Google Pixel 5

Soldato
My pixel 5 back cracked earlier this month, right in front of the main camera. I didn't notice for a few days as it was a hairline crack so I just assumed my lens was dirty so I kept wiping it thinking as there was some small light flares in my photos but it wasn't too bad until I finally noticed the crack after the issue wouldn't disappear, but then dirt got into the crack a few days later and made it worse. No idea how it cracked, not sure if I had dropped it (I've always had a spigen rugged case on it) or if it was a manufacturing related issue.

I have phone insurance with my bank so paid the £50 excess to use it, they couldn't repair it and had no replacement pixel 5 to send me, so offered me either a pixel 4, samsung s10+ or £599.. took the cash, so not a bad deal especially as I still have the bose headphones. Just need to decide what to do next, pixel 5 had great battery life and was reliable, I was happy enough with it but seems abit dull to just buy the same phone again

Did they let you keep the old one ?

Associate
Did they let you keep the old one ?
Unfortunately not. I had to send them it for review to see if they could fix it and they had it when they offered me the cash. Was hoping to have it fixed for Christmas as I had to change to the 0.6x wide angle camera anytime I wanted to take a photo and its focus on close objects wasn't great. It also defaulted to the main camera if I zoomed it whilst on the 0.6x lens.

Associate
OK I’ve got my Pixel 5, and yet again, I’m having problems with the finger print reader.

First of all its nearly impossible to hit the target without turning the phone around and aiming at it.

Secondly, it just fails to work half the time. Even when setting it up it kept saying the fingerprint sensor was dirty even before it was finished reading my fingerprints.

Very very poor and massively worse than my 2XL.

Anyone else having trouble or should I just send this back?

Soldato
It's the easiest screen to replace according to Jerry rig. I guess they could not source a screen.

Opens like a book with ply.
If this is about dbeckett they had a cracked camera glass, not screen
OK I’ve got my Pixel 5, and yet again, I’m having problems with the finger print reader.

First of all its nearly impossible to hit the target without turning the phone around and aiming at i

Secondly, it just fails to work half the time. Even when setting it up it kept saying the fingerprint sensor was dirty even before it was finished reading my fingerprint

Very very poor and massively worse than my 2X

I find the fingerprint reader really quite good (especially coming from the OnePlus 6T's in screw reader) unless it/my finger is wet. A case helps loads with the aiming, I agree it's pretty difficult to hit reliably without one.

Soldato

First of all its nearly impossible to hit the target without turning the phone around and aiming at it.

Secondly, it just fails to work half the time. Even when setting it up it kept saying the fingerprint sensor was dirty even before it was finished reading my fingerprints.

I feel like you have so many problems with phones that maybe the problem is you :D

Have you tried re-adding your prints?

Associate
If this is about dbeckett they had a cracked camera glass, not screenI find the fingerprint reader really quite good (especially coming from the OnePlus 6T's in screw reader) unless it/my finger is wet. A case helps loads with the aiming, I agree it's pretty difficult to hit reliably without one.

Yeah I figured the case will help, I’ve got a fabric case coming tomorrow so lets see how it goes.

I feel like you have so many problems with phones that maybe the problem is you :D

Have you tried re-adding your prints?

Here we go again, I’m the problem again :rolleyes:

It works for a little while then just completely fails to register.

When I was setting it up it keeps saying that fingerprint sensor is dirty. Cleaning it gets it going again, but I literally seem to have to do it after every 5 uses.

Associate
I found an article that suggested turning on the swipe FPS for notifications, so I'm trying that, logging some extra prints, and will wait for my case.

It's behaved since I've turned that on but it could be a coincidence. I hope I can solve it as otherwise seems quite a lovely thing. The 90hz screen smooths things out a bit and I love the form factor, apart from the usb port digging into my finger but this has happened on every phone I've ever used, the size of it is just nice.

Haptics better than I thought, speakers are a bit tinny but fine for casual use. Ultra wide lens is fun and useful but still wished for a telephoto as well. The phone itself seems subjectively fast and smooth, not sure what the complaints are about there tbh! Lovely to have wireless charging back too.

Associate
Stabilisation excellent, noise higher than other phones. Dynamic range good.

Can’t comment on 25fps

Miles behind iPhones.

Cheers for that. It's the noise that kills it for me on the Pixel 2 I've had for three years. Anything indoors just turns to mush. Reluctant to go iPhone Mini 12 but wanted to shoot more video and grab a gimbal.

Soldato

How bizarre, I remember reading all the issues you had with the P2XL on that thread.
To be honest, There has been quite a few times my one hasn't opened but usually when I'm in the gym or similar.

Associate
How bizarre, I remember reading all the issues you had with the P2XL on that thread.
To be honest, There has been quite a few times my one hasn't opened but usually when I'm in the gym or similar.

Since turning that option on I don’t seem to have had an issue. I am however now triggering notifications by accident as I keep moving my finger across it by mistake. Also in landscape mode as the bezels are so slim I’m triggering it with my palm! I think the case will be a game changer for it in an even bigger way than it was with my 2XL; ironically I’ve been using that naked today and have triggered false touches on that with its curved screen, something the case prevented.

I think (hope) these issues can be fixed. I am really enjoying the phone otherwise. One thing I initially didn’t think was much of an upgrade was the screen, but having used it a bit more, it really is, it goes brighter, dimmer, doesn’t suffer black crush, has more natural colours, smoother movement with the higher refresh rate, and is more immersive with those thin bezels. I am really enjoying that aspect of it at the moment.

Associate
I have weirdly had no issues at all with the FPS since turning the swipe/notifications option on. I have now had the static grey case delivered and its transformed the phone. Feels less toy like, gives something to aim for and just feels nice in the hand. Having had one on my 2XL also, I am definitely a fan of these cases. I went out with it earlier sans case and was concerned I was going to drop it! Definitely reassuring to have on.

Soldato
I found an article that suggested turning on the swipe FPS for notifications, so I'm trying that, logging some extra prints, and will wait for my case.

It's behaved since I've turned that on but it could be a coincidence. I hope I can solve it as otherwise seems quite a lovely thing. The 90hz screen smooths things out a bit and I love the form factor, apart from the usb port digging into my finger but this has happened on every phone I've ever used, the size of it is just nice.

Haptics better than I thought, speakers are a bit tinny but fine for casual use. Ultra wide lens is fun and useful but still wished for a telephoto as well. The phone itself seems subjectively fast and smooth, not sure what the complaints are about there tbh! Lovely to have wireless charging back too.
Just seen your post and have been having the same issue. Wasn't sure if it's cos i setup fingerprint while the phone was without a case, and then using it with a case the FPS hardly worked. The only easy way around it was by using smart lock with my galaxy active watch.

When taking off my case it seems to work almost all the time, but just tried enabling the swipe option and will see how i get on. It's been so frustrating i've missed the simplicity of my previous S10+ on screen FPS.

Associate
Just seen your post and have been having the same issue. Wasn't sure if it's cos i setup fingerprint while the phone was without a case, and then using it with a case the FPS hardly worked. The only easy way around it was by using smart lock with my galaxy active watch.

When taking off my case it seems to work almost all the time, but just tried enabling the swipe option and will see how i get on. It's been so frustrating i've missed the simplicity of my previous S10+ on screen FPS.

There's a few theories floating about with this one. One suggestion is that setting the phone up from a backup can cause it. Which I did, but I've not bothered resetting my phone.

Personally I think I've solved the problem. One or a combination thereof: turning on the swipe the fingerprint reader for notifications; deleting and re-adding fingerprints, including adding at least 2 for each finger; adding a case so it was easier to hit the target. Never had an issue at all in the last 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom