I bought a coach!

Soldato
What classes it as a commercial vehicle, i.e. would a transit not be ok but an RV would be? If youre making it into a motorhome, surely it's not a commercial vehicle (may be a grey area).

Soldato
Of course they can as it's likely a private parking area to which his lease entitles him to a space with a restriction on commercial vehicles. The biggest mystery is why he even considered it might be ok to park that in a flat parking area :D

Does seem to be something of an oversight when buying a coach...

Man of Honour
What classes it as a commercial vehicle, i.e. would a transit not be ok but an RV would be? If youre making it into a motorhome, surely it's not a commercial vehicle (may be a grey area).

Generally commercial vehicle covenants also cover vans and caravans and camper vans. They are typically ignored by those who sign agreement to it and simply don't care, but expecting to get away with a coach in the same way you'd maybe get away with a VW Transporter is a bit of a stretch!

Soldato
OP
Of course they can as it's likely a private parking area to which his lease entitles him to a space with a restriction on commercial vehicles. The biggest mystery is why he even considered it might be ok to park that in a flat parking area :D

You're completely wrong, it is a building plot that used to be the garden of the House I live in and has a driveway up to it. So that is why I thought it was ok (it is) and after getting the landowners permission. You know what assume does Fox?

My lease has no restrictions and my landlord is fine, just whingey neighbours who "don't want to see it". There is no "no commercial vehicle" clause as the property is freehold, no lease involved. My landlord owns the land so technically it is parked in "my back garden".

DVLA will not even look at reclassifying a Coach/Bus into a motorhome anymore, it will be either a coach or a private passenger vehicle or at worst, a PHGV. IF I was operating a commercial business then my operators licence would require me to have designated off road parking with planning permission, but I am not, so I don't need that. Effectively this is a class 5 so perfectly legal to park it there or even on the road if I leave parking lights on during the darkness hours.

Soldato
OP
Does seem to be something of an oversight when buying a coach...

No oversight involved, it was checked and is perfectly legal. The only reason I am gonna move it is because I don't want to jeopardise my landlords planning permission. I am moving it for peace, not for legality. I could be an ass and not move it as I have permission but I am not that kinda guy.

Man of Honour
There is no "no commercial vehicle" clause as the property is freehold, no lease involved

It doesn't need to be leasehold to have a covenant restriction, my house is freehold and there is still a restrictive covenant in place. It's largely ignored but I'd imagine wouldn't be if I decided to buy a Volvo FH12 :D

Soldato
OP
Fair enough. My property (That I own) is also a freehold, however we still had to sign a clause when we moved onto the development.

Yes, this is common on newer developments, however, mine is an "ex-council" area that doesn't have any restrictions. Typically they only cover the road and use of parking spaces, sadly (for them) this is parked in "my back garden" so tough. But anyway, like I said, it will be moved as soon as I can find somewhere, which is looking good right now. It's not what you know, it's who you know and I have friends who know some of the wealthiest landowners in the area ;)

PS. The road itself has no restrictions on weight, type of vehicle either so if I wanted to be annoying, and the Coach is legal.... :D

Soldato
OP
LMAO guys, yeah I know, it is typical of people who don't have anything in their lives to worry about, they find something.

And yes, it isn't spoiling the scenery, in fact, I think it improves it, not exactly some broken down rusty wreck now is it? :D

Can't type for toffee
Don
Sorry I was working on north east parking shenanigans, buy a new build and you may get half a bay to share with your 3rd neighbour down as long as there's no visitors :p

I'd think it would be hilarious to park one of these in Heaton lol

Soldato
OP
What an unexpected development. What has become of the world if you can't park a huge old coach behind your flat?

I can, it's just that nimbys whinge and I am not one to upset my neighbours. If it costs me a few grand a year to store it, it is chicken feed in the grand scheme.

I love the motors style of comment, they act as if I didn't do my research and get the proper authorisation first... "Oh I know, I will just stick it on this land that somebody else owns and not ask for permission first"

:rolleyes:

Soldato
I love the motors style of comment, they act as if I didn't do my research and get the proper authorisation first... "Oh I know, I will just stick it on this land that somebody else owns and not ask for permission first"

This forum is bloody toxic at the best of times mate. I hope you get another place sorted soon!

Commissario
Is this your neighbour?

Patricia-Routledge-in-Keeping-up-Appearances.jpg
Nah I suspect the neighbour is more of a Karen

Soldato
LOVE THIS! :D

I bought a sprinter end of last year to convert into a campervan, have a very very basic fit out done (Bed, 12v electrics & solar, and a sofa chucked in there) at the moment which did a week in Cornwall in August fine, but mechanical issues with the van and mechanical issues with my back (A much more expensive repair bill for my back after surgery :() has halter progress.

1600aH of lithium batteries :eek:

Have you considered more 12v than 240v appliances, such as the fridge? Obviously you'll have one of the biggest battery banks around, but i'd still be obsessed with getting power usage as low and as efficient as possible haha!

Subscribed to thread, really excited to see how you get on!

If you ever find yourself in Essex and need a hand with anything let me know, i've become obsessed with conversions over the last few years and can't wait to get stuck back into mine :)

Back
Top Bottom