New rig opinions please

Soldato
Going from an i7 3770 and GTX 970, gaming at 1920x1200, no overclocking. Prefer Intel/Nvidia setups to AMD.

- Intel Core i7-10700K Avengers Edition 3.8GHz (Comet Lake) Socket LGA1200 Processor - Retail
- Gigabyte GEFORCE RTX 3070 EAGLE 8GB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD
- Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
- Arctic Freezer i13X CO Intel CPU Cooler - 92mm
- Seasonic Focus PX-650 650W 80+ Platinum Modular Power Supply
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2A2
- Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax Premium Grade Fan - 120mm

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback. I've had some bad experiences with OC in the distant past, so tend to avoid now. 650W is recommended minimum for 3070 + a 125w TDP CPU and that's a decent make/model, so should be ok.

Associate
650 should be fine, you can always undervolt too. The estimated recommend wattages were calculated with pretty high watt CPUs for the 3000 series cards

Associate
What FPS are you going for? I'm guessing you have a very high refresh monitor?

I think you should get a better CPU cooling fan and overclock. You can save money on the hard drive though, get a SATA SSD instead, you can get them for £80 and it's not going to make any difference at all to your gaming. Also do you really need a £20 case fan? And just one? I'd think three £10 fans is probably going to be a better build.

I'd also go for faster 16gb RAM. 16GB is still more than enough, and RAM speeds don't make a huge difference but if you are looking for really high refresh rates, it's where they start to matter.

Soldato
OP
It's not just for gaming, also for video/photo editing. Already have a 1tb SATA SSD and looking forward to the additional speed of an M.2.

Reusing existing case which has mounts for 2x120 fans and replacing some existing Noctua fans which have been fantastic but are probably 6-8 years old. Low noise is really important to me, so worth spending the extra on really good fans (I'm getting two) in my experience.

Agree that maybe faster ram might have been an idea, but if I'm not overclocking then does it being any real tangible benefits?

I've loved all the Arctic coolers I've ever had and would have gone for the 120mm fan version, but my case won't accommodate it. Will try this model and see what the temps are like. Again, with no oc I'm thinking it should be ok.

Monitors aren't anything special, just Dell 1920x1200, just want to make sure I can run things at high/ultra quality with no slowdowns. For most of what I play my gtx970 is still more than enough, but I do want to buy cyberpunk once the bugs are ironed out!

Associate
When you say you are looking for the additional speed of the m.2 drive, I wonder what you are expecting the benefits to be? It will be faster when copying files around the drive, otherwise, it will be the same. Just don’t want you to be disappointed, the sequential read write speeds advertised by manufacturers don’t actually make the drives perform 5x faster etc, the differences are marginal (perhaps it takes 1-2 seconds off a 30 second load time for example).

If you have a standard 60hz 1080p monitor and you are happy with that, a GTX 3070 is probably overkill and the rest looks fine, no need to overclock or increase RAM speed. No games are going to challenge that system at 60fps.

By the way, I personally use silent wings fans, PCU and CPU cooler and they are all ultra quiet so I could recommend all those as premium fan options. But noctua are good too. I still don’t exactly see the logic in getting a cheap CPU cooler fan when that’s the one fan that probably spins the most! But your choice.

Associate
I would get at least a 750w PSU and at least 3200Mhz ram, ram is not expensive.
You can try watching Hardware Scientist's videos on you tube to choose the right fan, you would be surprised to see what an Arctic Cooling 140PWM fan can do

Back
Top Bottom