Unable to game online with USB tethered 4G

Man of Honour
Also, is latency and jittering getting in the way when gaming?

I'm using Virgin Mobile who use EE - via a 4G router. Gaming is a mixed bag generally I get low enough latency and jitter it is OK but sometimes at busier times of day or if weather or other conditions just aren't right my ping times will increase to around 70ms with jitter increasing quite a bit and the effect on gaming is noticeable. It will also vary hugely place to place depending on signal quality and contention from other users in some places it will be totally unsuitable for gaming with sporadic half second pauses or even frequent drop outs.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the info, that's what I would expect as well. I wonder if 5G is going to be similar or a little bit more stable. I'm lucky enough to live just near one of the first beta 5G spots in my city. A friend of mine got 900+ Mbps speeds at the street level, latency wasn't bad either. If connection proves to be reasonable stable and I can expose ports (at least over IPv6) I may seriously consider migrating to it.

5G CPE Pro is going for an eye-watering £399 though :(.

I don't think 5G or 4G are much different when it comes to gaming on average - the best case scenario might improve a bit but the average experience will probably be similar.

Soldato
Resurrecting this as I found the thread after having trouble getting Steam to open on my iMac on EE 4G.

The ADSL at home tops out at 15mb/1mb due to where we live so I thought I would see if 4G/5G would be any better.

EE manages to connect at around 45mb/20mb but Steam and League of Legends won’t open properly and say “no network connection found”. I assume they’re running some sort of network restrictions?

Man of Honour
Resurrecting this as I found the thread after having trouble getting Steam to open on my iMac on EE 4G.

The ADSL at home tops out at 15mb/1mb due to where we live so I thought I would see if 4G/5G would be any better.

EE manages to connect at around 45mb/20mb but Steam and League of Legends won’t open properly and say “no network connection found”. I assume they’re running some sort of network restrictions?

I'll check our EE connection when I'm back from work but Steam runs fine for me on Virgin Mobile using EE as the backhaul.

Soldato
Thanks.

I've updated the IP type to IPv4 only instead of IPv4 & IPv6 and everything instantly works. I didn't have to do this with th Three SIM I tried earlier in the week though. Is that something EE specific or mobile carrier?

Man of Honour
Steam working fine on our EE connection - I have IPv6 disabled though and can't easily enable it to test without upsetting other stuff at the moment.

IIRC Three use a different setup to the carrier grade NAT that EE and many other providers use on their mobile internet.

Man of Honour
Ping is a lot better, 4G averages about 40-80
5G is under 30.

I've not really seen that so far - 5G might be a little more consistent off peak but both have low latency off peak and both varied latency during busier times of day.

My 4G connections here manage sub 30 - just about - at quiet times.

Soldato
Thanks.

I've updated the IP type to IPv4 only instead of IPv4 & IPv6 and everything instantly works. I didn't have to do this with th Three SIM I tried earlier in the week though. Is that something EE specific or mobile carrier?

Steam (and a couple of other things) are a bit iffy when I tether via my EE 4G phone (worked fine with previous three sim), just going in and changing the APN to a different one and back again is usually enough to get it to connect. Feels like its ipv6 related though.

Soldato
Tried gaming last night and my ping seemed to jump between 70-150ms without any thing else on the network. I’m hoping the 5G antenna that is coming tomorrow will mean I can pickup 5G as it doesn’t look like 4G will be the solution for where I am.

The download speeds were great but very inconsistent. They were dropping from 45mb to 5mb then back up 25mb when downloading a large file.

Back
Top Bottom