The Expanse

Soldato
It is implied Amos is Eric’s brother and that the woman who died and he went to see the guy about might have been his mother. Alex visiting the lecture hall then taking the aide out to dinner which was actually a setup is also not in the book. Timeline wise, Amos should be visiting Clarrissa in jail when the asteroids start to fall. The characters interacting with Avasarala and that part of the story don’t relate to events as depicted in the book.

The brother comment was figurative, as they grew up on the streets together, never took it as literal, same as Lydia, she looked out for him, he just saw her as a mother figure. Alex does approach old Mars Navy contacts in the book, just the location has been changed. Amos is about to visit Clarrisa I assume based on his call to Chrissy :D at the end of episode 2. Granted Avasarala stuff isn't in the books but don't believe you have chapters from her perspective in those books so that has to be creative licence.

Agree it's not as tight as in the books but it never was.

Soldato
The brother comment was figurative, as they grew up on the streets together, never took it as literal, same as Lydia, she looked out for him, he just saw her as a mother figure. Alex does approach old Mars Navy contacts in the book, just the location has been changed. Amos is about to visit Clarrisa I assume based on his call to Chrissy :D at the end of episode 2. Granted Avasarala stuff isn't in the books but don't believe you have chapters from her perspective in those books so that has to be creative licence.

Agree it's not as tight as in the books but it never was.
Oh I agree not a show stopper, just there is so much material from the book to get through it kind of throws a WTF curved ball when the sequence plays!

Soldato
Oh I agree not a show stopper, just there is so much material from the book to get through it kind of throws a WTF curved ball when the sequence plays!

Lets address the most important point, all the great stories from book 7 onwards are unlikely to ever be on screen :(

One thing I will say is that the visions of Baltimore are extremely close to what I envisioned when reading the book.

Soldato
I watched the first couple episodes last night and it's good to have it back on. It's still one of my favourite things on at the moment.

On the flipside, could also be a lot worse than I remember :D

It did stop abruptly, got cancelled just as things were really getting going.

I'd be reluctant to rewatch it now as it is probably trash and I'm looking back on it with rose tinted glasses!

Soldato
Lets address the most important point, all the great stories from book 7 onwards are unlikely to ever be on screen :(

One thing I will say is that the visions of Baltimore are extremely close to what I envisioned when reading the book.

I got the distinct impression though
the scenes in the academy and the bar were pre-empting Admiral Duerte and the events leading up to the Laconian invasion of Book 7, long before these are even hinted at in the fifth book. Drummer also continues to be used out of context, been a while since I read Book 5 but wasn't she on Medina the whole time? Then again the entire Ashford side story from Season 4 was fabricated for the screen and not present in the book.

Sorry if I'm nit-picking.

Soldato
I wouldn't call it nit-picking, it's probably more wishful thinking. Was it you in the book thread who had powered through these in the last 6 months or so? If so, I think with them being so fresh in your mind, you've probably got a more robust vision of what you want on screen.

Soldato
Maybe I need to rewatch but at the time it was quite a standout show and seemed to take risks while other sci fi was quite pedestrian. That said, i've not seen it since it's original run mid 90's.
I never saw SAAB until someone lent me a box set some time around 2015...
It started off as a janky pile of low-budget cack, full of cheesy lines, bad acting and contrived scripting, layered atop laughable CGI... then, without warning, it suddenly became ******* fantastic. Everything seemed to just fall into place, right around the episode Stay With The Dead, I think.

Soldato
It started off as a janky pile of low-budget cack, full of cheesy lines, bad acting and contrived scripting, layered atop laughable CGI... then, without warning, it suddenly became ******* fantastic. Everything seemed to just fall into place, right around the episode Stay With The Dead, I think.

"The Angriest Angel" is one of my favourite Sci-Fi episodes ever. I realise it hasn't really withstood the test of time, but I would have loved to see the story conclude.

Soldato
I wouldn't call it nit-picking, it's probably more wishful thinking. Was it you in the book thread who had powered through these in the last 6 months or so? If so, I think with them being so fresh in your mind, you've probably got a more robust vision of what you want on screen.
Not me, no but I have read books 5 and 6 fairly recently and currently about 30% through Book 7.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Good start to the season, seems to have a bit more urgency that than season 4, bit disappointed they split up the crew for these episodes though hope they are back together soon.

Associate

just to add episode 1 and 2 "Pilot Episode" has a FPS of "23.98" where every episode afterward has fps of "29.97", because of this low fps of "23.98" is why you getting frame lagging / juddering in various scene in that episode. it a bit of slow burn but then kick into high gear. truly a shame it was cancelled.

Soldato
I got the distinct impression though
the scenes in the academy and the bar were pre-empting Admiral Duerte and the events leading up to the Laconian invasion of Book 7, long before these are even hinted at in the fifth book. Drummer also continues to be used out of context, been a while since I read Book 5 but wasn't she on Medina the whole time? Then again the entire Ashford side story from Season 4 was fabricated for the screen and not present in the book.

Sorry if I'm nit-picking.
She's filling in for another character, Michio Pa. I expect she'll be back on Medina after the Free Navy arc.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Fixed that for you...he's a marvellously complex character and not as two dimensional as first appears.

This is what I love about this show. You have the obvious cookie-cutter characters on the face of it but it goes much deeper and is slowly unravelling them nicely.

Except Bobbie, I just can't gel with the character/actress, her story feels a bit juvenile in comparison.

Associate
This is what I love about this show. You have the obvious cookie-cutter characters on the face of it but it goes much deeper and is slowly unravelling them nicely.

Except Bobbie, I just can't gel with the character/actress, her story feels a bit juvenile in comparison.
I don't know if it is the character as she's written or if it is the actress, but Naomi (purely on screen) doesn't sit quite right amongst the rest of the cast for me. It wasn't so bad at first, but as the show has progressed the character stands out more and more as being out of place. Perhaps its the high quality of the other characters / acting that is doing it.
Just my opinion.

Associate
I don't know if it is the character as she's written or if it is the actress, but Naomi (purely on screen) doesn't sit quite right amongst the rest of the cast for me. It wasn't so bad at first, but as the show has progressed the character stands out more and more as being out of place. Perhaps its the high quality of the other characters / acting that is doing it.
Just my opinion.

I don't mind Naomi so much (though I wish she were taller, short for a belter ;)). The one that bugs me is Steven Strait as Holden, he's like a charisma-free zone. And I'm pretty sure that Alex is supposed to have thinning hair :D.

Soldato
Naomi, pig ugly and a crap actress - she just grinds the episode to a halt whenever she's on screen.

Bobbie - she's been carrying out work for what looks like quite some time, within one day of Alex been there her work has been discovered. Also:

• Why did they let the 2 hotel room muggers live? They will now report Bobbie and who she is working for to the bad guys.

• She has a fricking huge armoury of illegal weapons - where is she keeping this stuff? Are we going to see it stolen? Bit reckless.

Back
Top Bottom