Sega Saturn - what’s the best option?

Soldato
A bit late in the day I know, but I’m thinking of picking up a Saturn for my retro collection.

I’m thinking of a TO Mode too, so perhaps it doesn’t matter what region Saturn I get. Either way I’d like a mint one regardless.

So my current queries:

1. If I get a Japanese unit, I don’t really want to get a step down transformer, so would my only other option to be to replace the internal PSU and is this easily doable?

2. Is it still the case that the Mk1 has a better RGB video signal? I know there were dozens of revisions, so perhaps there is a mk2 version that readdressed the balance here?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Soldato
Welcome to the dark side... My Saturn collection is hovering around money pit territory and I need to get back on refurbishing 3/4 of the Saturns I picked up for the mode. Turns out it's really hard to find one with an actually broken cd drive and I've been testing loads to re-sell on eBay in the new year.

For the Japanese unit the psu replacement looks a genuine faff, yes the white one looks super cool, but it's not cheap and comes with one of 3 psu revisions, of which they're all wired differently and the revisions aren't a direct replacement to the uk standard usually (one of them is but you've got better odds on the lottery) as there's an additional 5v rail in some of them. If you're thinking of playing imported games it's easier to put a 60mhz switch or it can do it in software I think.

The mk1 vs mk2 video is a myth, retro rgb has a whole video on it, only advice is to pay the £23 for the legit rgb cable from retro gaming cables (not sponsored by them sadly). That did a brilliant job on both my B&O MX4000 tv and the OSS upscalier.

If you fancy doing a MK1 vs MK2 comparison I've got enough of both knocking about that actually play cd games...

Soldato
OP
Thanks pingwing, sounds like it’s a slippery slope.

Ok, psu changes are out then, I figured as much. I’m quite taken by the ‘This is Cool’ transparent Jap versions, guess I’ll just need a transformer.

I did check retroRGB but obviously missed the in-depth article. He mentioned only testing US versions regarding the video output. I’ll go look some more.

I’ll also need to check the switchable 50/60hz options, I initially thought a Jap console was the best option here. I should have just purchased all this stuff first time round, it’s a minefield these day :D

Soldato
OP
Ok so I’ve got a Japanese console, RGB sync on luma scart cable, an action replay 4in1 and some games on their way.

I just need to sort out the step down transformer. A couple of places do them although one is shut for Xmas. Will check the other tomorrow.

I think that’s everything I need to get me going. I need to check what sort of PAL games run well at 60hz, think I saw a list somewhere...

Associate
Japanese model is the route I went down also, 60Hz and cheaper game prices for a lot of stuff (plus far more titles were released in that region of course). Did have a PAL Saturn back in the late 90s but couldn't face the prospect of poorly PAL-optimised games again, although to be fair there were some that were done properly (Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 being a couple of examples).

The list you refer to is probably this one: https://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/post/146372446412/3d-lemmings-pal-optimised-graphic

If you buy a PAL one you 100% need to 60hz mod it.
If you buy a Jap one then you can just put a PAL power board in there I am sure.

I have a PAL Saturn with a 60hz switch. I also have a Pseudo Saturn flash cart, but you will need to look that up yourself otherwise my post will get deleted.

Soldato
OP
Japanese model is the route I went down also, 60Hz and cheaper game prices for a lot of stuff (plus far more titles were released in that region of course). Did have a PAL Saturn back in the late 90s but couldn't face the prospect of poorly PAL-optimised games again, although to be fair there were some that were done properly (Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 being a couple of examples).

The list you refer to is probably this one: https://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/post/146372446412/3d-lemmings-pal-optimised-graphic

That’s good to know that someone else has gone down this route and yes, that’s the info I found... quite useful.

I’ve got Sega Rally and Daytona iirc on my Dreamcast, so the Saturn will serve predominantly as a 2D games platform.

If you buy a PAL one you 100% need to 60hz mod it.
If you buy a Jap one then you can just put a PAL power board in there I am sure.

I have a PAL Saturn with a 60hz switch. I also have a Pseudo Saturn flash cart, but you will need to look that up yourself otherwise my post will get deleted.

Ooh now, I did see mention of this when looking up the AR4-1. I shall have another look.

Any tips on good games to get (PAL or NTSC)?

Initially I will build up my SF and beat ,em up collection, but im sure there are other games I should look at that did well on the Saturn.

Associate
Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast is decent enough, but the original on Saturn is brilliant and worth getting. Aside from 2D fighters, are there any particular genres you like/don't like?

Soldato
OP
Ok I’ll need to look into that then. I’m pretty open, but I’m not really a fan of RPGs or anything particularly strange (a lot of the cutesy Japanese stuff falls into this category).

Mid 90s classics like Virtual Cop 1,2, Sonic and probably Panzer Dragoon were on my list. Then anything from the prior 16-bit gen that was then improved on the 32bit systems. Sadly the Saturn passed me by at the time, I was fully into PC gaming at that point, FPSs, and anything console related was on the N64 and PS1.

Associate
Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 are great games, particularly the sequel. I don't have any of the Sonic games for Saturn, but if I did it'd probably just be the Sonic Jam compilation. I'd also recommend Dynamite Deka (aka Die Hard Arcade in PAL land), good laugh that.

Soldato
Guardian Heroes, Exhumed, Loaded and House of the Dead are also worth a go!

I got slightly obsessed with weird ports to the Saturn. Almost everything from that era ended up with an version on the system and find it really funny the classic point and clicks of Discworld 1 and 2 made it on the system as well as Sim City 2000 and command and conquer...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes I’ve totally noticed this, lots of random ports appear to have made it over. I’ve just noticed Doom and Duke nukem also.

I’ll check out the titles listed, I can feel this is starting to become a little unhealthy :D

I'm not a fan of fighters so I won't say much regarding them.
I have King Of Fighters 95, which seems good fun. Tbh I'd just go to the Dreamcast for fighters as they're loads cheaper.

I hear the Saturn has a very good version of Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

Puyo Puyo is a great cheap puzzle game. Hilariously crap Jap anime cut scenes too.

Doom is awful on the Saturn. The frame rate is pathetic. Avoid at all costs.

Sonic R is also terrible.

I do recommend a good joystick if you can find one for a sensible price.

I hear someone did a hack of Grandia where they made it in English. There was never a PAL Saturn release of it and the PS1 version really struggles to keep up.

Good call OP on focusing on the Saturn as a 2D platform. It has some awesome shooters. Radiant Silvergun is fun. Layer Section is decent too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Japanese saturn with a Mode. Hooked up to OSMC.

If your concerned about cheap and nasty transformers look at airlinktransformers who do proper units that won't potentially kill you.

Used to have an action replay for ram but it broke (quite common) so have a 1mb official cart and currently trying to source a 4mb cart and then it will be complete.

Soldato
OP
I'm not a fan of fighters so I won't say much regarding them.
I have King Of Fighters 95, which seems good fun. Tbh I'd just go to the Dreamcast for fighters as they're loads cheaper.

I hear the Saturn has a very good version of Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

Puyo Puyo is a great cheap puzzle game. Hilariously crap Jap anime cut scenes too.

Doom is awful on the Saturn. The frame rate is pathetic. Avoid at all costs.

Sonic R is also terrible.

I do recommend a good joystick if you can find one for a sensible price.

I hear someone did a hack of Grandia where they made it in English. There was never a PAL Saturn release of it and the PS1 version really struggles to keep up.

Good call OP on focusing on the Saturn as a 2D platform. It has some awesome shooters. Radiant Silvergun is fun. Layer Section is decent too.

Thanks for the tips. I did look briefly at joysticks and the realised it’s a bit of a minefield. I’ll come back to this, I’ve just picked up one of the retro-bit wireless controllers. Will see how it goes.

I have a Japanese saturn with a Mode. Hooked up to OSMC.

If your concerned about cheap and nasty transformers look at airlinktransformers who do proper units that won't potentially kill you.

Used to have an action replay for ram but it broke (quite common) so have a 1mb official cart and currently trying to source a 4mb cart and then it will be complete.

A shame to hear the AR carts are perhaps a bit fragile, having just bought one. I’ve also got an official 4mb cart coming packaged with one of the fighting games I’ve bought, hopefully this will see me through.

Airlink is one of the places I’ve found for transformers, the other being Aldetronics. I see this as a good place to spend money, rather than the cheap £20 devices on Amazon etc. I’ll get on to them in the new year, I’m sure their smaller units will be more than enough for the Saturn (600-750VA).

How are you getting on with the Mode, are the results worth it?

Soldato
Airlink is one of the places I’ve found for transformers, the other being Aldetronics. I see this as a good place to spend money, rather than the cheap £20 devices on Amazon etc. I’ll get on to them in the new year, I’m sure their smaller units will be more than enough for the Saturn (600-750VA).

How are you getting on with the Mode, are the results worth it?
I have this one and used it fine with the Saturn and also the PSX.

Mode is good but expensive, my Saturn laser was starting to get busted so decided just to get it to save myself future issues. "Guess it depends what you want, I think for most people its overkill as whilst you can put the entire library on an SSD with it, there's only really a handful of games you would consistently play and most of those are reasonably priced on disc anyway and/or need the either of the carts that you would have to buy regardless.

Soldato
OP
I guess it’s the convenience of the tech like the mode that’s attractive, plus optical drives won’t last for ever.

I use Everdrives for my other consoles and it means I don’t have to keep digging out my games collection when all I want a quick blast. I’ve limited time these days, I don’t want to waste it updating clients and drivers. Booting up a console with instant access to games is definitely where it’s at for me atm.

Soldato
OP
So, this turned up...

50779005853_888274bf8c_z.jpg

I knew it was in great condition, however I hadn’t expected it to be mint! Very chuffed :cool:

It came with the original box, manual and all the bits, but now I feel it’s too good to disassemble and fit a mode :o Oh well, we’ll see how we go.

Here’s the control pad with an 8bitdo for comparison as it was to hand. The Sega pad is slightly larger but other than that and the clicky shoulder buttons they feel almost identical. I’ve got a retro-bit wireless Saturn pad too, to try. It’s the same transparent design as the original. I have high hopes.

50779880787_b71af0cdf4_z.jpg

Annoyingly none of my games have turned up yet, which is rather funny as they only had to make it across the border. The console managed to get here all the way from Japan in the same timeframe. Crazy.

It’s immaterial anyway as I still have to sort the step down converter, but they aren’t open until the new year.

I’m soo close to playing some Saturn 2D goodness #awesomeretrotimes

Back
Top Bottom