PC won't post after 3080 installation

Soldato
So got my new 3080 today, and so in preparation I decided to clean the pc out, reseat the CPU cooler as it was upside down (AIO jobby with a logo) and put the new card in.
PC boots up, gets into windows and I notice my mouse is lit up but not working, and the keybaord is not lit up at all. The PC is frozen so I hold down the power button and try to reboot, except it won't. All the fans come on, the RGB comes on, but it doesn't post.

The diagnostic lights on the motherboard are lit up showing a DRAM issue so I take out a stick and it posts, woo! I get into Windows and it BSODs....I run startup repair and it gets into Windows and works fine. I reboot a few times and all good. I then try with another RAM stick and it won't post again. It now won't post with either stick in any slot, and I've reset the CMOS etc.

Do we think something's been fried, either the motherboard or the RAM, or could it be the PSU?

Any ideas welcome before I have to spend £££ replacing bits and hoping!

Thanks

Soldato
Take the RAM out and seat it again, make sure its in firmly.

IT sounds like something came loose when you took everything apart to dust it etc, make sure all cables are firmly seated.

If that doesnt work build the PC out of the case.

Soldato
Just built it out of the case, same problem, won't boot with any RAM in any slot and just shows an orange DRAM error light.
What GPU did you have in before? It could possibly be that the PSU was struggling and putting the 3080 pushed it over the edge and finished the job. Think testing with a new PSU would be the first diagnostic check if you have to test individual components. The only thing that sounds different is if you bent a pin on the CPU but without taking it out of the socket that'd be very hard to do if impossible.

Soldato
OP
I had a 1070 before. Managed to get into the bios and update it, can boot on 1 stick or 2 sticks in slots 1 and 2, however if I try and dual channel it then it refuses to post. I've just tried a mates PSU and same issue so seems it isn't the psu at fault.
I've reseated the cpu again as well!

Soldato
Try blowing out the ram and PCIex16 slots with some compressed air incase some dust or debris has fallen in there, same for the CPU socket if you removed the CPU.

Associate
Could it be a mounting issue?
Literally read a reddit post about someones PC doing this kind of thing a few days ago and it was uneven mounting pressure making CPU have poor contact.

Back
Top Bottom