I bought a coach!

Soldato
OP
So why's it got 3x the KM's you thought it had? :p

I don't know how many KM's it has, I just suggested it would more likely be 1,025,000 not the 25,000 shown on the tacho and that if it had done 1,000,000 then it would have had a rebuild as it runs too well to have done that without. The previous owner said about 350,000 km's but they don't have mileage records like cars. It has been having 28 day inspections and maintenance up until it was parked up 12 months ago and there is nothing not working (other than the door lock).

Man of Honour
I don't know how many KM's it has, I just suggested it would more likely be 1,025,000 not the 25,000 shown on the tacho and that if it had done 1,000,000 then it would have had a rebuild as it runs too well to have done that without. The previous owner said about 350,000 km's but they don't have mileage records like cars. It has been having 28 day inspections and maintenance up until it was parked up 12 months ago and there is nothing not working (other than the door lock).

Where I got my pickup from has stock like this (my pickup has a lot less miles on it) - they are generally in the 300-500K KM region - though they mostly do trucks and the odd mini-coach or shuttle.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Where I got my pickup from has stock like this (my pickup has a lot less miles on it) - they are generally in the 300-500K KM region - though they mostly do trucks and the odd mini-coach or shuttle.

Buying a Bus is very different from buying a car, you can get a million miler that is few years old and it has been so well looked after it will run for another million no problem if you maintain it right. Bodywork and Rust are the 2 issues with buses, they get badly abused and my bodywork is pretty sound bar the crappy door on it that replaced the good one they used on their PSVAR coach :p

Caporegime
Buying a Bus is very different from buying a car, you can get a million miler that is few years old and it has been so well looked after it will run for another million no problem if you maintain it right. Bodywork and Rust are the 2 issues with buses, they get badly abused and my bodywork is pretty sound bar the crappy door on it that replaced the good one they used on their PSVAR coach :p
Trucks and busses are maintained by strict legally binding guidelines which is why they last so long, most other vehicles are not and get repaired when something breaks as opposed to having the huge amount of preventative maintenance that commercial vehicles receive which is why they take huge mileage in their stride. :)

Soldato
Went to Scotland recently in our campervan, and found one of these beasts in the middle of the forest! Was amazing to see to be fair, he had a suzuki jimmy that lived underneath that he could drive in and out of.

Looked like a family that lived on it full time. You don't see many! Can see it being a pain though to park up for the night though due to the size of the thing.

Associate
Trucks and busses are maintained by strict legally binding guidelines which is why they last so long, most other vehicles are not and get repaired when something breaks as opposed to having the huge amount of preventative maintenance that commercial vehicles receive which is why they take huge mileage in their stride. :)
Interesting, never thought about this

Soldato
OP

Exactly mate, all PSV's get a 28 day inspection regardless of mileage.

Well as if 2020 couldn't get worse, a neighbour have complained about the Coach being parked behind my flat so landlord told them I would move it after Christmas... Well it might be while after Christmas as finding a place isn't exactly straight forward... And the MOT runs out on the 13-1-21 so yeah... Unless it gets extended again.

Man of Honour
... preventative maintenance that commercial vehicles receive which is why they take huge mileage in their stride. :)

I guess theres a slightly different 'costs more to repair than its worth so bin it' economic going on as well.

Well as if 2020 couldn't get worse, a neighbour have complained about the Coach being parked behind my flat so landlord told them I would move it after Christmas...

Thats a bit rubbish, but not all that surprising - how big a Quantum Stealth sheet can you get do you think? Otherwise i'd be looking for a friendly farmer...

Caporegime
I guess theres a slightly different 'costs more to repair than its worth so bin it' economic going on as well.
To a degree yes although you’ll see a lot of older commercials still on the road that are effectively worthless due to age but still in service.

A case in point, we’ve got a few 10year old MAN tractor units at work , they still have the rigorous mandatory checks and maintenance they keep them going until something major fails and then they go straight for scrap as they are worthless over here, ironically there’s a huge trade in scrap trucks being sent to Africa where they are put back in service although usually one tractor will be reassembled using the good parts of numerous scrappers.

Ports like Tilbury are full of what looks like scrap trucks that very soon are back on the road (dirt tracks?) of the sub continent in a Frankenstein fashion.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Indeed I must say that I am not surprised, there is a reason that we don’t all buy old coaches for £5k :D

good luck finding somewhere to park it, it’s an interesting project :)

Can't type for toffee
Don
Exactly mate, all PSV's get a 28 day inspection regardless of mileage.

Well as if 2020 couldn't get worse, a neighbour have complained about the Coach being parked behind my flat so landlord told them I would move it after Christmas... Well it might be while after Christmas as finding a place isn't exactly straight forward... And the MOT runs out on the 13-1-21 so yeah... Unless it gets extended again.

As long as it's taxed, tested and insured can they say anything?
I mean I know its larger than your usual run around haha

Man of Honour
As long as it's taxed, tested and insured can they say anything?
I mean I know its larger than your usual run around haha

Of course they can as it's likely a private parking area to which his lease entitles him to a space with a restriction on commercial vehicles. The biggest mystery is why he even considered it might be ok to park that in a flat parking area :D

Soldato
Of course they can as it's likely a private parking area to which his lease entitles him to a space with a restriction on commercial vehicles. The biggest mystery is why he even considered it might be ok to park that in a flat parking area :D

Indeed, the housing development we live in has a 'no commercial vehicles" clause, not that anyone takes any notice of it and it's not enforced.

Focusing on your wording though, if the OP reclassified the vehicle to a motorhome, presumably that would fix the commercial classification. I'm not suggesting that would solve the issue, further I wouldnt appreciate a coach parked near where I live, but if we're going on technicalities...

Back
Top Bottom