What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Agree with most of that list but think Hereditary is ridiculously over hyped. Not a bad movie by any stretch but the praise it gets isn't deserved.

It's one of those films that I seem to appreciate more each time I view it, like extra detail that I missed.

As for The House That Jack Built, probably better for you to avoid that one. :)

Soldato
It's one of those films that I seem to appreciate more each time I view it, like extra detail that I missed.

I will be rewatching it again soon as missus wants to see it after I showed her Ari Asters other horror, Midsommar the other day, a film i've now seen 3 times and enjoy more each time. As you mentioned for Hereditary, mountains of detail that becomes apparent on a rewatch.

Associate
AVA (2020) - 3/10

An unoriginal female hitman movie made slightly less unoriginal by focusing on her messed up life, family and struggle to cope with addiction instead of the exotic locales, interesting villains and exciting action scenes.

Good acting from the cast, but they don’t have much to work with and are mostly wasted in this slow and dull movie.

The fight scenes are ok, if few and far between and a bit stiff, the locations are underused and apart from the intro, there’s no style to it at all.

Soldato
Just seen Drive/2011 - Ryan Gosling - must be his chez d'ouevre, a bit reminiscent of the magnificent Leon,
haven't yet bothered to watch BR2049 to its completion but this, in comparison, is gripping and atmospheric,
soundtrack I'll be loading https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B007EU12SI

I feel like Drive could be an absolute classic if they'd either cast someone else or made it clear Goslings character has some kind of mental issue. I find him excruciatingly painful to watch on screen during that movie, it's hard to tell if it's bad acting or direction. I love everything else about it though and the music is excellent.

Soldato
I feel like Drive could be an absolute classic if they'd either cast someone else or made it clear Goslings character has some kind of mental issue.
I think his performance makes the movie what it is. That and the soundtrack. The guy is most likely a psychopath. Who else goes from snogging his girl to stomping face in 5 seconds flat? All with no emotion. That's the point...

Soldato
I think his performance makes the movie what it is. That and the soundtrack. The guy is most likely a psychopath. Who else goes from snogging his girl to stomping face in 5 seconds flat? All with no emotion. That's the point...

Nah, I just think he's an average actor, he's like that in a lot of films. Especially anything he's in by Nicolas 'pretentious' Refn.

Rest of the film I like a lot though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I concur. Love Drive and it wouldn’t have been the film it was without him being that way.

Associate
Beats - on Sky Cinema:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7524414/

Watched it when it originally came out last year - a film about the illegal rave scene back in the early 90s, centred around two Scottish lads whose lives are about to take very different directions.

I really enjoyed this film, and if you are of a similar age to me (40) and have a penchant for early rave/dance music it's definitely worth a watch.

It's all filmed in black and white, but does not in any way detract from the film, if anything it adds to the grit.

Cracking soundtrack as well.

Associate
Beats - on Sky Cinema:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7524414/

Watched it when it originally came out last year - a film about the illegal rave scene back in the early 90s, centred around two Scottish lads whose lives are about to take very different directions.

I really enjoyed this film, and if you are of a similar age to me (40) and have a penchant for early rave/dance music it's definitely worth a watch.

It's all filmed in black and white, but does not in any way detract from the film, if anything it adds to the grit.

Cracking soundtrack as well.

Just up my street, thanks!

Soldato
Just watched Unhinged.

Better than I thought it was going to be, looks like Russell Crowe had to eat a serious amount of food for this role, either that or a body suit.

Soldato
Watched another Pam Grier movie last night: Coffy.

Was similar to Foxy Brown really, woman on a bloody revenge mission to take out criminals. Good, though, I enjoyed it.

Went straight in and started another of hers: the Big Bird Cage. Seems fun enough so far. I'm beginning to think Grier's huge boobs casually falling out of her loose fitting clothes was almost an entire genre in the 70s. No complaints.

Soldato
I see You.

Not a bad mystery, keeps you watching and has a nice switch half way through.

Bit slow a disconnected in places in the first half but stick with it.

worth a watch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom