• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080ti

Soldato
Paper launch at the end of Feb with availability in May. A bad idea to wait as the Super refresh and Hopper are less than a year away.
Based on this new launch date, those who paid for the 3090 got their money’s worth.

Got their moneys worth how?

Anyone who bought a 3090 was likely to have been so flash with cash they probably owned a 2080ti.

So since their upgrade they have basically had the joy of playing Control and Cyberpunk a bit better than their previous card. Neither game exactly setting the world on fire.

All for the nice price of £1600 lol.

Soldato
As others have said, the 3080Ti is pointless and will be nothing more than a marketing exercise.

In terms of raw grunt, even if it's identical to a 3090 in terms of cores, that's still only 5-10% faster than a 3080, just like the 3090.

The only real thing it'll gain over a 3080 is the 20GB memory doubling yet all the reviews have demonstrated that 10GB is fine, even for 4K and not holding the 3080 back at all. You could argue 20GB is more future proof but there'll be new a new gen of cards by then anyway. As any 2080Ti owner about future proofing ;)

It's just a marketing exercise to respond to the 16GB of the AMD cards.

Soldato
I mean, that's a pretty huge assumption, that everyone who owns a 3090 upgraded from a 2080ti.

Also, these cards are used for more then just gaming, you know?

Nah I think its a fair assumption. £1600 gpus are mostly bought byvpeople who always have to own the best. They don't go to those who have been keeping gpus for years.

And yes.. They do appeal to people who use gpus for professional use so them users (albeit small) will have had some more benefit.

Soldato
Nah I think its a fair assumption. £1600 gpus are mostly bought byvpeople who always have to own the best. They don't go to those who have been keeping gpus for years.

And yes.. They do appeal to people who use gpus for professional use so them users (albeit small) will have had some more benefit.

Lets not forget how good these cards are for mining - which is probably a major factor for the shortage of cards. It's not just gamers that only want them. These cards from a miners point of view due to their compute power, may pay for themselves very quickly.

Associate

I upgraded from a 1080ti - I think there are a lot of people who skipped turing and just got sick of waiting both for the 3080 and the 3080ti (me included). Plus I plan to sit on the GPU for a good few years as I run an index and 1440p UW so it should munch through that until the generation after hopper comes out.

Soldato
There will be a 3080Ti, there has to be. nVidia do not care about their customers, they know people will buy it, it’s a cash cow and they know this. All they will do is bide their time and then drip feed the next step up card.

Soldato
every time I see "ti" i just see it stands for "terrible investment"

The 1080ti was an incredible card. Great value for money and had a fantastic resale value. I sold mine when the 2080ti came out for £200 less than I bought it for after 18 months of enjoyment. The 2080ti I will agree wasn't a great investment but if you want the fastest GPU you are are going to buy it. They are still fetching great money second hand.

Soldato
I upgraded from a 1080ti - I think there are a lot of people who skipped turing and just got sick of waiting both for the 3080 and the 3080ti (me included). Plus I plan to sit on the GPU for a good few years as I run an index and 1440p UW so it should munch through that until the generation after hopper comes out.

Pretty much what I did, moved from 1080Ti to 3090 and performance increase is significant, more so at 4k its being used on.

So, you either go with the 3080Ti that performance like a 3090 for 999, or go with a 3090 that performance like a 3080Ti for 1300+?

yes, hardly unexpected though, happened before and will happen again. Get the very high end out first for serious price jump, then shave it down a notch once sales slow and cut the price tag to make it more palatable and easier to sell.

Associate
Got their moneys worth how?

Anyone who bought a 3090 was likely to have been so flash with cash they probably owned a 2080ti.

So since their upgrade they have basically had the joy of playing Control and Cyberpunk a bit better than their previous card. Neither game exactly setting the world on fire.

All for the nice price of £1600 lol.
Whatever they spent on it, they at least got a years worth of gaming out of it. The 3080 Ti will be superseded by 4080 under a year.

Associate
As many supplies are ‘selling’ the 3080’s for just under £900 for the top end cards, I cannot see the 3080ti been £999, I expect to see them more at the 2080ti prices, perhaps even more.

Associate

I bought a 3090 and I never had a 2080ti.

Associate
As others have said. Launch in February, people might actually see cards in the following Summer... Can't see the launch of that being any different from the 3080/3090. Then I really would just wait for the 4000 series haha...

Yup waiting for the 3080ti, but you know there is zero rush now I have a 3070.
I probably look at it in 6 months / the summer when stock and prices have hopefully stabilised.
Would rather not get involved in anymore NVIDIA launches chasing zero stock if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom