How Would You/Will You Spend Christmas Day Alone?

Caporegime
Whilst I know you're probably right, not everyone is so flippant about whether they should follow the rules or not. Case in point - I spoke to my mum to say I would come over. She's technically high risk, but she's been clear of cancer for 5 years now. They just never take you off their lists. She's said to me, maybe, because she's worried about the new strain. So it's not as clear cut as "this is the law". People are concerned!

I'd say that is different though because she is high risk, so it's completely understandable in that situation. I won't be seeing my grandparents because they're in the same boat.

However if none of you are high risk, then I'm sure one day off isn't going to hurt.

Soldato
Or spelling.... :) Being on your own on Christmas day affecting your mental health, sheesh, it's the new bad back.

Spoken as someone who is probably in decent house with a garden and surrounded by a family.

Try spending 9 months in a studio flat on your own, then seeing a glimmer of hope when promised a Christmas break, only to have that U-turned with less than a week to go. Back to being on your Todd with 4 walls as company.

Get in the sea with your holier than thou attitude.

Watching TV - Christmas adverts showing people playing happy families.

Radio - adverts for Christmas shopping, gifts for those people youre not allowed to see.

Go for a walk - Christmas lights up everywhere as a reminder that it is in fact the festive season and guess what you're all alone.

Try experiencing that and come back and let us know how it makes you feel, twonk.

Soldato
Presumably no one has any idea whether you’re single or not and therefore I could easily go to my parents alone and not worry about it?
I was reading posts on reddit about police stopping people getting on trains who were single people on the way to their support bubbles. Going to be a tough one to enforce. I expect I may get stopped and questioned when heading out of Wales depending how busy the roads are

Associate
So, we (Me, Wife and daughter) have a lodge booked in Devon over Christmas/New year. We are currently in tier 3, Devon in tier 2.
Wife and daughter desperate to go, but after recent events, I am really not comfortable. For the first time since this whole thing started, I actually feel a bit low.
Resort owners have said we are fine to go, but I am not so sure. The rules on Travel seem so sketchy. Too many what ifs.
Trying to find some exact clarity, as from what I can see, we are only "advised" not to travel.
Also conscious that I cannot expect everyone else to follow the rules If I disregard them myself.
Its not exactly round the corner. :p

Soldato
So, we (Me, Wife and daughter) have a lodge booked in Devon over Christmas/New year. We are currently in tier 3, Devon in tier 2.
Wife and daughter desperate to go, but after recent events, I am really not comfortable. For the first time since this whole thing started, I actually feel a bit low.
Resort owners have said we are fine to go, but I am not so sure. The rules on Travel seem so sketchy. Too many what ifs.
Trying to find some exact clarity, as from what I can see, we are only "advised" not to travel.
Also conscious that I cannot expect everyone else to follow the rules If I disregard them myself.
Its not exactly round the corner. :p

You might have your answer in about an hours time

Soldato
Spoken as someone who is probably in decent house with a garden and surrounded by a family.

Try spending 9 months in a studio flat on your own, then seeing a glimmer of hope when promised a Christmas break, only to have that U-turned with less than a week to go. Back to being on your Todd with 4 walls as company.

Get in the sea with your holier than thou attitude.

Watching TV - Christmas adverts showing people playing happy families.

Radio - adverts for Christmas shopping, gifts for those people youre not allowed to see.

Go for a walk - Christmas lights up everywhere as a reminder that it is in fact the festive season and guess what you're all alone.

Try experiencing that and come back and let us know how it makes you feel, twonk.

Well done for taking the time to reply although his ignorance didn't really deserve a response which is why I didn't bother.

Soldato
OP
@AndyCr15 - did you sort it? We can always reform our Overwatch bromance for a day if you're bored. I'll be with my support bubble until a bit later in the day though. :D

Ha ha, thanks. This thread reminded me to call my bro and check with him, I don't want them to feel like they need to 'save me' or anything (they are both classed vulnerable). I'll be just fine if they are even slightly nervous about visiting. He'll let me know, but he seems fine with it, so looks like I'm all set :)

Associate
I'll be going round my sisters (we both live alone), as we are in each other support bubble. My nan is in a support bubble with my parents.

Will video call the other bubble and try and do some board games.

Associate
I imagine there will be a spike in suicides this Christmas, sadly

I imagine there will also be a pretty big spike in Covid cases and widespread transmission across the country.

It's 1 day - once in our lifetime. I am frankly amazed at how many people prepared to put their family and loved-ones at risk by travelling around, transporting the virus (or just ANY illness - at this time of year, the NHS does not need a bunch of "seasonal flu infections" ontop of everything it's trying to cope with during Covid.

It seems extremely self-centered and short-sighted to me, that people are willing to ignore many of the precautions they themselves have been taking, all for the sake of 1 day?!

Surely skipping 1 Christmas is better than (potentially) causing the collapse of the NHS, or the deaths of hundreds, even thousands of people (many most likely elderly relatives people are going to have Xmas Dinner with) ?
Tier 4 - highest it's been.. but hey c'mon guys, it's Xmas, I'm sure the Virus will pay respect to our Christian-hijacked Pagan holiday and not infect anyone on the 25th, right? .... right? :confused::D

Does anyone else think it's utterly insane for people to be moving around the country at all right now given the "new strain" and the spike in infections right now?

Capodecina
Soldato
I imagine there will also be a pretty big spike in Covid cases and widespread transmission across the country.

It's 1 day - once in our lifetime. I am frankly amazed at how many people prepared to put their family and loved-ones at risk by travelling around, transporting the virus (or just ANY illness - at this time of year, the NHS does not need a bunch of "seasonal flu infections" ontop of everything it's trying to cope with during Covid.

It seems extremely self-centered and short-sighted to me, that people are willing to ignore many of the precautions they themselves have been taking, all for the sake of 1 day?!

Surely skipping 1 Christmas is better than (potentially) causing the collapse of the NHS, or the deaths of hundreds, even thousands of people (many most likely elderly relatives people are going to have Xmas Dinner with) ?
Tier 4 - highest it's been.. but hey c'mon guys, it's Xmas, I'm sure the Virus will pay respect to our Christian-hijacked Pagan holiday and not infect anyone on the 25th, right? .... right? :confused::D

Does anyone else think it's utterly insane for people to be moving around the country at all right now given the "new strain" and the spike in infections right now?

I agree with everything you've said, I especially appreciate the "Christian-hijacked Pagan holiday" part.

In my case, as far as I see it, the virus is indiscriminate; it doesn't know or care if you're in a "support bubble". It's just one Xmas and I'm in tier 4, so I am not going anywhere in order to protect those I care about. Of course we'll do video chats etc on Xmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day. Of course we were very disappointed when the tier 4 announcement came with all its ramifications. But this year I'm choosing to stay put.

Associate
I agree with everything you've said, I especially appreciate the "Christian-hijacked Pagan holiday" part.

In my case, as far as I see it, the virus is indiscriminate; it doesn't know or care if you're in a "support bubble". It's just one Xmas and I'm in tier 4, so I am not going anywhere in order to protect those I care about. Of course we'll do video chats etc on Xmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day. Of course we were very disappointed when the tier 4 announcement happened came with all its ramifications. But this year I'm choosing to stay put.

Indeed, likewise my father is in a high risk group as COPD patient with ~56% lung function.. Even a simple common cold will put him back in the hospital for an unknown length of time.. which is not only detrimental to him, but also to the NHS as a whole - The last time he spent 4 months on an ICU ward and had to be resuscitated twice... The level of NHS staffing required to look after a patient like this, could instead be diverted to help deal with the Covid pandemic.

My 9 year old nephew just started getting "the sniffles" after his birthday on the 17th.. so that's our Family Christmas Dinner out the window for now... we will just have our own Christmas Dinner later on when it's safe to do so.

Soldato

Where is the risk if I isolate for 2 weeks, get a negative test result and mix with 1 other household who have done exactly the same? All travelling done by car, hands sanitised regularly on the journey.

Your right it's only 1 day, so I'm happy to take extra precaution and go against government rules for that 1 day. After that 1 day, I will go back to being fully compliant.

Soldato
I would simply play a variety of games on the pc while having the TV on in the background getting slowly drunk.

As it stands I have 2 kids and a wife so that's certainly not going to happen

Associate
Where is the risk if I isolate for 2 weeks, get a negative test result and mix with 1 other household who have done exactly the same? All travelling done by car, hands sanitised regularly on the journey.

Your right it's only 1 day, so I'm happy to take extra precaution and go against government rules for that 1 day. After that 1 day, I will go back to being fully compliant.

Because unnecessary journeys create avoidable infections..

What happens if on your drive you find you had under-estimated how much fuel you had in the tank? You gonna have to stop for fuel at that petrol station... Where there are probably going to a higher than average number of people, due to so many people seemingly planning to only travel on Xmas day itself.
Or maybe you get a breakdown.. Now the AA guy has to come out, maybe you catch it off him.

Every interaction we have is a chance we catch it and take it with us. Limiting the number of those interactions to those that are only absolutely necessary is what helps prevent that happening.

Considering many people seem to also be interpreting Boris's "advise" as a green light to go have Xmas Dinner with the family, this is undoubtedly going to increase the number of interactions dramatically, no?

Is it worth the risk for 1 day?

*Edit*

~No risk, really, if it goes as planned. But some of us can't isolate for two weeks. ~

I agree also.. In theory there is no risk.. IF everything goes to plan. But to assume that everything will go to plan... that's a big gamble to take, especially when it's not just a person's own life they're potentially gambling with.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
My 9 year old nephew just started getting "the sniffles" after his birthday on the 17th.. so that's our Family Christmas Dinner out the window for now... we will just have our own Christmas Dinner later on when it's safe to do so.

Yes, that's what I said, we'd postpone it. My wife and I will have a belated Xmas dinner some time in Jan [she's away] and hopefully I'll be able to see the rest of my family in Jan too [who knows though at this rate, may be Feb].

No risk, really, if it goes as planned. But some of us can't isolate for two weeks.

I would simply play a variety of games on the pc while having the TV on in the background getting slowly drunk.

Oh believe me, that's the plan at this end.

Back
Top Bottom