• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 Coil Whine?

Associate
Has anyone else noticed a large amount of coil whine on their 30 series cards?

I have a 3070 Gigabyte Eagle OC card and anything over 100fps results in pretty bad coil whine.

The noise gets worse the more fps I get, and with 400+ it sounds like an old 56k modem.

I've had cards with coil whine before but this is pretty unacceptable to be honest, might have to return the card :(

Soldato
running a 3090 Palit card, not noticed any coilwhine tbh. Sometimes the psu can cause coilwhine in some rare instances. Have you tried your card with a different psu to test?

Soldato
Haven’t got mine yet, but keep using it and it may go away (or at least reduce to a suitably low level). I remember my 980Ti’s had quite a bit of whine but after a week or two it was gone.

Also, why on earth would you run 400fps?!

Soldato
Pretty common tbh. Been through many cards because of it. Running above 60fps and they do get pretty noisy. 100-144hz and yes easily the loudest thing in the system,

I know that on a few brands the backplates can make a pretty big difference in terms of amplifying the noise.

Permabanned
Also, why on earth would you run 400fps?!

Good point. It's asking for trouble to run it at that framerate. Running it at that speed is just wasting electricity. The average person doesn't need it any faster than their monitor refresh rate and should be limiting it as such.

Associate
OP
Good point. It's asking for trouble to run it at that framerate. Running it at that speed is just wasting electricity. The average person doesn't need it any faster than their monitor refresh rate and should be limiting it as such.

I'm not running it at 400fps, I just did that as a test. I'm running at 165hz and fps capped at 165.

Associate
Try running max power/performance rather than adaptive saving and g-sync on, if you can. I don't currently have nvidia so cant remember exact names.

Soldato
Can be the PSU and FPS, but can also just be the sample you get. My first 3090FE had way too much coil whine buzzing from meters away and this was testing on a AXi 1600w Titanium PSU. Second one had much less but broke HDMI port. Third 3090FE is pretty good. A 3080FE I had whine also while second one did not. So IMO there is some sample to sample variation in my experience (abit only with 5 3xxx cards)

Soldato
I’ve noticed no coil whine at all from my Palit GP 3070. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complaining in the 3070 owners thread either. I suspect it’s your card rather than a widespread problem.

Soldato
30 series is known to have coil whine, just read some reviews and you'll see you're not the only one.
I've found it gets less over time. Had my 3080 since launch and it's a lot less now then it was at first

Man of Honour
On my FE weirdly I have zero coil whine in Windows 7 but I stuck a Windows 10 dual boot on the system to play Cyberpunk and it gets a slight amount of it under certain circumstances (comparable circumstances in 7 don't produce it) - it is definitely coil whine. Not sure what is going on there.

I just put it down to Windows 10 being rubbish though :D

Associate
When I have EVGA Precision up and something else working the GPU (2080ti), on every Hz change there is a burst of mild coil whine at the point of every change. This doesn't happen in Afterburner.
There clearly can be a software oddness as a cause of it.

Man of Honour
When I have EVGA Precision up and something else working the GPU (2080ti), on every Hz change there is a burst of mild coil whine at the point of every change. This doesn't happen in Afterburner.
There clearly can be a software oddness as a cause of it.

Yeah - no real difference in my software setup between the OSes but certain things will give a burst of mild but definite coil whine in 10 which I've never had in 7. No idea rhyme or reason but fortunately for the most part my card doesn't exhibit it normally.

Associate
MSI 3080 trio gaming x, very small quiet amount only when pulling serious frames in menu screens.Seems to be getting less but only had it a month. Repositioning the anti sag bracket changes the tone of it and it settles down after a day or two.

Gigabyte 3070 gaming oc, loads of loud coil whine.could hear it over headphones when in menu screens. Quietened a little after leaving Heaven benchmark running for a few hours.” But still bloody loud whilst gaming capped at 144fps. Almost screeching when uncapped frame limit.

MSi 2070 super trio gaming x, loud to begin with,settled down after a couple months of use to an acceptable level.

Coil whine is bit of a lottery.

What does seem to set it off is the menu screen in Warzone. Always get some there no matter what the FPS is capped to.

Back
Top Bottom