New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
construction wise - absolutely zero

the difference is that the DGFA default brightness is set lower to conform to EU energy saving regulations and therefore can claim regulatory compliance (It appears the monitor isn't exactly energy efficient when the brightness is ramped up -which you can still do anyway on the DGFA)

Associate
Well mine's finally turned up (only takn 10 weeks and yes it is a DGFA model you'll get even if you had a order for the original model.)

First impressions - I can see why the joystick can easily break , it's flimsy

Immediate impressions

Pros

No dead pixels (yay) and the screen gives the impressive of being really smooth when gaming with no obvious ghosting
Stand itself is absolutely stable and pretty study ( probably beeter than the old monitor and that stand was pretty good also (fully adjustable)

Cons

It could be my setup but the blacks seem worse than my 8 years old PLS screen Samsung

It's hilarious, it's almost like an anti-climax now

Soldato
^that's the only difference I've heard of.. The default brightness is set a bit lower to tick a box. Nothing to stop you dialing it up, but I have one of the original non A versions and found the default brightness too harsh so dialed it down a couple of notches anyway.

Associate
I keep eyeing one of these up as a second monitor for my main pc and/or primary monitor for my second pc, but it seems the panel lottery is pretty bad, delivery time is a best a joke and the price can vary quite a bit.

Tempted to grab one of those Gigabyte M27Q instead. Only 144hz but seems it could be a solid alternative.

Associate
DHL seem to be in cahoots with Dell with regards service.

I should have received my November 13th order yesterday but they didn't deliver and changed it to today.

My delivery time was between 4 and 5pm today and still no sign of my monitor. I can only hope for a perfect(ish) monitor in the end as it hasn't been the best experience even for the £290 price I got.

Associate
DHL seem to be in cahoots with Dell with regards service.

I should have received my November 13th order yesterday but they didn't deliver and changed it to today.

My delivery time was between 4 and 5pm today and still no sign of my monitor. I can only hope for a perfect(ish) monitor in the end as it hasn't been the best experience even for the £290 price I got.

Don't forget to phone Customer services for your 10% discount

Associate
Well it finally got delivered and I have to say it so far appears to be good at least pixel wise.

Just going to test for bleed and backlight but as much as it was a pain dismantling my 1080p ultrawide to give to my son, I think I am going to be happy running this alongside my new Lg gl850

Last edited:
Associate
Had a bit of time with it now - the factory calibration was a bit off - blacks are much better once I've done some set up.

I was surprised at the difference that the higher refresh rate made - picture feels rock solid compared the older 60Hz samsung.

Only weird thing is I can't tell whether the panel is 10 bit , 8 bit or 8 bit + frc - seems I'm getting different reports - Nvidia control panel is reporting 10bit at 165Hz

Associate
@Axil Would you mind sharing what settings you personally changed?.

Im pretty sure its the same as my LG GL850 8bit +2 FRC. Either way I have both my Dell and LG set as 10 bit in Windows.

Soldato
Had a bit of time with it now - the factory calibration was a bit off - blacks are much better once I've done some set up.

I was surprised at the difference that the higher refresh rate made - picture feels rock solid compared the older 60Hz samsung.

Only weird thing is I can't tell whether the panel is 10 bit , 8 bit or 8 bit + frc - seems I'm getting different reports - Nvidia control panel is reporting 10bit at 165Hz

It is 8bit+frc. Which means it has a 10bit palette, but just the extra colours over 8bit are emulated by the panel.

For reference i found after turning saturation down in nvidia panel to 47%, I am now ok with my desktop in gaming 1 mode, and for games, I just use sRGB mode on tv content now. (LG 850)

Even a few % on saturation is quite noticeable.

Associate
@Axil Would you mind sharing what settings you personally changed?.

Im pretty sure its the same as my LG GL850 8bit +2 FRC. Either way I have both my Dell and LG set as 10 bit in Windows.

Essentially all I did was first set up as previously described in a previous post RGB 99%/93%/97% Contrast 83% Brightness 48% and then play a little - my constrast/ brightness is 80 / 42 colours are the same 99/93/97 black stabiliser is 0 and smart HDR is off - I think also the panel may need a little burn in time as my first impressions were straight out of the box. I've also got the RTrating ICM loaded

Associate
Mine arrived on Wednesday, only had the chance to set it up now. So far so good in terms of dead pixels etc, still messing about with it. So will update soon.

EDIT: With a further 10% discount from Dell. So was less than £300 in the end. Also, does anyone any know decent colour settings for this monitor or where i can get a colour profile? Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
yep it's a pain that you have to phone in to remind them about the compensation though - My compo just just came though so mine ended up around 290 in the end.

All in all though I'm happy I did order it (even though it took 10 weeks to arrive) as the display just feels more solid that the old 60hz Samsung. (I wasn't convinced the higher refresh would make that much difference to be noticeable to me but it has)

Associate
Jumped in with a variation on the same panel, having owned quality ips monitors a few years before, I'm disappointed.

BLB & glow not bad at all, but uniformity of colour temperature on white & grey is much worse than expected, I find it distracting when browsing or working. I could play the return panel lottery but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle going by how frequently similar issues seem to be cropping up. I'll wait until someone makes a more consistent fast IPS panel at this size.

I actually find the more consistent effect of viewing angle limitations on TN's preferable to the eye over the more quirky issues that seem to be common on the current gaming ips panels.

Happy for those who are finding good units, certainly performs well in games!

Back
Top Bottom