth would anyone get mad that someone bought the same thing as them. Bit weird to go out the next day and get it, but if they were looking for a car and then really liked yours and felt confident that you'd done your research etc and it was a good ride, then why not.

Back
Top Bottom