Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

OcUK Staff
Not a recent purchase but a few months ago, the family lost our King Charles who was 14/15 years old, he was the family pet, my Dad passed away over five years ago, so it was very upsetting when I had to take him the vets to have him put to sleep, but a decision I made for him as he had not suffered, I knew it was coming as a couple of weeks previous he had a funny turn, was maybe a stroke but the following day he was his usual self, perky and cheeky. But then a couple of weeks later, one morning my Mum rang me in tears saying he could not walk and seemed very dis-orientated.

So I left work to go get him and told her it would be to have him put to sleep as I felt due to his age it was obvious his time was nearing and by my Mum and myself most definetely did not wish to try and prolong his life and watch him suffer. Upon me arriving at my Mum's house it was so upsetting to see him and to see him actually run towards me, even if he did bounce of the walls in doing so as he seemed so dizzy, but to see how happy he was.

Holding him in the car he was so loving and it seemed as if he knew it was time, the vet confirmed what I thought and though they could potentially operate they also felt that due to his age and the fact he had not really suffered so far that if we were to put him first that we should put him to sleep and both me and my Mum agreed, he comes first, as such I held him as they injected him and said goodbye, was very saddening.

We gave it a couple of weeks and then ask my Mum how she felt, living alone she truly missed him and so the long and stressful search began in trying to find a puppy from a KC registered breeder that was asking a fair price considering the lock down and how puppy prices had exploded, but even worse was the amount of puppy farms and scammers, we wanted to avoid a puppy farm dog at all cost as its so cruel.

Anyway after a lot of searching and more getting lucky we found a well regarded breeder and got a lovely little Tri girl, who is named Freya and collected her at 9 weeks old, yes she was very expensive for a puppy but the breeder was fair in saying that I could charge you £4000 based on other prices but as they would normally charge £1500 for a girl in pre pandemic times, you can have her for £2000, which we felt was very fair considering all other dogs of the same breed were £3000 plus and none KC registered and likely puppy farms, all that mattered most was my Mum had a companion again and all that mattered to the breeder is that she would not be used for breeding and was going to a good home.

Needless to say this little girl has filled that gap, she is adorable and absolutely loves people and here is a picture of when we took her for second injections and a check over:

121132657_136918398116019_8614657390898150493_n.jpg

Needless to say she is very loved by the whole family and my Mum is far happier. :)

OcUK Staff
Nice one @Gibbo - I’ve all but given up trying to find a reasonably priced Beagle from a decent breeder.

It was getting so stressful because it was not a leisure purchase as to speak, but getting the much needed company my mother required, we always we knew we would have to pay more, but like you were unwilling to pay £4000-5000 for a puppy when they should be around £1500, so £2000 was a very fair price, especially considering she came from a caring breeder who was fully register with all the correct checks for that particular breed.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I don't understand how people can pay for dogs at those prices however props for going the most ethical route you could. I wouldn't pay a penny myself.

My labs 16 and I doubt he'll see next Christmas (I've said this for the last 2 years :D) and not sure what I'll do. Guess I was lucky to rescue a 2 year old working pedigree 14 years ago, maybe something will come up when the time is right.

OcUK Staff
I don't understand how people can pay for dogs at those prices however props for going the most ethical route you could. I wouldn't pay a penny myself.

My labs 16 and I doubt he'll see next Christmas (I've said this for the last 2 years :D) and not sure what I'll do. Guess I was lucky to rescue a 2 year old working pedigree 14 years ago, maybe something will come up when the time is right.

Judging by how puppies seem in such huge demand due to Covid, stay at home etc.
I suspect once Covid is gone, or once stay at home has ended there will be a flood of dogs looking for rehoming unfortunately.

Caporegime
Judging by how puppies seem in such huge demand due to Covid, stay at home etc.
I suspect once Covid is gone, or once stay at home has ended there will be a flood of dogs looking for rehoming unfortunately.

Without a doubt. Just look at how many people seem to have purchased pets on here in the last 9 months.
I know our local shelter saw an influx after the first round of furlough ended. The usual chav staffies though but also a lot of cats.

Soldato
A few purchases over the last week.

Corsair K70 with cherry browns as my old Logitech G15 needed to be retired
A thermometer and probe for the beef wellington i'll be making for my first Christmas alone
Renpho scales as im incredibly fat and ive been putting it off for years to deal with it so i need to act on it before im too old to do anything about it so Christmas is going to be a last hurrah before i need to do a Feek (@Feek You've inspired me minus the shoulder wrecking part)
Glenallachie 15 yr single malt as a festive tipple and a treat to myself this Christmas given the circumstances

k96c3r8.png

Soldato

I dont understand why paying 1 to 2k is unpalatable for a dog considering its lifetime cost will far exceed this, just in food, toys, insurance, grooming and vet bills (let's hazard a guess at £10 to 15k). Nevermind considering dog walking (varies per person) but easily can be 10k+/lifetime if you pay for someone to do it on weekdays etc.

Rescues are great for a lot of people but dont work for all (need to know temperament, allergies etc).

It is a shame there will be dogs being taken on in lockdown without a view of how families look to care for them after this, but i like to hope they're in the minority.

P. S. Gibbo very cute puppy

I know my australian labradoodle was a bit more than gibbo's but know the going rate was high anyways. Mine was a 15ish % uplift in lockdown from a good breeder family have used before (with all relevant accreditations, dna testing etc.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom