• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 5950x a dud?

Associate
Well, I trust HWinfo because it says my CPU is great :p
Trust benchmarks instead.
If those boost speeds are real you should be getting near 1700 CB23 single-threaded.

That goes to OP as well. Who cares what the numbers in monitoring software are, as long as performance is good.

Associate
12531e41f9bd8797aa3dae57ce7186e0.jpg

5950x straight in, 100% stock bios, 1 run of r20 multi and single. Just the same, not all core hit 4.9. Must be another dud...

I'll show you clocks after I've had a play about with it tomorrow. ;)

Soldato
OP
5950x straight in, 100% stock bios, 1 run of r20 multi and single. Just the same, not all core hit 4.9. Must be another dud...I'll show you clocks after I've had a play about with it tomorrow. ;)
that's only after 12 minutes and you've already wiped the floor with mine :D Mine's been going for 14 hours and I still haven't hit even 4.8Ghz on any of the cores on my CCD2. Something is definitely not right:

783iKtc.png

Unusual.
Seems like CCD2 will need heroic negative amounts of Curve Optimizer to boost higher.
I suspect you are right :( I've done lots of fiddling in curve optimizer but no luck whatsoever.

Associate
that's only after 12 minutes and you've already wiped the floor with mine :D Mine's been going for 14 hours and I still haven't hit even 4.8Ghz on any of the cores on my CCD2. Something is definitely not right:

I suspect you are right :( I've done lots of fiddling in curve optimizer but no luck whatsoever.

I had the same issue as you earlier today

TULgOCNh.jpg

A reinstall of windows helped, but also notice HWInfo is not reporting the correct boost clocks. After the install PBO CO worked again and all cores are going between 5050 - 5175 now although HWInfo is not reporting it properly

DyAiO4uh.jpg

Soldato
OP
I had the same issue as you earlier today

A reinstall of windows helped, but also notice HWInfo is not reporting the correct boost clocks. After the install PBO CO worked again and all cores are going between 5050 - 5175 now although HWInfo is not reporting it properly
Very interesting.. what prompted you to reinstall windows?

Associate
Very interesting.. what prompted you to reinstall windows?

I was running a temporary install as I knew I’d be crashing a lot testing the breaking point of all my components. I had originally seen PBO with CO working fine and then it suddenly not. Others have reported similar cases of PBO with CO doing nothing for them too. After trying a Bios reset with no change, the next logical step was an OS reinstall which seemed to do the trick.

It all went downhill though after installing ICue, which I haven’t reinstalled yet. Will be interesting to see what happens when that’s installed.

Soldato
OP
I was running a temporary install as I knew I’d be crashing a lot testing the breaking point of all my components. I had originally seen PBO with CO working fine and then it suddenly not. Others have reported similar cases of PBO with CO doing nothing for them too. After trying a Bios reset with no change, the next logical step was an OS reinstall which seemed to do the trick.

It all went downhill though after installing ICue, which I haven’t reinstalled yet. Will be interesting to see what happens when that’s installed.
I have iCue installed although I close it when running benchmarks. Seems very odd how applications can affect core speed measurement in this way.

Associate
I have iCue installed although I close it when running benchmarks. Seems very odd how applications can affect core speed measurement in this way.

I haven’t installed it again yet, but I’ll let you know if it changes anything. Still testing stability of my PBO CO curve which is causes random reboots at idle. This has to be a bios thing as I’ve seen a lot about this.

Soldato
OP
I haven’t installed it again yet, but I’ll let you know if it changes anything. Still testing stability of my PBO CO curve which is causes random reboots at idle. This has to be a bios thing as I’ve seen a lot about this.
Hey, any developments on this? Super curious to see if there's a software issue that messes with CCD2 core speed readings.

Associate
Hey, any developments on this? Super curious to see if there's a software issue that messes with CCD2 core speed readings.

Just tested now and after installing iCUE PBO with CO makes no difference again. I cant get past 5 ghz on any core no matter the CO settings ICUE definitely screws with it. Just going to try one more thing

Soldato
OP
Just tested now and after installing iCUE PBO with CO makes no difference again. I cant get past 5 ghz on any core no matter the CO settings ICUE definitely screws with it. Just going to try one more thing
Can't believe my eyes :eek: killed iCue and stopped all the Corsair services. Within 15 mins I'm seeing 5/8 of my cores on CCD2 over 4.9GHz... wtf :D

dD3KT7v.png
I did also update AMD chipset drivers to latest but I'm 99% sure that didn't make any difference here as the hwinfo core speeds didn't change at all. Deffo onto something I think, perhaps the iCue monitoring software has been messing with the HWiNFO64 monitors... :confused:

Managed to score 632 on Cinebench R20 single core as well which I think is the best I've seen yet. Very promising :cool:

Gonna play with my PBO and CO settings a bit more to see what I get now...

Associate
Can't believe my eyes :eek: killed iCue and stopped all the Corsair services. Within 15 mins I'm seeing 5/8 of my cores on CCD2 over 4.9GHz... wtf :D

dD3KT7v.png
I did also update AMD chipset drivers to latest but I'm 99% sure that didn't make any difference here as the hwinfo core speeds didn't change at all. Deffo onto something I think, perhaps the iCue monitoring software has been messing with the HWiNFO64 monitors... :confused:

Managed to score 632 on Cinebench R20 single core as well which I think is the best I've seen yet. Very promising :cool:

Gonna play with my PBO and CO settings a bit more to see what I get now...

iCue also messes with the Ryzen Master readings too, but I notice with iCue running more than one core is running on single threaded loads using boost tester which lowers the boost clock.

Associate
Has anyone with a 5950X managed to get boost clock to actually hit over 5GHz? If so, can you please post specs and settings. I cannot get mine over 5GHz no matter what I do...

Associate
iCue also messes with the Ryzen Master readings too, but I notice with iCue running more than one core is running on single threaded loads using boost tester which lowers the boost clock.

Sure does, I like to check my PSU usage in detail, iCue does that, but it also appeared to cause Ryzen Master to not start. iCUE had to go.

Back
Top Bottom