*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
I'm about 4 hours in. Just took down Maelstrom. I was told it's best not to start the side missions until after the prologue, so that's what I'm doing and it's worked out quite well. Being able to focus on a task before I get overwhelmed.

So far it's running quite well on my system, with RTX lighting and shadows turned on. I have most graphical settings set to high with the exception to Cascade Shadow Resolution and the in-game reflections set to medium. Sadly RTX reflections is just too expensive. The game looks beautiful at 1440p.

I've of course encountered some bugs but nothing too game breaking. There have been a few cases of not being able to fire a weapon or an NPC not being where I need him to but after a quick reload the issues fixed themselves.

All in all I'm happy so far and I'm enjoying myself. Though I can't speak for everyone else's experience.

Associate
I fear they've spent a great length of timing making an RTX showcase for nVidia, and forgot to spend equal amounts of time on the game and actual immersion in a beautiful looking world.

It's actually hugely fun to play and quite immersive.

I'm sure the console versions are horrible and they also tried to hide that from pre-release reviewers which is inexcusable but the PC version is pretty stable. There are some small bugs on the PC but nothing game breaking. In fact it genuinely has less bugs that I expected. I know that's not a popular opinion :eek:

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I've seen the odd bug but nothing game breaking at all, 30 hours in and not had one crash. Quite enjoying it, it's a shame they ballsed up with the console vesion.

Soldato
bugs :p

It's a very big, single player open world game, bugs are a feature.

No crashes and about 90h invested.

Have to rewind a few times with saves to fix weirdness (which barely matters since often load saves to change decisions anyway) and re-equip gear to get it working again occasionally and some other buggy workarounds.

Soldato
RTX on vs off in realistic areas that you often walk through, the difference is more minimal than select samples often picked out in video comparisons on YT etc. As mentioned before, you rarely stop to notice areas under benches, r the shadow cast on the dark side of a bin or box on the ground etc. Those areas where RTX shadows/light a visibly different the most are areas you don't often walk through the most.

Water is really the only major area where the difference is worth it but also the biggest framerate impact too.

Can you guess which one of each is RTX on and off?

20201222034709_1.jpg

20201222034700_1.jpg

20201222034653_1.jpg

20201222034645_1.jpg

20201222015800_1.jpg

20201222015752_1.jpg

20201222015552_1.jpg

20201222015527_1.jpg

There are bound to be situations in which the difference is rather small (also the quality of the images is not great). Probably a full path trace will show more.As you move from scene to scene, I'd say the effect is best seen as you play. However, if you must use DLSS at an aggressive level (ultra performance or even performance), then perhaps no RT, but with no DLSS or DLSS on optimal will produce a better, sharper result.
For ultra performance/performance, although it looks good when static, when driving, drinking or other similar situation, it tends to be blury.

However, look at the pictures below, the difference is easy to spot:

RTX off vs. ON

Another thing I've noticed is with the shadows during the day. Digital Foundry said that RT shadows are only from Sun and Moon. There are times in which the shadows in raster vs. RT don't correspond.

RTX off vs. ON

In the rasterized situation, the shadows were actually moving at a decent frame rate (not the stuttery mess that most games have as they update very slowly the position of the Sun) and were actually more on screen. On the RT, the shadows were not moving and were less - probably the angle from the actual source of light (Sun), doesn't quite correspond.

Annoyingly the performance hit with ultra settings + RT on is higher than if they path traced the whole game, at a moderate ray count, instead of using any traditional techniques - though would still have some specular noise that might be less than ideal.

The main difference I notice is where screen space reflections fall apart and/or aren't accurate versus where they've used ray traced ones for those circumstances - there is some slight use of ray tracing to scatter light but it is fairly subtle. Overall pretty meh use of ray tracing.

Overall it doesn't look bad even without RT, but is still heavy. On a RTX2080, in 1080p, full details without RT, in GPU heavy situations, it can drop below 60fps, so for a locked 60fps you need a 2080ti or 3070. That's at 1080p.

Alternatively, I think HFTS shadows from nVIDIA also look very good and that's without the need of RT hardware.

Even the buckle of that bag is crisp.

I think one of the reason for which there is no reflection of your character is due to the lack of proper animation between what you see and what you character is actually doing. Just look at the shadow you cast, sometimes it even T posses :D

Soldato
It's actually hugely fun to play and quite immersive.

I'm sure the console versions are horrible and they also tried to hide that from pre-release reviewers which is inexcusable but the PC version is pretty stable. There are some small bugs on the PC but nothing game breaking. In fact it genuinely has less bugs that I expected. I know that's not a popular opinion :eek:

I have played about 30 hours.
The open world aspect is where the main bugs are.
Bar Jackie turning invisible at stages in act 1 I haven't encountered many breaking bugs.
When just walking, not doing storyline missions, the immersion goes, falls apart.

Caporegime
Well I am officially happy with how I have this setup now, got the game running sweet as and looking superb.

Settings:

XdfpN7ql.jpg

4zCIzu5l.jpg

geVPKIdl.jpg

GFBXhBUl.jpg

Photos of it in action, obviously don't do it any justice:

09iBHPQl.jpg

aDIaWOil.jpg

rgFaHK4l.jpg

dFeNAiMl.jpg

CNXr4d5l.jpg

It's funny, as I was playing more on my monitor purely because of freesync and high refresh rate i.e. to have the game running smooth since my vega 56 not quite up to the job but just setting it to run at 1920x1080 on my oled tv has actually been far better in the end:

- despite no vsync being turned on anywhere at all, there is no screen tearing

- 1920x1080 on my 55" oled tv with 40% radeon sharpening with no dynamic/fidelity res. adjustment looks far superior than my 34" 1440 with a static fidelity setting of 80/85%. As a result my FPS is basically 58+ fps now as opposed to the 48+ (with dips to 30s) I was getting on the monitor. Might switch to a custom 21.9 res. for the extra wideness/FOV goodness though.......

- due to oled instant pixel response, it actually looks and feels smoother, obviously higher FPS helps here

- chinned of hdr completely as blacks are raised and all in all, it just doesn't look right, broken for consoles too so hopefully a patch will fix this as having HDR will take it to another level, especially in a game setting like this

Sharpness wise, it's obviously not quite as good as native 1440P but give me the insane contrast ratio of oled over that tbh (plus not having an anti glare matte coating helps vastly with clarity), that and when sitting 7+ feet from the TV, it is pretty nigh on impossible to spot issues.

All in all, 144HZ freesync 1440 LCD..... PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! :p

Associate
Seem to be getting quite low gpu usage, frame rate is around 60-70 ultra rtx off but does drop a bit here and there.

GPU: 3080 (using latest drivers)
CPU: 3700x

Driving around little china and the usage is around 50-60% for gpu and then around 40-50% for the cpu, from memory im sure this was a lot high earlier into the release.

Associate
I've been playing around with ray tracing settings. I find (with everything else at max) Ultra Ray tracing with Quality DLSS runs well. If I try Psycho Ray tracing with Quality DLSS the frame rates drop a bit too much and I have to put DLSS to balanced.

I wasn't convinced there was much difference between Ultra and Psycho, and I think most of the time there isn't.

During daylight scenes I think I prefer the look of the lighting with psycho on, although it might be placebo. The main thing though is that I have noticed on my system Psycho Ray tracing seems to greatly improve the shadowing in night scenes where there characters (including V) or objects are moving in front of a static source of light (eg parked car with headlights on.) It will cast shadows from objects in front of the light source on to fog/steam/smoke, which ultra doesn't (even with ray traced shadows on.)

It's a little thing, but looks cool and adds a bit more atmosphere. Now I've seen it I prefer it, and want it on even though it means using balanced DLSS which I think takes a bit of definition away from the textures.

I don't know if this is some sort of bug and the ray traced shadowing should be running properly with or without psycho but at the moment it seems to make a difference.

(I'm on a 3090/10700k running at 3440 x 1440.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Still seriously enjoying this game, i spend a huge amount of time just running around and exploring the city and venturing around the badlands looking for trouble or gangs to murder. I do wish some of the buildings were more accessible though, i hope in the future they unlock more buildings to explore and more things to do around the city itself. Think the biggest immersion breaker for me is the cops spawning behind you even if you are high up at an advantage point, there is no reason for them to just spawn like that. I hate to mention GTA5 but if they spawned and arrived more like that in cyberpunk it would make "time killing" a lot more fun when you just wanna run around causing mayhem.

Weirdly im only getting big drops in frame rates in very crowded parts of the city. It can tank from 80fps to around 55fps while driving through these parts. Don't see much of a difference when walking or driving though fps wise. GPU usage is maxed out 99% and cpu around 60%.

Had to tune my gpu overclock several times as it kept freezing, seems to be very sensitive to overclocks.

Associate
1. Whats wrong with wearing lipstick and pink clothes?
2. Whilst EVERYONE was circlejerking CDPR, he was indicating clear failings of the company and the games industry in general.
3. He covers gameplay in separate video to his Jimquisitions. The series are distinctly different for that reason.

Nothing wrong with it.
No he's spreading ideological nonsense, CDPR aren't prison wardens holding workers and gamers hostage, everyone's interactions with them as a business are voluntary, don't like it then don't have anything to do with them. That's not enough when you're heavily invested into weird social justice ideology though, you have to meddle and change everyone else.
I wouldn't go to Jim for a balanced opinion on anything.

Man of Honour
Seem to be getting quite low gpu usage, frame rate is around 60-70 ultra rtx off but does drop a bit here and there.

GPU: 3080 (using latest drivers)
CPU: 3700x

Driving around little china and the usage is around 50-60% for gpu and then around 40-50% for the cpu, from memory im sure this was a lot high earlier into the release.

Worth trying the AMD CPU fix via hex edit which fixes the CPU utilisation with the game which then tails into GPU utilisation too. Even after the patch the hex mod makes it better still if you have an AMD CPU.

Soldato
So I waltzed around the city murdering gang members in their 100s but I find the exp gain is underwhelming compared to the main quests. I'm on hard settings but thinking of bumping it up to very hard to get more of a challenge as you can sit half a mile away with a see-through walls sniper and levelled up mind hacks.

Back
Top Bottom