• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I only care about price. £450 for the cheapest 8-core and £300 for the cheapest 6-core.

That's not cheaper than Intel as you make out. As you will know, Intel are now being called the "perf/$ choice".

Rocket Lake will likely see nice perf improvements and still be cheaper than AMD.
If you want a cheaper 6 or 8 core from AMD then buy a 3000 series processor.

For this discussion your focus should be on price/performance for all CPUs on the market, which means AMD 3000 & 5000, and Intel.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Wow, seems there will be a 5900 and 5800 non-x... https://wccftech.com/amd-readies-ryzen-9-5900-12-core-ryzen-7-5800-8-core-zen-3-desktop-cpus/

For OEM, not retail though.

If these did come into the retail channel, there is only a relatively small price gap between 5800x and 5900x for a 5900 (non-x) to fit into, so would it be worth while?

Also, fewer people are inclined to manually overclock Zen 3, so may prefer to spend an extra £40 for the X version in any case.

Caporegime

For this discussion your focus should be on price/performance for all CPUs on the market, which means AMD 3000 & 5000, and Intel.
Nope. Going to wait for Rocket Lake and hope Intel sets a fire under AMD's ass.

Caporegime
If these did come into the retail channel, there is only a relatively small price gap between 5800x and 5900x for a 5900 (non-x) to fit into, so would it be worth while?

Also, fewer people are inclined to manually overclock Zen 3, so may prefer to spend an extra £40 for the X version in any case.
Even without the overclock, the performance difference between the 5900 and 5900x is not going to be very significant in real-world noticeable terms. It's still a fast as hell CPU.

Soldato

Nope I rather wait for rocket lake just want reasonable priced 8 core hopefully intel can deliver and we might see AMD respond the 5800x isn't priced well , I just game and the 3000 series doesn't interest me

Caporegime
Nope I rather wait for rocket lake just want reasonable priced 8 core hopefully intel can deliver and we might see AMD respond the 5800x isn't priced well , I just game and the 3000 series doesn't interest me
Same for me. Just want a decent 8 core as I've said all along 6-core is backwards looking.

I have absolutely no bias to either AMD or Intel but right now AMD's pricing is offensive :p

Soldato
Just comes down to price and availability my 6700k is starting to show it's age and also will be looking for GPU upgrade maybe in march things will be better but don't have high hopes

Last edited:
Soldato
do we actually need 8 cores for stuff yet though ?

Not sure about 8 but definitely there are games where there is still more value in having a 6 core based on performance sacrifice of a 4 core. Outside gaming - for general office use and even some data analysis: high IPC, high clock speed quad core is still good enough

Higher than 6 core count CPUs serve only a handful of purposes

* You want the gauranteed best gaming performance regardless of cost even if it's not good value for money - sometimes it's not even about the number of cores but more so that AMD and Intel bins their chips in a way where the higher core count products also have the fastest clocks which gives better gaming performance

* You use applications that can make use of high core counts AND you value your time so much that cutting a minute or two off of processing time is worth it (for example would you pay an extra $1000 for a CPU if it saved you 20 minutes a day in your job/business?)

* Servers and VM's: Servers and VMs that can have a high number of users connected at once naturally requires enough resources to go around so that the service level is maintained

Soldato
Well my pc with 8320 keeps BSOD, ordered a 5600x will come 4th Jan will look to build system after I get cpu, not bothered until after Christmas.

Soldato
Adding more to the rumours that AMD won't be on 5nm in 2021, new report just out says Apple has purchased nearly all of TSMC's 5nm capacity for 2021.

So perhaps the rumours of Zen3+ is right and we'll get an interim step before Zen4

Soldato
Adding more to the rumours that AMD won't be on 5nm in 2021, new report just out says Apple has purchased nearly all of TSMC's 5nm capacity for 2021.

So perhaps the rumours of Zen3+ is right and we'll get an interim step before Zen4

I think so. I suspect they think they can squeeze a little more out of AM4 first.

Soldato
Anyone know what's going on with the supposed desktop idle temps on the 5950X?
Mine is hella hot, with a voltage of 1.44v and reaching low 70's

Then when I actually apply stress, either Cinebench, gaming, or the Aida64 stability test, the temps are actually lower.

Seems it's related to the Windows Powerplans, balance and performance both jack up my voltage on the desktop. Only Power Saver actually downclocks on idle.

35oI5Wz.png
S6J6bQt.png
y7txAl6.png

96GFj7E.png

Soldato
Go into the balanced power profile and change CPU power minimum to 0% and leave Maximum at 100%

basically each profile has an option that lets you set the minimum CPU power, you need to check if your power profile has an issue you may find that the minimum is on 90% or even 100% or something

Soldato
Go into the balanced power profile and change CPU power minimum to 0% and leave Maximum at 100%

basically each profile has an option that lets you set the minimum CPU power, you need to check if your power profile has an issue you may find that the minimum is on 90% or even 100% or something

Did nothing, CPU idling at 71, voltage at 1.43v with Balance set like that also. The cores are boosting like under load.

If I use Power Saver, it instantly lowers voltage to 0.9v and the cores actually idle, and temps are 37 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom