Any advantage to x2 Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Cards?

Associate
Like the title says, is there any advantage to having 2 x Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Cards in a machine?

I know they don't have SLI in the 3080's so I wondered. I'm asking because I'm looking at a pre-made rig that comes with 2 installed and I cant see a reason why when its listed as an extreme gaming PC.
Are they just trying to dump stock and pad the price or is there a logical reason for this?

BTW the other components in this rig are:

RM1000x PSU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Hydro100i Cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz
X570-F Mobo
2TB 970 M.2 SSD
2TB HDD

The cost for this being just shy of £3,943. And if the x2 cards aren't actually useful from a gaming standpoint, I might see if I can get them to dump one card and shave a few hundred quid off the total cost.

Thanks.

Soldato
In theory you could game on one card and get the other to do RTX voice, background overlay, CUDA stuff and so on, but I've not actually seen it done.

Associate
Even shaving a 'few hundred quid' off is still going to make that ridiculously overpriced. Are you that desperate for a 5900X and a 3800?

Associate
OP
Even shaving a 'few hundred quid' off is still going to make that ridiculously overpriced. Are you that desperate for a 5900X and a 3800?

I'm looking at having a Gaming Rig I won't need to bother about updating or modifying for a good few years, so I figure it's best to get the current gaming standard, which most people seem to say is a 3080 (3090 is apparently only a small improvement and only for workstation type builds most seem to say) and a 12 core CPU since, again, from what I've read no games need close to 16 cores right now, and even 12 could be considered pushing it, but I do like to mess around on occasion with animation and rendering software on a purely hobbyist level so figure a little extra oomph there might not hurt?

Thanks, I looked at the Gallium and the price, and I liked it, but because it's 3700x I looked at something in the same sort of bracket. Right now I'm looking at the Scimitar with some tweaks.

Ryzen 9 3900x
GeForce 3080
32GB 3600Mhz Ram
x2 2TB 970 M.2 SSD's
6TB HDD

And all coming it at a more pleasant 3,276.95, a big improvement cost wise I have to admit. Enough savings left over to go for a slightly more expensive and better monitor, or even some other bits and bobs.

Back
Top Bottom