Lock sticking

Soldato
Front door, lever style lock, cylinder barrel.
The style of door you pull the handle up to active the levers before locking.
It is sticking at a biting point, which isn't related to the cylinder.
I replaced the cylinder thinking the keys were sticking, but it seems to be the actual lever mechanism.

How can i go about sorting this, one had to push slightly against the door and strain up quite hard on the handle to engage the levers sufficiently for the cylinder to turn freely.

Is there some way to adjust or lubricate the cylinder system.

Soldato
some of this - bottle blows it in via key-hole

(exactly if you look at the residue wd40 leaves and think of that coating the lock pins etc. god help you)

as a pre-emptive lube - this works wonders for ignition barrel too( if keys are a bit worn )... yale locks, padlocks ....
Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder £3.54

Caporegime
is it pvc? they always seem to warp over time or bend whatever.

you can probably realign it, have a google or post pics of the hinges and other mechanisms

Soldato
I replaced the cylinder thinking the keys were sticking, but it seems to be the actual lever mechanism.

How can i go about sorting this, one had to push slightly against the door and strain up quite hard on the handle to engage the levers sufficiently for the cylinder to turn freely.

There is often some adjustment in the frame where the bolts go from the door into the frame. Mine has some small screws to adjust the capture plates in and out. This would work if the problem is the locking bolts not being positioned correctly into the frame.

The alternative is that the mechanism is old and grubby. When I had this issue where the locking mechanism was sticking badly, I found lubrication holes in the top and side of the door locking mechanism. I sprayed WD40 penetrating fluid (put some newspaper under the door to catch the drips) and that seemed to clean up the lock innards which made it operate smoothly and cleanly.

Soldato
I had a similar problem and it was the latch mechanism (multipoint gearbox) As you lifted the handle, part of the mechanism was giving way which meant it didn’t throw the locking bars as well. It eventually completely failed and could’ve locked the door solid. I bought a replacement gearbox for about £50.

Soldato

Check it with the door open, if it's fine then it's likely the door needs adjustment, this can be done with the hinges and the keeps on the frame. It could be the latches are catching the edge of one of the keeps when trying to engage.

If it's still playing up with the door open it is your mech. These are easy to strip out and can be either repaired or replaced.

Back
Top Bottom