Camdem council to introduce motorcycle parking charges to reduce emissions and congestion

Man of Honour
https://www.camden.gov.uk/documents...a-eb65-2e0b-1787-7146af88ddc1?t=1606140644956

Someone also posted on reddit r/motouk with a photo of the charges. It seems that in an effort to "reduce emissions and congestion" Camden council are looking to remove free motorcycle bays introduce and charge £5.92 per hour for parking (the same price as cars) with a maximum stay of 2 hours.

In my opinion this isn't about reducing congestion or emissions at all. If it were then people should be encouraged to move from a car to a motorcycle which has a far lower impact on the environment and traffic. This seems to be more about raising revenue for the council. I also don't think it will be long before other councils adopt it, using Camden as an example.

Man of Honour
OP
Don't bikes actually put out more pollutants than cars, though. Hydrocarbons are the main problem.
I must admit I wasn't aware of that until I just checked. The search results I get indicate that some high performance bikes can be higher than cars for some pollutants.

However, I still think that most average commuter bikes are going to emit less pollution over the course of their journey than a car stuck in a traffic jam.

Soldato
@Hades

I remember you were thinking about switching to a bike for commuting a while back. Does this change your plans, or will you still save money, assuming the charges are rolled across London.

Been years since I've been in to Central London, only passed through. What's the situation with motorbikes and mopeds? Delivery riders parking them all over the place?

Man of Honour
OP
@Hades

I remember you were thinking about switching to a bike for commuting a while back. Does this change your plans, or will you still save money, assuming the charges are rolled across London.
I may well commute on the bike once I have a full license and something larger than a 125 (I took everyones advice here that a 125 is not ideal on some of my route). But it won't affect me yet. I work in Canary Wharf, or at least I will again when my company decide the office is open, so not in Camden. It also looks like a couple of years away form being introduced.

Soldato
I believe its about efficiency, you are putting out the same pollution as a car just to transport one person rather than up to 5, although most cars only have one person in them anyway..

Soldato
Bikes do put out something like half the CO2 per engine cc compared to cars, spend far less time sat in traffic chucking out fumes, and can be vastly more fuel-efficient - Some 125s and a couple of larger bikes will easily breach 85mpg, for example... compare that to a Corsa with 11 times the engine capacity!
But cars have lots of DPFs and EGRs and Cats and other gubbins on, which are usually far too big to stick on bikes, which results in more of certain other pollutants being emitted.

Back
Top Bottom