Fraudulent claim of whiplash

Soldato
You can go to work and move seemingly fine while still suffering long term pain and discomfort.

But still earning a wage which means compensation isn't required. It isn't a payment just for being injured.

If they need money to pay for treatment etc then it should go directly to the one providing it.

Soldato
I got hit pretty hard from behind a few months ago, and neither me nor my wife suffered any whiplash whatsoever. Further reinforced my opinion that people who claim it for tiny bumps are scammers.

Associate
its all a game to the insurance wife was backing slowly out of a parking space at the doctors ,car comes in the wrong entrance of the park and the wife just scraped his front bumper just a gentle rub. tow bar had a rubber cover and ther was a slight mark on it sent the picture to the insurance. 12 months later find out they paid out for whiplash (yeah) and i would guess a full respray (white ) total with whiplash was nearly 6k. spoke to insurance and there comment was its normal grrrrr.

Soldato
I sure hope none of the whiplash claiming snow flakes visit a theme park or go on a bumper car ride, just imagine the pain being inflected :p

Caporegime
Had the exact same thing about 3 years ago. I pulled out of a junction as a woman who was parked and with no indicators on pulled out of a parking space. The cars contacted gently sideways on. Dent to her door, scrape to my wing.
2 months later she's claiming 5k in whiplash and lost earnings.
I explained to my insurance company how it was impossible and they just weren't interested.

Associate
About 8yrs ago was in a works van in traffic, stationary even, car behind bangs the rear bumper. We didn't even notice, just heard a bit of thud, saw a guy get out his car behind as we were wondering what the noise was. I got out and he was all apologetic, turns out his foot slipped on clutch. I didn't care, quickly exchanged details, i think we discussed about cash at some point also.

Few weeks later i think, lady rings me asking about it. Yeah i'm fine etc, no i don't want to claim for whiplash as it'll effect their insurance and nothing happened. I remember her replies being along the lines of it won't affect their insurance and i should claim, i remember raising my voice and hung up.

When some people get a smell of a bit of cash...

But if i had a huge smack up the rear on a motoway or something i might behave different if i felt the person crashing into me hadn't made a normal accident/ fair lack of judgement, like the poor guy above in my post.

Soldato
I clipped a bus that was turning right due to road works. It wasn't a suitable place for the bus to turn but still my mistake. It was a glancing blow to the rear of the bus, I did not come to a stop.
I was informed by the bus drivers insurance company that the driver was claiming whiplash, I said that was impossible as the bus was stationary as I hit it and after I had hit it. Whiplash is caused buy rapid acceleration or deceleration.
The bus was around 10x the weight of my car.
I phoned my insurance to say that it was impossible that the driver had suffered whiplash as neither vehicle had come to a sudden stop or moved at all in his case. I was met with a rather snotty attitude, asking for my qualifications in the matter however it must have been investigated as the case was dropped. Only damage to the vehicle was claimed by the 3rd party (bus).
The bus however was equipped with cameras.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whiplash thing is open to abuse as there's no certain way on the medical side for doctors to invalidate it. It's pretty upsetting reading some of the examples in here of blatant insurance fraud.

One would have thought insurers would be lobbying the Government to change the law on this. I'm sure I read something last year that it was being clamped down on?

Caporegime
But still earning a wage which means compensation isn't required. It isn't a payment just for being injured.

If they need money to pay for treatment etc then it should go directly to the one providing it.

It's at least partially a payment for "just being injured" as one of the heads of claim will be pain and suffering.

Soldato
Let it go OP. It will put their insurance up going forward as they now have to declare for at least the next 5 years that they were injured and the insurers who are quoting can see the circumstances and will load their insurance accordingly.

Soldato
The whiplash thing is open to abuse as there's no certain way on the medical side for doctors to invalidate it. It's pretty upsetting reading some of the examples in here of blatant insurance fraud.

One would have thought insurers would be lobbying the Government to change the law on this. I'm sure I read something last year that it was being clamped down on?

In April 2020 there was supposed to be a law change which forces whiplash claims under £5000 into the small claims court (previously the limit for SCC was £1k)

There's also the need now to submit medical evidence of which the claimant has to pay for (£180) prior to the claim.

Claimants will also be liable for their own legal costs.

However this has been delayed.

Soldato
I can only echo what others have said, let it go and move on. It'll likely have minimal impact (if any) on future insurance premiums.

Earlier this year my partner was on his way to work and joined the back of standstill traffic in the 3rd lane of the M1. It was early morning and you can see it was quite foggy. The young driver behind him clearly wasn't paying much attention and didn't notice traffic ahead had stopped, my partner even remembers putting his hazards on to indicate the slow traffic ahead. The driver behind tried to swerve into the central reservation at the last minute but ended up ploughing into the back of the car at 50+mph resulting in the following damage:

He did have a sore back that day however he was back in work later that day. No whiplash claim was ever made, nor were the insurers at the time pushing for it. What my partner was more upset by was the abuse people were shouting out their windows at him and the young driver behind. Completely unacceptable! I was more upset at the fact we had just spent £450 on the car 4 days prior having the front tyres changed and a full service!

Last edited:
Associate
had a close friend had similar had a lorry total the back of his car at a zebra crossing he never even thought of claiming for whiplash etc,years after he was still seeing consultants at hospital with back and neck problems...

Associate

Agreed. I hate the dishonesty and I hate even more that everyone else has to pay for it via higher premiums.

Back
Top Bottom