*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Weird issue with mine last night, Oculus Link (OL) doesn't work any more. I tried to plug it in for Squadrons but when I try to enable OL on the headset, it tries to connect but fails and shows me the connection pop up again. Eventually the app will crash.

The PC and Oculus software recognise the headset and the it performs the speed connection test just fine.

What cable?

Soldato
Weird issue with mine last night, Oculus Link (OL) doesn't work any more. I tried to plug it in for Squadrons but when I try to enable OL on the headset, it tries to connect but fails and shows me the connection pop up again. Eventually the app will crash.

The PC and Oculus software recognise the headset and the it performs the speed connection test just fine.
@doodah
I had exactly this... I ended up taking the headset back and got a replacement...... which had the same issue. The problem started after the most recent oculus update.
I got it working by turning off the public beta channel and downloading/installing the 10 updates. It still won't work, but then if you turn on the public beta channel again and install the 10 new updates, it will work. .... until you reboot the machine and you have to go through the whole rigmarole again.
I installed the oculus software on another OS on the same machine and it worked without issue. So it may just be a windows 10 setting problem.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34313996/

Last edited:
Associate
Has anybody tried to order from Oculus recently, I'm trying to order an Elite Headstrap but keep getting the payment failed message having tried my credit card through paypal, entering my credit card directly and finally my bank account through paypal.

Buying games with the same card works fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, it's amazing. Up there with the best VR games IMO. Definitely a must buy if you have a

Would you say that onward or contractors was more similar to firewall as I'd like to try a VR team team shooter on the quest?

Speaking of shooters I notice that the Rec Royale mode is now playable on Oculus quest 2.

Tough one, from that video I'd say its steering more towards Onwards but its a close call!

If you want fast paced cqb then I'd suggest Contractors whereas there is only one mode in Onward with respawns available (not counting gunmode) so the games can end up a bit more tactical and there's a few larger maps on there too.

Soldato

I raised a support ticket with Oculus for the same issue. If you also want to raise a ticket, it'll be handy to have the diagnostic data to hand. You can generate it from here

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer just select Collect last: 1 day and tick full logs.

Caporegime
@doodah
I had exactly this... I ended up taking the headset back and got a replacement...... which had the same issue. The problem started after the most recent oculus update.
I got it working by turning off the public beta channel and downloading/installing the 10 updates. It still won't work, but then if you turn on the public beta channel again and install the 10 new updates, it will work. .... until you reboot the machine and you have to go through the whole rigmarole again.
I installed the oculus software on another OS on the same machine and it worked without issue. So it may just be a windows 10 setting problem.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34313996/
I raised a support ticket with Oculus for the same issue. If you also want to raise a ticket, it'll be handy to have the diagnostic data to hand. You can generate it from here

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer just select Collect last: 1 day and tick full logs.
Thanks, the switching on/off for the Public Beta option didn't seem to work for me. Rolling back my AMD GFX drivers to 20.9.1 (think I was on 20.11.2 up until a few days ago when I updated to 20.12.1) and updating the AMD Chipset drivers seemed to succeed.

Soldato
More pedantic nonsense.

Blah, blah. Is there a history behind VR getting to where it is today? Yes, of course there is. But, it's like Ray Tracing, It has been around for ages but it's only in the last few years that technology has advanced enough to make it worthwhile using for gaming.

2016 was the year that VR headsets became viable gaming platforms. It started then. And 4/5 years is nothing. Gaming/App developers are still finding their feet.

Nothing you said changes anything I said. Game/App developers and Headset manufacturers are still trying to find a balance between new features, improving visuals and keeping framerate high enough so that the users get a better VR experience. And games are coming. They are getting better and better, Half Life ALyx and Beat Saber for example.

As for any previous "discussion" with you. Your confusing defending VR with arguing against the (stupid)things that you post. For instance, you began to sound like a Zero Latency Sales Rep on one thread, and you couldn't accept anybody saying that they enjoyed VR at home over going to a place like Zero Latency. Here is the thread, if anyone wants to make up their own minds.

On the fence over a Rift... | Overclockers UK Forums

Soldato
“As for any previous "discussion" with you. Your confusing defending VR with arguing against the (stupid)things that you post. For instance, you began to sound like a Zero Latency Sales Rep on one thread, and you couldn't accept anybody saying that they enjoyed VR at home over going to a place like Zero Latency. Here is the thread, if anyone wants to make up their own minds.”
Glad you posted that as its backups what I have been saying. All you have done is show how foolish you are being yet again. Just like that other thread you are still constantly overreacting and being silly. Though I have come to expect pure fanboyism from you.

You know the reason I brought up Zero Latency in that thread was because it was at that time a brand-new VR center in the same city that guy who started the thread lived in. He was on the fence over the Rift so I said go to the new VR center to try before buying as he lives nearby in the same city. But that it stupid according to you. Given that he lives in Nottingham I thought trying before buying was a sensible choice.

Or the bit where I said the Rift was great when it came out, but around 3 years into the Rifts life it’s not worth getting anymore as its outdated and its better to get the newer headsets with better resolution which I backed up with evidence. But that is nonsense according to you.

The thing is the bits you call stupid, BS, nonsense, drival are just you being foolish and you making yet more mistakes. So keep writing Blah, Blah as much as you like. The truth is there for everyone to read and see.

"and you couldn't accept anybody saying that they enjoyed VR at home over going to a place like Zero Latency."
That is not true, yet another mistake on the long list of mistakes you have made. The best place to enjoy VR games depends on the style of game you are playing. Some shooter style games tend to be better at places like Zero Latency. Cockpit style games are better at home as two examples. So I can fully accept home VR. Its just for some types of VR games the expreince and better immersion at VR centers cannot be recreated at home. Others like Elite style games at home all the way and I do like Cockpit style VR games or SIM VR games if you prefer that name.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do I need to connect my quest 2 to my PC, for example if I wanted to play Alyx? Do I need to buy the virtual desktop thing from oculus store? I have a cable but also my router is next to my PC and 5ghz so I can do it wireless too right?

Soldato
What do I need to connect my quest 2 to my PC, for example if I wanted to play Alyx? Do I need to buy the virtual desktop thing from oculus store? I have a cable but also my router is next to my PC and 5ghz so I can do it wireless too right?

Split your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Easiest way to do it is use your current SSID and password for the 2.4GHz one, as that way you won't have to log back in to WiFi on every device in the house. Use the 5GHz network for Quest only. And switch it to an empty channel. Also, make sure your PC is connected to the router via ethernet.

Then buy VD. See how it runs. If it performs well, you're sorted. If it doesn't, you can refund as long as you haven't used the app for more than two hours. So there's a decent amount of time for troubleshooting. If you get close to the 2h mark and it still isn't running well, refund and just use a cable.

VD is cheaper than a decent cable. And the wire-free experience is just... better for most games. Might be worth nabbing a cable as well if you play a lot of seated games, as Link does offer higher quality and lower lag. It's just not "better enough" to offset the upside of not tripping over a cable.

Soldato
Split your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Easiest way to do it is use your current SSID and password for the 2.4GHz one, as that way you won't have to log back in to WiFi on every device in the house. Use the 5GHz network for Quest only. And switch it to an empty channel. Also, make sure your PC is connected to the router via ethernet.

Then buy VD. See how it runs. If it performs well, you're sorted. If it doesn't, you can refund as long as you haven't used the app for more than two hours. So there's a decent amount of time for troubleshooting. If you get close to the 2h mark and it still isn't running well, refund and just use a cable.

VD is cheaper than a decent cable. And the wire-free experience is just... better for most games. Might be worth nabbing a cable as well if you play a lot of seated games, as Link does offer higher quality and lower lag. It's just not "better enough" to offset the upside of not tripping over a cable.

Awesome will try that, thanks!

Soldato
LOL this is from the guy that keeps getting his posts deleted by mods. Ask anyone else who has "discussions" with you. Like Uncle Petey, Andy Bird, Ravenger etc the list goes on.

And aren't you banned from the graphics cards forum? How is the PowerVR crusade going for you?

Anyway, you aren't worth a minute more of my time.
Then put me on ignore so I can get back to trying to help people instead of responding to all your mistakes and terrible advice.

Never had a ban yet another thing you got wrong. Just like I never said VR will die in 2 years and all the other rubbish you say. What has a PowerVR got to do with anything in this thread? No idea why you need to know but as you asked. PowerVR worked out amazing for me. I correctly predicted smartphones, IoT devices along with Ray Tracing and made a lot of money of them.

What do you mean keep getting my posts deleted? I think it’s something like less then 0.001% of my posts have been deleted and those have mostly been deleted because of who I quoted not because I wrote anything wrong.

"Ask anyone else who has "discussions" with you. Like Uncle Petey, Andy Bird, Ravenger etc the list goes on."
You mean Uncle Petey who was the reason all the posts got deleted and Andy Bird who got all confused and thought I had a time machine. No wonder you prefer to hang around with them, that explains everything. As for Ravenger we get on just fine.

Anyway I don't want to derail this thread and you clearly don't want to respond over you mistakes and bad advice so please put me on ignore. Despite what you say I support VR and think the new units like the Quest 2 are a large step in the right direction. So I will keep recommending people use newer headsets and skipping old Rifts along with trying before buying despite you calling that silly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then put me on ignore so I can get back to trying to help people instead of responding to all your mistakes and terrible advice.

So I will keep recommending people use newer headsets and skipping old Rifts along with trying before buying despite you calling that silly.

When have you helped anyone? All Your basic advice for ages was don't buy a headset now. Go to Zero Latency instead or wait for better headsets. When have you actually helped anyone on this section of the forum?

As for my terrible advice, point some of that terrible advice out to me? I have always recommended newer headsets over older ones I have always advised people to try before they buy. Even in that thread I posted. Here is my very first line in my very first post.

Take up the kind offer by @FlukeRogi and go try it on and see if you like it..

But if people wanted advice or info on a specific headset that couldn't try them on for whatever reason, or couldn't afford one of the better headsets, I gave my opinion on whatever headset they were interested in.

You could never accept that other people were enjoying VR despite the drawbacks, that your personal opinion on VR was the only one that mattered.

So you can go jump. I don't give terrible advice and I try to help as many people as I can on this section of the forum. Even organised a Virtual Table Tennis Tournament, that forum members here enjoyed.

Soldato
This is like one of those awkward times where you're out for dinner, and one of the couples you're with won't stop arguing. Except the time for calling a taxi and heading home to "kiss and make up" has long since passed, and it's only a matter of time before someone gets covered in wine...

Soldato
This is like one of those awkward times where you're out for dinner, and one of the couples you're with won't stop arguing. Except the time for calling a taxi and heading home to "kiss and make up" has long since passed, and it's only a matter of time before someone gets covered in wine...
Don't worry I am making one last post then if he keeps up the nonsense I am reporting us to the mods. I don't like all the rubbish they are making up about me and the way they are trying to paint a fake picture that I hate VR and think it will die e.c.t. When I am pro VR and like it.

Soldato

Or handbags at dawn. :D

Soldato
“You could never accept that other people were enjoying VR despite the drawbacks, that your personal opinion on VR was the only one that mattered.”
That is just another fantasy you have made up. The only person I see acting like there personal opinion on VR is the only one that matters is you.

An example to prove you wrong. I personally dislike Beat Saber but I don’t tell other people not to try it as it’s a good game its just not a game style I like. I have no problem with people using VR in what ever way suits them best. This is just another long list of things you have got wrong.

You seem to have created this completely fake story around me that doesn’t match reality or my real position on VR. Your nonsense and made-up fiction is getting boring. How many comments is that now you said about me that have been wrong? I have lost count there have been that many. If you don’t stop it with all this made up nonsense I will just report us to the mods and let them decided.

“ don't give terrible advice and I try to help as many people as I can on this section of the forum.”
Yet when I tell a guy who lives in Nottingham to go to the Nottingham VR centre to try a headset out before buying. Then if he likes it to skip the rift and get a newer better headset you have a go at my advice for being silly and nonsense and try and make it out like I am sort some sort of ZL sales rep. Which also answers your questions on when I have helped someone. These things you are saying about me like VR will die in 2 years, ban from the graphics sections, that I cannot accept that other people were enjoying VR despite drawbacks are just completely made up by you and not true.

I am only trying to help people despite your attempts to make me out to be something I am not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom